IGNORED

afraid of heights?

beariksson

we did climb 40-50m radio towers for fun with friends back then. It was fun. just don't drink too much before you do it

Yeah we used to climb transmission towers etc to nick rival pirate station equipment. That was no more than 200m but I still shat myself evvvverytime.

i posted this in youtube thread. impressive stuff for a day at the office and not really much like climbing a ladder at all. ladders usually at an incline for a start, then the wind, wind-chill, weight of his tools, etc.

no walk in the park.

well yeah, i made the ladder-comparison because of the way the commentator made this out to be "a free-climb".

i'd say it's no more than a well-protected A0 aid-climb. or rather C0 because he's clipping his way up.

both the cold/wind and the weight of his equipment are really nothing that hard in climbing terms.. cool vid tho.... (i love climbing, exposure AND radio :D)

now THIS is fucking terrifying...

btw i'm wondering why he clips into the hand/footholds at around 5:30 instead of into the pole itself, looks like his huge carabiner could slip right over the edge of one of those holds if he fell!

i posted this in youtube thread. impressive stuff for a day at the office and not really much like climbing a ladder at all. ladders usually at an incline for a start, then the wind, wind-chill, weight of his tools, etc.

no walk in the park.

well yeah, i made the ladder-comparison because of the way the commentator made this out to be "a free-climb".

i'd say it's no more than a well-protected A0 aid-climb. or rather C0 because he's clipping his way up.

both the cold/wind and the weight of his equipment are really nothing that hard in climbing terms.. cool vid tho.... (i love climbing, exposure AND radio :D)

now THIS is fucking terrifying...

yes, I did remember this for years. I kind of like it as this and the basejumper video show the dark side of the stuff you see in TV all the time. not in a way of being a nice movie but for being real and honest about what can happen and not like the glorious nice videos you see as if these people where invulnerable and could do it as much as they like with no risk involved

video has been pulled:

The footage of the climb came from a friend of mine that does this type of work, I have know him for several years and he has helped me many times in the past. Recently he gave me this video he shot on one of his jobs. I showed him the edited video and he approved it and I put it up on TheOnLineEngineer.Org and You Tube over the weekend. On Monday he was getting calls from colleagues telling him that they were concerned about what the video showed. His world is a very small one, and you don’t want to bite the hand that feeds you! Some facility owners are pretty uptight about liability and such and may not hire him if they think he does not take safety seriously.

So he asked me to take it down, and I did. That was Monday morning (Sep 13, 2010). Today (Sep 15) he told me it was up on You Tube, by the time I looked at it it had over 77,000 views. It was on more than a dozen websites. The chance that someone important would see it was increasing rapidly. So the video most of you saw was one that had been ripped off from my website before I took it down. I wrote asking the guy who put it up to take it down but got no response so I contacted You Tube.

http://www.theonlineengineer.org/TheOLEBLOG/

mirrors? I want to show it to a friend

the base jumper video is bad but definitely not fatal. he got the wind knocked out of him.

you can tell by the way he groans and takes deep breaths... i've never fallen that far but i did a flip onto my butt accidentally once and behaved similarly

Archived