IGNORED

Rapidshare changing to usage-based and charging rent

Rubin Farr

Guest AcrossCanyons

Mediafire is nice, but hey, it's sooo slllllllllllllllow.

slow compared to rapidshare? whaaaaat

(peak time vs peak time rs always shits out on me compared to mediafire)

as for hosting, yes mediafire is great. but when downloading links, RS has been the king for the last 2 yrs almost, although i see a lot moving to sharingmatrix now. i guess splitting files into 100mb RARs is too much trouble for some.

Guest the anonymous forumite

Mediafire is nice, but hey, it's sooo slllllllllllllllow.

slow compared to rapidshare? whaaaaat

(peak time vs peak time rs always shits out on me compared to mediafire)

Well, I never had a dl rate superior to 100kbs on mediafire. At least the double on RS.

RS premium accounts can upload up to 200MB files. I like my premium account RS, but free account RS usage sucks. It's not the worst out there (that's places like uploaded.to and so on).

Mediafire and Megaupload are awesome for free, sharingmatrix is not bad either.

But everything is on RS servers.

Guest Coalbucket PI

I still don't understand a fucking word about what these changes mean but I think they've changed it back?

Rapidshare speeds have always been great for me, but I've never been a premium member of another filehost service.

Didn't it get cheaper than before?

For 99 Rapids users immediately receive a traffic volume of 30 GB and a storage volume of 10 GB which last for 30 days.

400 Rapids 4,99 €

So that's 15 dollars for a full year? I thought I payed much more last renewal.

it is cheaper, but the traffic cap is way down, they used to cut you off after 25gb in 5 days. now it's 30gb for 30 days, and then per gb after that. it is structured to try to get you to go over the limit, unless you're a lite user in which case you would use the free service anyway.

I use both and disagree. I can find a lot of stuff on rapidshare and get much faster download rates without having to seed back. Seeding back a 6GB torrent on a 120kb/s upload rate takes ages, with rapidshare I can get it for free. I like torrents when quality matters and for rare stuff I'd like to keep and seed back. But when I want to try some game or something, I'm not gonna sit on a torrent for a couple of hours and wait weeks to get my buffer back.

private trackers ftw

exactly. rapidshare is for people who suck at torrents.

Coming from you I would have expected "torrents and rapidshare are for people who fail at usenet/irc".

There are lots of great things about torrents, in canada, with my shitty connection at home, torrents bite ass. At school, they're great. No throttling here.

Coming from you I would have expected "torrents and rapidshare are for people who fail at usenet/irc".

usenet costs money, and irc is too much effort. torrents just work. search, click, get.

usenet costs money, and irc is too much effort. torrents just work. search, click, get.

and watch ISP throttling in full effect!!

I do like private trackers - keeping ratio on some of them is impossible though (what I'm looking at you!)

keeping ratio on some of them is impossible though (what I'm looking at you!)

ugh i know. shit, half the things i get from there have 5 d/l's total so it's not like i'm uploading much, and I seed EVERYTHING I d/l from what.

Guest the anonymous forumite

private trackers ftw

or for people who live in countries where downloading is legal but uploading is illegal. :wink:

• 9 months later...
Guest Coalbucket PI

Does anyone understand what they are doing now?

As a pioneer in One Click File Hosting, RapidShare has often ventured into unknown territory, to find the best product for its customers. Now it's time to properly clean up the inventor's workshop, because everything that just sucks finally has to go. Immediately and permanently, RapidPro price include all services indefinitely. This means:

More storage space

As of now, automatic file deletion will no longer exist. With RapidPro, your files are saved until you delete them yourself!

More Traffic

From now on, it is absolutely unlimited. TrafficShare included. It’s that easy!

More speed

We have polished up our software! Uploads, as well as downloads, have been successfully carried out at 500 MBit/s per stream!

More safety

Politics call for the complete monitoring of all internet users. We protect you with automatic SSL-encryption.

Have fun with the new RapidShare: Finally, everything is easy again!

It seems to be back like it was for premium accounts, but you just have to buy 'rapids' and then use them to buy a premium account for a period of time with unlimited download.

Guest Iain C

Who cares? There are loads of good alternatives out there, like the MEDIAFIRE everyone mentioned in this thread last year. These days it seems all of the blogs posting interesting stuff are using mediafire anyway.

Guest Coalbucket PI

I can't find the same range of stuff or get reliable high speeds from any other hosting service or torrents. I was the happiest boy on the internet, why can't I be happy again Iain? I just want to be happy. Why won't you let me be happy?

Guest El_Chemso

Fileserve is just as good as Rapid. But I think on the whole the range of vendors are showing more willing in removing stuff and uploaders are still naming there files DELETE_ME_I'M_ILLEGAL_HDTV and as a result your much less likely to get older things.

Guest Sprigg

keeping ratio on some of them is impossible though (what I'm looking at you!)

ugh i know. shit, half the things i get from there have 5 d/l's total so it's not like i'm uploading much, and I seed EVERYTHING I d/l from what.

I have the same problem with Shellife.

Mediafire and Megaupload are awesome for free, sharingmatrix is not bad either.

Who cares? There are loads of good alternatives out there, like the MEDIAFIRE everyone mentioned in this thread last year. These days it seems all of the blogs posting interesting stuff are using mediafire anyway.

private trackers ftw

im so proud of u guys

It used to be much easier. Back in the rapidshare.de days, it was rare to see another provider being used than megaupload or rapidshare. These days the market has fragmented and rapidshare's popularity keeps going down. Which is understandable because RS is a bitch if you have no premium account and it seems to have shit retention. They messed up their market share.

More storage space

As of now, automatic file deletion will no longer exist. With RapidPro, your files are saved until you delete them yourself!

They should have done this years ago.

Luckily, private trackers are now better for pretty much everything. I wont extend my RS subscription next time.

the reason this sucks, like has been said, is that rapidshare has so much fucking shit on it. You can search it for things, and with a premium account you can download all day long.

what the fuck? did I actually write this? I hardly even use rapidshare.

Archived