IGNORED

Esquivel Appreciation

posture

I love this music. Every time I put it on, I imagine sitting in a leather armchair and smoking out of a tobacco pipe, while listening to it on a hi-fi system, in a fallout shelter, in the 1950's, with some fake palm tree like plants in the corner.

[youtubehd]ZRwaLYucp64[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]pxbVAJbGHYg[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]Kucrl7nVj7U[/youtubehd]

Great thread... so far!

I love me some Esquivel.

A friend got me into him when I was in high school (during my metal-head years)... through the "Incredibly Strange Music" compilation series. Ever since, I've been a fan.

I've heard some strange rumors about his methods:

- Somewhere I heard he was extremely O.C.D. and could only sit in way that his knees were bent at perfect right angles.

- I also heard that he did bizarre/unorthodox things with recording techniques like recording multiple orchestras simultaneously in different buildings.

esquivel_1.jpg

I love this music. Every time I put it on, I imagine sitting in a leather armchair and smoking out of a tobacco pipe, while listening to it on a hi-fi system, in a fallout shelter, in the 1950's, with some fake palm tree like plants in the corner.

I have never heard of a better description of this music.

Great thread... so far!

I love me some Esquivel.

A friend got me into him when I was in high school (during my metal-head years)... through the "Incredibly Strange Music" compilation series. Ever since, I've been a fan.

I've heard some strange rumors about his methods:

- Somewhere I heard he was extremely O.C.D. and could only sit in way that his knees were bent at perfect right angles.

- I also heard that he did bizarre/unorthodox things with recording techniques like recording multiple orchestras simultaneously in different buildings.

esquivel_1.jpg

Yeah IMO he really experimented with stereo, which I find really fucking amazing. I love his arrangements, they are really unique. Listening to his music makes me wonder where the fuck is the brass in music these days? That shit can be so powerful sounding, I especially love towards the end of a note when they apply what I'd describe as vibrato or crazy LFO (lol, I'm an electronic music fan and musician so I don't know the correct terminology) pitch fuckery, it's so bad sounding.

Also that is a fucking cool picture, thanks for posting it. Shame it's not higher res.

Does anyone have any recommendations for similar music? I'm looking for huge horns, lots of dynamic range, interesting and well thought out arrangements and imaginative use of stereo space, weird instruments and instrumentation is a plus. I know of Les Baxter and Martin Denny, where else should I look?

Archived