IGNORED

coltrane - giant steps

kaini

Guest nene multiple assgasms

i remember the day i figured out that the last movement of a love supreme was literally the lyrics made music; it blew my mind.

more on this, please?

i remember the day i figured out that the last movement of a love supreme was literally the lyrics made music; it blew my mind.

more on this, please?

I will do all I can to be worthy of Thee, O Lord.

It all has to do with it.

Thank You God.

Peace. There is none other.

God is. It is so beautiful.

Thank You God.

God is all.

Help us to resolve our fears and weaknesses.

In you all things are possible.

Thank you God.

We know. God made us so.

Keep your eye on God.

God is. He always was. He always will be.

No matter what... it is God.

He is gracious and merciful.

It is most important that I know Thee.

Words, sounds, speech, men, memory, throughts,

fears and emotions--time--all related...

all made from one... all made in one.

Blessed be his name.

Thought waves--heat waves--all vibrations--

all paths lead to God. Thank you God.

His way... it is so lovely... it is gracious.

It is merciful--Thank you God.

One thought can produce millions of vibrations

and they all go back to God... everything does.

Thank you God.

Have no fear... believe... Thank you God.

The universe has many wonders. God is all.

His way... it is so wonderful.

Thoughts--deeds--vibrations,

all go back to God and He cleanses all.

He is gracious and merciful... Thank you God.

Glory to God... God is so alive.

God is.

God loves.

May I be acceptable in Thy sight.

We are all one in His grace.

The fact that we do exist is acknowledgement

of Thee, O Lord.

Thank you God.

God will wash away all our tears...

He always has...

He always will.

Seek him everyday. In all ways seek God everyday.

Let us sing all songs to God.

To whom all praise is due... praise God.

No road is an easy one, but they all

go back to God.

With all we share God.

It is all with God.

It is all with Thee.

Obey the Lord.

Blessed is He.

We are all from one thing... the will of God...

Thank you God.

--I have seen ungodly--

none can be greater--none can compare

Thank you God.

He will remake... He always has and He

always will.

It's true--blessed be His name--Thank you God.

God breathes through us so completely...

so gently we hardly feel it... yet,

it is our everything.

Thank you God.

ELATION--ELEGANCE--EXALTATION--

All from God.

Thank you God. Amen.

John William Coltrane

this is a pretty lo-fi rendition but i hope you get it. listen and read.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnmHg-5WuQQ&feature=related

god damn. coltrane.

Can't say I'm blown away by the animation. It's a good idea but not the most difficult thing to replicate without too much hard work. Quality proof of a great saxophonist though.

you reckon he blended an actual scan of the score with a blank score book, gradually revealing the notes, or some shit? i've been trying to figure out how he did it. it's not sibelius, that's for sure :whistling:

edit: it would be interesting to see if there's a split in opinion between the people who know music theory/can read music and those who don't on the vid in the OP. i have a good knowledge of theory and can read music (slowly!) and i know messiaen's like greased lightning with that stuff...

YO I JUST WANTED TO SAY THIS THREAD MADE ME PULL OUT "GIANT STEPS" AND I'VE BEEN ENJOYING IT TREMENDOUSLY. ALWAYS AMPS ME UP SO MUCH.

didn't really enjoy seeing the score though....

Guest HerculesCzar

the people that spend the time to transcribe and/or animate these things are those types of trane freaks that don't care about anything else. all other musicians are below him in every respect. Happens a lot with Bird too. Bunch of Bird recordings I have just stop after his solo.

First of all, I explained to you that the Bird collection you ripped from me called "Omnibook Excerpts" is a tool for saxophone students designed to help them hear and learn the transcriptions in "The Charlie Parker Omnibook". It's not like there's someone making official Bird releases with half of the tune cut out.

Why not exclude the Flanagan solo, though? It's not horrendous but compared to his body of his work, it's somewhere between meh and embarrassing. Coltrane's solo wasn't just brilliant, it was pivotal in the evolution of jazz. It's not a matter of people thinking Trane was the end-all and be-all, it's just a matter of paying proper respect to one of the most talented/influential saxophone players of all time.

I did enjoy that Kaini but c'mon man! Transcribed Coltrane is like trying to describe a Van Gogh to someone who can't see. A difficult if not impossible task. How does a person even begin to show the inflection of Coltrane's playing on paper?

Great songs above this post and I am sure there will more great ones below this post....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me7P9qqBgwI

I did enjoy that Kaini but c'mon man! Transcribed Coltrane is like trying to describe a Van Gogh to someone who can't see. A difficult if not impossible task. How does a person even begin to show the inflection of Coltrane's playing on paper?

edit: it would be interesting to see if there's a split in opinion between the people who know music theory/can read music and those who don't on the vid in the OP. i have a good knowledge of theory and can read music (slowly!) and i know messiaen's like greased lightning with that stuff...

also, you are correct. those are just the notes. giant steps has been covered a fuckin zillion times, and none of them sound like coltrane - but of course every soloist is going to have a different solo. the head lays out the theme and the changes for people to solo over in their own way, this is the most excellent nature of jazz. a soloist might follow the general melodic structure of coltrane's solo, but no-one is out to just copy it, that would be lame. and foolish, cos coltrane had fucking chops.

im not exactly sure what you mean by even having an opinion on the first vid, i mean, all it is the notes popping up as they are played. surely the purpose is just to look cool and help people to hear exactly just how much he's actually playing in a short amount of time? it does look pretty cool aswell.

ATOP: transcribing solos is an excellent way to learn how to apply the theory one learns. One of my piano teachers (who was an amazing pianist/musician in his own right) was a huge fan of Oscar Peterson - he transcribed all of his solos when he was starting out studying.

Guest Scrambled Ears

what do you mean by this? isnt this pretty standard issue in jazz...ie salt peanuts...so what etc

Archived