IGNORED

Witch House. Pitchfork Article Worth listening too.

beerwolf

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so what i take away from this is there is practically no point if your goal is to get instant attention in music press from making a debut album

instead make a bunch of singles hype the shit out of your stuff and wait for the bloggers to take the bait.

edit: does this oOoOO act really live in San francisco? i know he did a dj set at the milk bar but that's literally the only time i've heard of him/them playing here

I was pretty sure witch house was a joke genre thought up by a couple dude's from 4chan's /mu/ board

I agree Witch House sounds ridiculous lol. But who on here gives a damn about labels/pigeon-holes anyway? Some of the music is okay.

Sometimes the worst thing that can happen is to get labeled in a genre. If it becomes a fad, your music dies on the day that the genre falls out of fashion.

Guest Backson

I was pretty sure witch house was a joke genre thought up by a couple dude's from 4chan's /mu/ board

I agree Witch House sounds ridiculous lol. But who on here gives a damn about labels/pigeon-holes anyway? Some of the music is okay.

Sometimes the worst thing that can happen is to get labeled in a genre. If it becomes a fad, your music dies on the day that the genre falls out of fashion.

definately. this happens time and time again where the stupid-ass bloggers come up with something dumb and by the end of the month all the elitists have shunned anything to do with it.

i mean really, who has a problem with druggy pagan hip hop? christ knows I don't.

I used to visit /mu/ a lot I didn't care for most of what was posted in pretty much the same copy paste "witch house" sharethreads.. there's a couple sitting in my downloads folder I haven't gotten to though. It's a novel concept most ofit just isn't that good though.

interesting to see a massive Oversteps thread style discussion about it, i see a couple of people comparing it to EBM which i don't really hear, atop: am i not hearing the right tracks? Ebm as i idealize it hasn't really been tapped yet for full on retrofetish revival. I'd love to hear some people doing garagey or minimal techno renditions of late 80s/early 90s stuff.

Guest Backson

interesting to see a massive Oversteps thread style discussion about it, i see a couple of people comparing it to EBM which i don't really hear, atop: am i not hearing the right tracks? Ebm as i idealize it hasn't really been tapped yet for full on retrofetish revival. I'd love to hear some people doing garagey or minimal techno renditions of late 80s/early 90s stuff.

maybe they're refering to the Chicago Industrial revival that is closely tied to Drag.

Artists like Gatekeeper (who are fooking awesome), White Car and TENSE all have a an EBM influence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_0JftWlyf4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bepypIZlYRk

we could do this movement a huge favour and not give it a bad name.

yeah they are being lumped in there but I don't like either of those tracks as much as the stuff I posted....

always felt that EBM was the worst genre name I have ever heard...

Witch House is great for horror fans and people who like puns....

I like stuff! :emotawesomepm9:

Guest Backson

yeah they are being lumped in there but I don't like either of those tracks as much as the stuff I posted....

damn, serious?

i think I like the chicago stuff better than most drag just because its less druggy and more... epic i guess. I'm definately hanging out for the next Gatekeeper EP... maybe i should start a whole new thread...

as for the name EBM, i can dig it. well, more than IDM anyway.

eeew, electronic body music? what does that even mean? Wet Orgy Music WOM....just sounds gross to me

but I like the music you showed...but sounds exactly like early 80's Ministry to me

Salem, Balam Acab, o0o00 all have an older sound but with new elements hidden...

and Gatekeeper is the name of an artist on Skull Disco that I like more than the 'drag' one....

What the hell is 'Drag'? another name for shoegaze?

Edumacate me.... :closedeyes:

Guest Backson

eeew, electronic body music? what does that even mean? Wet Orgy Music WOM....just sounds gross to me

but I like the music you showed...but sounds exactly like early 80's Ministry to me

Salem, Balam Acab, o0o00 all have an older sound but with new elements hidden...

and Gatekeeper is the name of an artist on Skull Disco that I like more than the 'drag' one....

What the hell is 'Drag'? another name for shoegaze?

Edumacate me.... :closedeyes:

drag? its just what salem describe themselves as. I think it sounds less ridiculous, nice even. and trying to apply logic to this, I sound ridiculous.

(another name is "screwgaze", but online journalists tend to invent a new name every time the genre is brought up)

also, I've heard a bit about the other Gatekeeper. can you recommend any of his stuff?

While so far, I have waded through a lot of shit, I enjoy some of the music associated with the name Witch House. The original link posted in the OPs post had some interesting stuff.

I really like this:

[youtubehd]J0zYmPKAP18[/youtubehd]

It reminds me of Sunsetcorps/Oneohtrix Point Never's videos on youtube.

Mater Suspira Vision has some interesting visuals on youtube/vimeo which are pretty weird and interesting.

ahh shit my bad...I thought you were making fun of it

and yes, listening to Corsair not chopped up, which I haven't in a while...

damn, Corsair is amazing.... :boc:

Archived