IGNORED

Formats

Guest Backson

Guest Backson

I was just pondering about which formats suit which kind of releases better.

By formats I mean vinyl, CD, cassette and file. And by kind of releases I mean albums, EPs, singles and promos.

So for example, I own alot of albums on CD, and some EPs and Singles on vinyl. I've never owned and LP, but I've had a listen to a Prefuse73 LP and it struck me as a very differet experience not being able to skip tracks and having to figure out which side was which and so forth.

Furthermore, CD singles feel like a waste to me to have an 80 minute disc filed with one or so tracks. Vinyl, comparitively, can be cut to different sizes, different playing speeds and even be single sided so it seems to suit singles.

I'm just pondering really.

Out of curiosity, what are your esteemed opinions?

Guest disparaissant

i like vinyl lps because i like listening to whole albums, i don't generally skip around and changing sides makes me feel like i'm involved in the listening experience or some bullshit like that. i just like it a lot. also i dig the sound, even crackly records. and giant artwork is awesome. also i tend to take care of records really well for reasons i do not understand. i have no respect whatsoever for cds, no matter how hard i try they end up scratched or lost or ruined in some inexplicable way. it's weird.

Pretty much agree with above poster. If I could go vinyl with everything I would. Except maybe music in the same vein as Autechre which imo calls for lossless digital.

EDIT: Also for the glorious joy of spinning/scratching records.

umm actually Autechre themselves state that their music is best enjoyed on vinyl. Forgot what interview they said that in but the Tri Repetae CD cover has a sticker that says "incomplete without surface noise" and the vinyl cover has a sticker that says "complete with surface noise"

Personally I like vinyl but I have no issues with CDs except for the small artwork. Never dealt with cassettes except with my friend's copy of Ceeland.

Guest Adjective

I prefer whatever appears to be the most transparent medium available. For me, that means 44.1khz 16bit "lossless', or higher. An exception to that would be if the artist had the character of a specific medium in mind when they released the material.

Guest Greg Reason

I enjoy the sound of vinyl more than any other format, although I have recently been listening to loads of stuff in lossless or 24bit and that sounds great too. The psychosomatic "size" and "shape" of the sounds aren't as clearly defined as on vinyl but hi bitrate digital is undoubtedly the cleanest sounding format. This just offers a really different experience so it's nice to be able to go back forth between those two options.

I don't hate 320kps mp3s though, I still think they sound really good. But if it must be digital and I had the option I would opt for FLAC or WAV. Vinyl is still the number one preference though because I enjoy the physicality of sound slightly more than the extreme clarity of great digital.

This post reads like a bunch of wank but I'm a nerd and I care about this stuff :emotawesomepm9:

Guest disparaissant

yeah i dont mind 320 or V0 mp3 at all. i do prefer flac but i have an old computer and limited disk space so i only get albums i really really like and that sort of require it in flac.

also, 24/96 vinyl rips rule. even better when they're released like that, like atavism was.

My 1st choice has got to be 12" gatefold LP. There is so much there to own and look after that it never gets boring. I also prefer CDs to digital as you still have something to hold and look at. If I fuck up my hard drive at any point, my solid pieces of music are still there with me.

I also had a love for Minidiscs when they were still about. It's ashme they died a death. What do you think?

Mostly agree to the previous posts but LP's can be quite bad as well if they stick a whole album on just 2 sides. If I buy a whole LP on vinyl I want it to be 2 disks. The sound quality gets worse the more you try to fit on one side, and it also ruins the album much faster as just a few scratches can make skipping noises on a whole song.

I don't buy much cd's anymore, but I must say I feel weird paying lots of money for downloadble files. They feel so distant and easly deleted.. I guess I'm old. Single songs on iTunes and whatever is fine, but I'm an albums man and that's why I've started buying more and more vinyl again. I need something to touch.

Guest Greg Reason

Mostly agree to the previous posts but LP's can be quite bad as well if they stick a whole album on just 2 sides. If I buy a whole LP on vinyl I want it to be 2 disks. The sound quality gets worse the more you try to fit on one side, and it also ruins the album much faster as just a few scratches can make skipping noises on a whole song.

Yeah it hurts me that Goldfrapp always put their albums out on single records. Granted they are shortish albums and they get them mastered specifically rather than dumping the CD masters onto wax but nonetheless!! Even if they just used one and a half sides and left the fourth blank...

umm actually Autechre themselves state that their music is best enjoyed on vinyl. Forgot what interview they said that in but the Tri Repetae CD cover has a sticker that says "incomplete without surface noise" and the vinyl cover has a sticker that says "complete with surface noise"

Personally I like vinyl but I have no issues with CDs except for the small artwork. Never dealt with cassettes except with my friend's copy of Ceeland.

Tri was released in 1995 which makes things a bit different, I'd probably have that on vinyl instead. I should have specified I meant their later stuff. When was the interview from?

Guest blakeboogie

Vinyl mostly except if I'm feeling lazy, then it's 320kbps MP3s. However I do prefer the digital releases for Ambient music such as the Garbage EP, Subtrata and SAW2.

Confield is brilliant on vinyl.

I seem to remember, in a discussion about vinyl pressing-quality, that Confield came up as a poor vinyl pressing, having too much surface noise to be enjoyable

Does anyone have Rushup Edge on vinyl? It's 45rpm.. which likely means a trade off between real good sound quality.. and only getting one track on each 12" side. Confirm?

Guest Ricky Downtown

love 7"s and 12"s, but can't afford vinyl so i only buy favorites. daily listening is 320 mp3 or whatever i can get if that's not available. i use itunes. cassettes are sweet too but i don't use them much.

anyone own any music on a floppy disk?

Guest Backson

it seems like the clearest answer here is that people just like their favourite format for everything.

maybe i should of asked if there were genres that suited formats.

i was wondering this.

Guest Ricky Downtown

well doing drugs and listening to electronic music on vinyl is still one of my favorite things to do.

Guest Backson

well doing drugs and listening to electronic music on vinyl is still one of my favorite things to do.

the only thing I can compare to is having people over, drinking and getting out the vinyl. Something about being intoxicated and the big physical format works well together.

especially when your mates don't know much about vinyl and are still facinated by the way it works.

I seem to remember, in a discussion about vinyl pressing-quality, that Confield came up as a poor vinyl pressing, having too much surface noise to be enjoyable

Does anyone have Rushup Edge on vinyl? It's 45rpm.. which likely means a trade off between real good sound quality.. and only getting one track on each 12" side. Confirm?

I found it very nice.

i fucking love vinyl. it's my aim to collect as much autechre stuff as possible on vinyl. trawling discogs for cheap sales, i've been quite successful so far!

i don't have a problem with the pressing of confield. it sounds quite amazing to my ears! lp5 is really great too, especially drane2 and the rae-melve-vose in-fold4,wrap5 sequence on side 2.

also, amber on vinyl is sweatpants-boner inducingly awesome.

love 7"s and 12"s, but can't afford vinyl so i only buy favorites. daily listening is 320 mp3 or whatever i can get if that's not available. i use itunes. cassettes are sweet too but i don't use them much.

before i had a cd burner i used to put xm files on floppy disks to give to friends, that was pretty idm.

Archived