IGNORED

The Official 2010 World Cup Thread

Guest Mirezzi

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Enter a new display name

Stupid question: why do they extend the match so much? The referees want to give the American players a chance or what?

Guest Mirezzi

Congrats to Ghana, and, to the United States, who were incredibly enjoyable to watch and support. No egregious injustices suffered by either team.

The only critical thing I can say about Bradley in this tournament is with regards to his starting 11 tonight. Clark was a huge mistake.

I thought the U.S. were better tonight, but they fell short on too many of their chances. Gyan's strike, with a defender draped over him, was clinical and no mortal keeper could have stopped it. :whistling:

Glad to see Africa still have a horse in the race.

the 3 minute of extra time was a little bit much. don't remember there being that much stoppage

No it fucking wasn't. The 1 minute to end the first 15 minutes was too little and the fake injuries in the second 15 minutes were a bit ridiculous.

I digress though, it's over and done with. :unsure:

Guest Mirezzi

And Altidore once again proved my theory right that he can't hit a barn door.

Yep.

Really, one moment of brilliance decided this match, but it was one of the more brilliant moments of the entire tournament so far, so...I mean, look at the Suarez strike against ROK. That's the difference between teams that advance deep in the tournament and the rest of the pretenders. Same with Gyan's left-footed winner. The United States don't have that sort of precision finishing and like Korea, relied on tactics and heart, but lacked quality. That's not gonna get you to the final.

I now fully expect Ghana to get torn to shreds by Uruguay.

Gotta love the Tim Howard / Richard Kingston collision toward the end of the game. Hilarious.

Guest inteeliguntdesign

USA can be proud of themselves in this tournament, I think. A few errors in that game, nothing too awful though. That match could have gone either way really.

The 3 minutes added on was just about fair. Ghana were getting ridiculous in the second half of extra time, especially with that "injury", which lasted for a minute and a half alone.

Uruguay are going to win the next match against Ghana anyway. They far outclass Ghana and USA.

Guest Mirezzi

I like Donovan. Very well-spoken in postgame. "We were too naive."

Pretty much sums it up. You give up a TERRIBLY soft goal within 5 minutes of the match beginning and....just....... :facepalm:

And Altidore once again proved my theory right that he can't hit a barn door.

Yep.

Really, one moment of brilliance decided this match, but it was one of the more brilliant moments of the entire tournament so far, so...I mean, look at the Suarez strike against ROK. That's the difference between teams that advance deep in the tournament and the rest of the pretenders. Same with Gyan's left-footed winner. The United States don't have that sort of precision finishing and like Korea, relied on tactics and heart, but lacked quality. That's not gonna get you to the final.

I now fully expect Ghana to get torn to shreds by Uruguay.

Gotta love the Tim Howard / Richard Kingston collision toward the end of the game. Hilarious.

amen. very well said. agree 100%.

Guest Mirezzi

It's painful being American at times like these...

Taken from ESPN.com user comments:

Jesus Christ.... What an embarrassment. Doesn't AMERICAN soccer have any pride or gameplan to beat a THIRD world nation??

Players passing the ball to no one or even worse, passing it to a player from Ghana? WTF? Doesn't AMERICA have the ability to train our NATIONAL players better than players from GHANA?

Why don't we send our players to Ghana to train? Maybe we would be able to compete with GHANA at least. Thank GOD AMERICA has the female players that can hold up USA soccer pride.

So if England loses, will Capello get the boot? One would think with the revolving door of the latest years on the manager position, they might want to keep the guy a little bit longer to get some sort of continuity and identity to the national team.

So if England loses, will Capello get the boot? One would think with the revolving door of the latest years on the manager position, they might want to keep the guy a little bit longer to get some sort of continuity and identity to the national team.

It was looking likely that if we didn't qualify he would leave/get fired, but because now we are in the last 16 and against Germany i think he would stay on to fight another day

Archived