IGNORED

Deus Ex

Guest El_Chemso

Ok I've been playing the original. I can totally see how this would have been great back in the day, but I just can't get into it now. I think current technology has spoiled me. Plus the voice acting is horrendous, and the combat is irritating.

I think you really had to have played it back then to appreciate it. I know that if I went back and played the original Thief: Dark project I would be loving it. Thief II: Metal Age was superior though, and that game will always have a special place in my heart.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how can you like Thief and Thief 2 (both two of my favorite games) and slate Deux Ex (another of my favorite games)? I think you need to stick with it. Deus Ex is a funny game; the graphics can be ugly, and certain elements are over the top, even cheesy. It actually took a while for it to sink in that it was equal in my mind to the Thief series. It's definitely a case where the sum is greater than the parts, very much so. I advise sticking with it.

Ok I'll stick with it. I'm up to the level where you have to enter a hotel to get your brothers spare equipment, or something, after finding the barrel of ambrosia near the subway. The way everyone runs around during combat drives me nuts. And I hate how you need 2 keys to activate your special powers. One to turn it on, and another to turn it off. I will try to find a hi-res texture pack.

Guest Sprigg

In Shanghai now. Fucking fantastic game, though I think the Detroit section has far better atmosphere than the Chinese areas.

i've been playing for a while, just finished the first mission in the warehouse or whatever. it's a pretty cool so far, but i hate feeling like i have to read through every single email / newspaper / whatever i come across, most of it isn't even interesting. also i was expecting it to be a bit more of an open world kinda game, like going downtown to visit stores etc whenever i feel like it, right now im just stuck in that sarif building.

Guest Sprigg

Kaen: press start, you should be able to skip it.

And yeah its a bit mote linear than I anticipated, but the sidequests and hub areas are enough to keep me happy.

Mmmyeah, I don't like the combat nor the stealth. And the story isn't all that engaging so far. What I do like is how a lot of actions have story/dialog repercussions. But that's about the only thing keeping me on it for now. Some of the skills look pretty awesome though, so I hope the combat gets a bit more fun once I unlocked some stuff.

this game is really starting to annoy me, since it seems to have such great potential. why did they make the city hubs so small? there are cars parked everywhere even though you can just run everywhere in like 15 seconds, and why isn't there a walk function? goddamnit, nothing ruins the atmosphere in a fps when you just run everywhere, even in small spaces, like in someones office or whatever. this is why i really prefer playing these types of fps's on console, since most of the time you can decide your own pace and not run around like an idiot all the time. and why does EVERYONE i talk to in the streets have something to say about augmentation? every single person is either for or against, why the fuck are they telling me? and couldn't they have added some rain or something to make the streets atleast somewhat atmospheric? grr.

if you think i complain too much, listen to this douche (spoilers).

Hey Pennywise, I love your avatar right now. Nanaki kicks ass! FF7 still remains to be my favorite game of all time. [/off topic]

[on topic] So I should buy this game now at $60? Is it really a must play? I'm currently leaning towards a yes and am thinking about getting it next week when I get paid. Yea or nay watmm?

it's very engrossing and builds a great atmosphere with its music, details and design. but on the other hands it has also got strong negative elements that kill just that. the world feels too sterile and a lifeless, there are very little things and people to interact with, you can't even knock off a bike stand, people never do anything, you can tactically throw a refrigerator at someone during some mission though. it's just a very cool, well thought out playground with a very interesting story but it doesn't feel like a world, in a way oblivion, fallout 3 and gta 4 felt. i don't think it's impossible to make such a game in an open world environment at the current technological stage which would definitely bring it to another level. i'll give it 7.5 for now.

^ Yup. I'd say wait for the price to drop. I doubt I'll even finish this game at this rate. I'd give it a 6 or 5, it's really hard for me to get into. The combat is another bland cover shooter and it's mostly unimersive and dull. Though I have to say, if you like Mass Effect you'll probably like it better than me.

I should look into buying hard copies again so I can resell.

Guest Sprigg

I'm in love, but playing a lethal combat character is no fun. If you sneak and use stealth and try not to get caught, the game shines.

Archived