IGNORED

doctor's appointment

keltoi

are you obliged to make up the time if you have a doctor's appointment during work hours?

i'm not sure of the law on this but i was made to feel guilty for my first work-time doc or dentist appointment in maybe 4 years.

i'm not making up the time. fuck 'em.

october 15th for full formation of babby... i get 2 weeks full paid paternity which is more than state entitlement.

i work over all the time though... i'm away for an hour and get snidey comments. in 2 weeks i'm working 12 days straight for an exhibition with no paid overtime.

My understanding of the law is that basically your employer isn't obliged to let you have time off for a doctors appointment. You'll have to use annual leave or unpaid leave. However most employers aren't going to be too fussed I'm sure, and as you mentioned when you work long hours anyway if you pop out for a couple of hours then it's unlikely to be a problem. Again I think it's the same with dependents, but there is a law which says that employer should let you have time off if an emergency situation arises with a dependent (but not a routine appointment or whatever).

At my work at a university, our policy is that people should try and make appointments at the beginning or end of the day and avoid the core hours of 10-3. We have to work around teaching commitments anyway.

My understanding of the law is that basically your employer isn't obliged to let you have time off for a doctors appointment. You'll have to use annual leave or unpaid leave. However most employers aren't going to be too fussed I'm sure, and as you mentioned when you work long hours anyway if you pop out for a couple of hours then it's unlikely to be a problem. Again I think it's the same with dependents, but there is a law which says that employer should let you have time off if an emergency situation arises with a dependent (but not a routine appointment or whatever).

At my work at a university, our policy is that people should try and make appointments at the beginning or end of the day and avoid the core hours of 10-3. We have to work around teaching commitments anyway.

cheers for the info. yeah i made the appointment for 1st thing in the morning but it meant i was an hour late after my commute.

i'm never off ill and never take sickies... noone says anything when i start early, stay late, or work through lunch to get things done. if we worked it all out i'd probably be owed a load of time, not the other way round.

october 15th for full formation of babby... i get 2 weeks full paid paternity which is more than state entitlement.

i work over all the time though... i'm away for an hour and get snidey comments. in 2 weeks i'm working 12 days straight for an exhibition with no paid overtime.

wao, hao gae.

i'm never off ill and never take sickies... noone says anything when i start early, stay late, or work through lunch to get things done. if we worked it all out i'd probably be owed a load of time, not the other way round.

Well if they give you stick about making up time,bring up all the free lunches that they have gotten off you. Some people at work just live to be cocks, but then when confronted with reality will back down. It's a power trip thing, so stick up for yourself mate, you're an hard-working valuable employee.

[edit] Make sure you are nice about it though, nice but firm. No point making enemies, just like i said, stick up for yourself and point out what you do for the firm, so these laeznors actually get a clue.

cheers for the info. yeah i made the appointment for 1st thing in the morning but it meant i was an hour late after my commute.

The problem is the employer must be seen to treat all employees the same, including the useless slackers. And of course this doesn't mean fair in any common sense way. It may be the case that your employer appreciates the extra work but took umbrage at a perceived assumption on your part that it would be ok. Maybe test them out with an email asking for their policy. They should come back with an email that acknowledges your contribution but stating the policy etc. If they don't, they're fuckwits and you have a moral obligation to chemically castrate them and stop them breeding.

The problem is the employer must be seen to treat all employees the same, including the useless slackers. And of course this doesn't mean fair in any common sense way. It may be the case that your employer appreciates the extra work but took umbrage at a perceived assumption on your part that it would be ok. Maybe test them out with an email asking for their policy. They should come back with an email that acknowledges your contribution but stating the policy etc. If they don't, they're fuckwits and you have a moral obligation to chemically castrate them and stop them breeding.

it's a small company so i can speak to him if it becomes a problem... i work with only 6 people in this office (plus 10 guys out on jobs) and work closely with my boss daily.

alot of the problem is that i commute to glasgow from edinburgh cos my boss decided to close our edinburgh operation and bring me through here... my doc appointment was in edinburgh where i live so if i'd still been working there i'd have been no more than 15 minutes late. i didn't ask to work here and it creates issues outwith my control. i think he should be understanding of that. (actually he usually is maybe he was just feeling harassed about other stuff)

I'm supposed to but I don't.

that attitude probably explains your 14k posts too.

possibly, but believe it or not I don't post much at work - watmm's blocked, so I have to use my iPhone, which is a bit obvious, so I stick to posting whilst taking a shit (like no-ooooooo, that's better).

I have been on here for over 4 years ya know...

Archived