IGNORED

Witch House. Pitchfork Article Worth listening too.

beerwolf

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ms-dos

oOoOO: "Seaww" sounds like a late 80s cure instrumental.

balam acab sounds like an uninspired joker track.

not feeling white ring.

i like the idea of this music, but imo it's not executed so well here. the silent diane track at the bottom was good though. it's like she took those old, bombastic mu-ziq beats, hushed them a bit, and then pulled seefeel into the studio to stretch their gauze over the rhythms. very promising.

Guest Lube Saibot

not feeling most of the tracks, but Balam Acab's "Heavy Living Things" is in a realm that Joker couldn't touch even with Burial in his lap telling him what to do

this boy, and this boy alone out of the whole lot, is going places

juss sayin

Guest ms-dos

heavy lifting things was indeed better than see birds. still wasn't feeling it as much as the silent diane.

Guest Glass Plate

I had been wondering why this label was exploding, didn't know it was posted on pitch fork.

I'm not that into it but I haven't listened to any whole albums or anything.

Guest raan

The problem is that all these people sound absolutely the same. It seems that they are trying too hard to be like Salem.

Guest raan

None of these guys have an album. They just have some EPs and some free-to-download tracks. That´s how "the scene" works.

The problem is that all these people sound absolutely the same.

Agreed, lack of diversity oftens kills these genres/scenes/whatever before they become more influencial and interesting.

Guest nene multiple assgasms

I like the sound, it's just that the quality of a lot of the tracks (on that pitchfork page) could be better. I think I might check out salem, though. am I right that the name witch house doesn't refer to house music at all, but like a haunted house?

Guest raan

am I right that the name witch house doesn't refer to house music at all, but like a haunted house?

that's a good question. i think it really refers to house music but i don't know.

• 2 months later...
Guest nene multiple assgasms

I was listening to the fever ray album last night and realized that concrete walls sounds just like witch house/drag/screwgaze.

I've dug a few of the songs I've heard. It feels like if David Lynch made dubstep or something to that effect.

It's definitely a fad though.

this music is not bad, some of it (the more industiralish stuff) sounds like a much less diverse and minimal version of what Katabatik out of oakland are doing right now. you can download their newest comp for free here - http://www.katabatik.org/kollektion/

some of it can be described as shoegazy or minimal wave, but it's executed a hell of a lot better than the majority of the stuff on the pitchfork page. i guess katabatik has a lot more in common with weird records than this witchhouse phenomenon though

Guest Backson

too bad the names get more attention than the fact a community of beat producers have joined the dots between demo culture, hip hop and paganism.

Archived