1ounce butter

1 small bunch parsley

1 sprig thyme

1 clove garlic, mashed

18 small white onions

Salt and black pepper

Buy ingredients at the grocery and gourmet store

Boeuf Bourguignon Recipe (serve 6)

Step 1: Cut bacon into small strips. Simmer bacon for 10 minutes in water. Dry bacon.

Step 2: Cook bacon in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan with the olive oil at moderate heat for 2 or 3 minutes. Remove bacon.

Step 3: Cut the beef in 2-inch cubes. Using the same saucepan, cook the beef in the bacon's fat until browned. Remove the beef.

Step 4: Still in the same pan, put the onion, carrots, celery and cook for 2 or 3 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat. Remove the fat from the saucepan.

Step 5: Mix the butter and the flour to make a paste.

Step 6: Put again the beef and bacon with the vegetables in the pan. Add salt and pepper. Cover the beef cubes with the butter and flour mixture. Cook for 3 or 4 minutes, uncovered, and turn the beef cubes.

Step 7: Pour in the wine and enough bouillon so that it covers the ingredients. Add small, white onions, garlic and herbs. Bring to a boil.

Step 8: Cover the pan and simmer for 3 hours on a low heat. Boeuf Bourguignon heat very slowly. The meat is done when the fork slides out easily a beef cube. Remove from heat.

Step 9: Saute mushrooms in butter. Add mushrooms to Boeuf Bourguignon. Garnish with parsley.

Boeuf Bourguignon is traditionally served with boiled potatoes

Wine suggestion: Young red wine such as Beaujolais Villages, Saint Emilion or a red wine from Burgundy (French Wine Guide).

Bon appétit!

BEST DISH EVER

look up moroccan food, curries, chicken stock (++). it's harder to kill the nutrients from spicies. ++ i was brought up on pressure cooker soups, and always looked younger than everyone around me. so some things survive, like beta carotene.

Bolognese is kind of a slow cooking recipe, most people just dont let it cook for 5-9h, but they should :spiteful:

besides that i'm not sure if that counts as slow cooking, but you can cook meat, after searing it, in the oven at 80°C for hours(depends on the size) and you'll have the most tender meat ever. Cause several enzymes who "soften" the tissue are still active and the meat looses just a minimum amount of water.

In germany its called Niedergaren, maybe low temperature cooking is the right translation.

Here's a chart for every animal/meat, but in german :whistling:

http://www.ramuz-roger.ch/Menu_EssenKochen/Niedergaren/Tabelle/NiedergarTabelle.html

Also similar to slow cooking: sous vide

http://khymos.org/meat.php

Bolognese is kind of a slow cooking recipe, most people just dont let it cook for 5-9h, but they should :spiteful:

besides that i'm not sure if that counts as slow cooking, but you can cook meat, after searing it, in the oven at 80°C for hours(depends on the size) and you'll have the most tender meat ever. Cause several enzymes who "soften" the tissue are still active and the meat looses just a minimum amount of water.

In germany its called Niedergaren, maybe low temperature cooking is the right translation.

Here's a chart for every animal/meat, but in german :whistling:

http://www.ramuz-roger.ch/Menu_EssenKochen/Niedergaren/Tabelle/NiedergarTabelle.html

Also similar to slow cooking: sous vide

http://khymos.org/meat.php

indeed, having the temp. lowered to loosen the proteins (wtfamitalkingaboot) rather than dry stuff out. And yes, yee olde italian mammas do simmer their tomatoe sauces forever. Since i started doing that with my bolog for lasag. it tastes so much better, after a long arsed gentle simmer. Something is happening in that cooking pot, i can't explain it, but there is alchemic goodness in action.

The french spelling of beef is unbearably silly

(waits for mcgriff to post)

i demand more respect

beef

ORIGIN Middle English : from Old French boef, from Latin bos, bov- ‘ox.’

Guest Ichneumonidae

Lamb shank. If you stew it in a red wine, chili, spicy combination it's delicious and the meat just falls off. Seal it first though.

pork shoulder + slow cooker = win everytime.

i have a good chipotle pork taco recipe if you want, but im still searching for the best pulled pork.

YES hit me with it! i had the most amazing pulled pork soft tacos from a local take-away on saturday, and i had to buy the slow-cooker on sunday.

BOEUF BOURGUIGNON

Region Prep time / Cooking time

Burgundy

30 minutes / 3 hours

Ingredients:

4 lbs beef shoulder (stewing beef)

6 oz bacon

4 carrots, peeled and sliced

1 onion, chopped

1 lb mushrooms, sliced

2 stalks celery, chopped

1 bottle red burgundy wine (young wine)

2 cups of beef bouillon (beef stock)

1ounce flour

4 tb olive oil

1ounce butter

1 small bunch parsley

1 sprig thyme

1 clove garlic, mashed

18 small white onions

Salt and black pepper

Step 1: Cut bacon into small strips. Simmer bacon for 10 minutes in water. Dry bacon.

Step 2: Cook bacon in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan with the olive oil at moderate heat for 2 or 3 minutes. Remove bacon.

Step 3: Cut the beef in 2-inch cubes. Using the same saucepan, cook the beef in the bacon's fat until browned. Remove the beef.

Step 4: Still in the same pan, put the onion, carrots, celery and cook for 2 or 3 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat. Remove the fat from the saucepan.

Step 6: Put again the beef and bacon with the vegetables in the pan. Add salt and pepper. Cover the beef cubes with the butter and flour mixture. Cook for 3 or 4 minutes, uncovered, and turn the beef cubes.

Step 7: Pour in the wine and enough bouillon so that it covers the ingredients. Add small, white onions, garlic and herbs. Bring to a boil.

Step 8: Cover the pan and simmer for 3 hours on a low heat. Boeuf Bourguignon heat very slowly. The meat is done when the fork slides out easily a beef cube. Remove from heat.

Step 9: Saute mushrooms in butter. Add mushrooms to Boeuf Bourguignon. Garnish with parsley.

Wine suggestion: Young red wine such as Beaujolais Villages, Saint Emilion or a red wine from Burgundy (French Wine Guide).

Bon appétit!

BEST DISH EVER

awesome. will try.

i got a slow cooker.

what should i cook slowly? any good slow cookin recipes please?

if i want to do pulled pork - what cut of pig should i get? shin?

i use pork butt for carnitas/pulled pork. rub a nice cumin/garlic powder/kosher salt mixture on the roast, place in the cooker and pour enough beer/lager to cover about half the roast, and then throw in some rough-chopped onion, jalapeno and cilantro. i like to make some homemade pico de gallo and fry up corn tortillas.

the leftover meat lasts quite a while, and i'll usually mix in some bbq sauce and make pulled pork sandwiches.

tasty!

i got a slow cooker.

what should i cook slowly? any good slow cookin recipes please?

if i want to do pulled pork - what cut of pig should i get? shin?

i use pork butt for carnitas/pulled pork. rub a nice cumin/garlic powder/kosher salt mixture on the roast, place in the cooker and pour enough beer/lager to cover about half the roast, and then throw in some rough-chopped onion, jalapeno and cilantro. i like to make some homemade pico de gallo and fry up corn tortillas.

the leftover meat lasts quite a while, and i'll usually mix in some bbq sauce and make pulled pork sandwiches.

tasty!

this sounds soooo easy! and i think basically what i had at the weekend.

*salivates*

pork shoulder + slow cooker = win everytime.

i have a good chipotle pork taco recipe if you want, but im still searching for the best pulled pork.

YES hit me with it! i had the most amazing pulled pork soft tacos from a local take-away on saturday, and i had to buy the slow-cooker on sunday.

i actually dont make it with the chorizo and i dont sear the pork first. depending on how much time you have, im sure its even better if you do do that. i usually throw everything (minus the chorizo & oil) in the cooker and give it a good stir and then let it go for about 6 hours. i guarantee you will not be disappointed with this one (it's from rick bayless):

• 1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil

• 1 pound lean, boneless pork shoulder, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes

• 4 ounces chorizo sausage, removed from its casing

• 4 to 5 medium (about 3/4 pound total) red-skinned potatoes, quartered

• 1 large white onion, sliced 1/4–inch thick

• 1 garlic clove, minced

• 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, in juice (preferably fire-roasted)

• 2 to 3 canned chipotle chiles, en adobo, finely chopped

• 4 teaspoons chipotle canning sauce

• 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

• 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican

• Salt

• About 1/2 cup crumbled Mexican queso fresco (i use feta)

• 1 ripe avocado, pitted, flesh scooped from the skin and diced (i usually make guacamole)

• Warm corn tortillas

Directions

Heat the oil in a stovetop-rated slow cooker liner over medium-high heat. (If your slow cooker liner isn’t made from a material that can be used on a stovetop, use a very large (12-inch) non-stick skillet.) Once the oil is very hot, add the pork and chorizo in an single layer and cook, stirring until the meat has browned, about 6 to 8 minutes. Turn off the heat and if you’re using a skillet, transfer the meat and its juices into the slow cooker. Add the potatoes.

In a large bowl, combine the onions, garlic, tomatoes, chipotles, adobo sauce, Worcestershire, oregano and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Pour mixture into the slow cooker and stir to mix thoroughly. Cook for 6 hours at the highest temperature.

After six hours, gently stir. If the sauce seems too thick, stir in a little water. Taste, and season with salt if you think the dish needs it. Scoop into a large bowl, sprinkle with the fresh cheese and diced avocado, and serve with warm tortillas.

not sure if i can get chipotles in adobo sauce, i'll need to check.

i wonder how much shipping would be from here? can you ship food overseas?

dunno. it's just soemthing i've never seen in the supermarket. i'll have a better look. if i can't get them i found a recipe for making adobo sauce and i can use some other chilies.

BOEUF BOURGUIGNON

Region Prep time / Cooking time

Burgundy

30 minutes / 3 hours

Ingredients:

4 lbs beef shoulder (stewing beef)

6 oz bacon

4 carrots, peeled and sliced

1 onion, chopped

1 lb mushrooms, sliced

2 stalks celery, chopped

1 bottle red burgundy wine (young wine)

2 cups of beef bouillon (beef stock)

1ounce flour

4 tb olive oil

1ounce butter

1 small bunch parsley

1 sprig thyme

1 clove garlic, mashed

18 small white onions

Salt and black pepper

Bon appétit!

BEST DISH EVER

Certainly is! I have had this since I was small and it's still one of my favourite dishes. Especially at autumn time. It's also great with mashed potatoes

Archived