IGNORED

free portal

o00o

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm very curious to see what they are going to do for a linux version of Steam. Ports of source-engine games would be utterly amazing. Should be possible since they apparently got the source engine running on OpenGL now. Valve is doing great things to keep PC gaming alive.

i'm imagining similar to what iD did for doom 3 linux - the map files remain the same. doom 3 linux just required you to purchase a pc copy and then you could download the linux engine for free and copy the map files over. i reckon it'll be a sort of similar setup with steam. can't see them open-sourcing jack shit though, lol. so possibly something like only red hat and debian derivatives supported?

I'm hoping it would be a little more seamless. It's rumored (or maybe confirmed?) they'd bring Steam to Linux so that takes care of distribution and installation of the games. Sure, closed-source binaries are largely not distributed through the official repositories. But something like Steam would certainly be added to repositories like Medibuntu or AUR in a matter of hours. And if they're working on getting the source engine working on a wide variety of platforms I'm sure they'd be able to cope with a generic X/ALSA and Nvidia closed-source drivers.

I'm reading some reviews of the OSX port and am very impressed that it is visually equivalent to the DirectX version on Windows.

EDIT: Yeah it is confirmed. This is amazing.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=valve_steam_announcement&num=1

until there's an announcement from Valve, i'll take this with a large helping of salt. as far as i'm concerned, until Valve make an announcement, it is certainly not "confirmed"

i dunno, listings of script files are enough for me

it's still not enough for me - just because there's scripts showing that Valve are playing around with Linux support doesn't mean that it's going to happen. i only need point to the information in the Raising The Bar book to show that a lot of stuff Valve had played around with, didn't make it.

it'd be really cool if it happens, but i'm not gonna hold my breath on it. and i'm not going to take anything less than a statement from Valve as confirmation.

and here is the confirmation i was waiting for...

...that i was right.

Guest Billov

Read the youtube comments everybody hates him

I'll take your word for it... youtube comments stress me out...

I've been playing through Portal this week, good game interestingly hostile atmosphere... It's tough though I'm stuck on 18 :shrug: I get what I need to do for the section I'm in just can't seem to execute it fast enough, damn energy balls. :angry:

I've been playing through Portal this week, good game interestingly hostile atmosphere... It's tough though I'm stuck on 18 :shrug: I get what I need to do for the section I'm in just can't seem to execute it fast enough, damn energy balls. :angry:

Yeah, that took me a while given my apparently total lack of coordination.

I haven't finished 18 yet-- I was forced to stop by the crapping up of OSX's graphics drivers in 10.6.4, but the recently released graphics update from apple seems to make things playable again. But now I'm stuck scrambling to keep a temp job while I search for new jobs, so I'm hesitant to fall back into the game even though there's barely anything left. Mostly because I know I'll lapse into HL2 immediately afterward.

^

cool story, baph/bro

Archived