IGNORED

shobaleader one band members

BCM

I think my problem with these tracks is that they sound anemic. I like the vocal melodies, but the drumbeats and rhythm guitars (or whatever), are so straight 4/4 strum-strum-strum, the dynamics of the song are flatter than Laguna Beach-era Heidi. I think with more buildup, or more drum fills, or even just more interesting snare sounds, fuck, these songs could be a lot more exciting. But it's like listening to Joy Division sung over a little Casio keyboard drum preset. It's like drinking a delicious-looking beer only to realize it's long gone flat.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think my problem with these tracks is that they sound anemic. I like the vocal melodies, but the drumbeats and rhythm guitars (or whatever), are so straight 4/4 strum-strum-strum, the dynamics of the song are flatter than Laguna Beach-era Heidi. I think with more buildup, or more drum fills, or even just more interesting snare sounds, fuck, these songs could be a lot more exciting. But it's like listening to Joy Division sung over a little Casio keyboard drum preset. It's like drinking a delicious-looking beer only to realize it's long gone flat.

You pretty much nailed it. The vocal melodies are pretty much the only likable part about this for me. The rest is kinda limp.

You pretty much nailed it. The vocal melodies are pretty much the only likable part about this for me. The rest is kinda limp.

I just saw Lianne say this too, in the New & Upcoming Releases Subforum version of this thread.

why is the 909 getting so much stick (in other threads) i think its pretty lo-fi drum programming going on. just the style I like.

The more I listen to the album, the more the drums bother me. They just sound so lifeless and dead. It works on some songs, but on others it almost sounds laughable. I think a little bit of variety or even real drums would do wonders... anyways, I'm enjoying every other aspect of the album.

Guest benus333

I was listening to the new album yesterday (can't remember the track) and my 5 year old daughter walked in. I asked her, "Do you know who this is?" She said, "Squarepusher," straight away. I said, "Why do you think that? It's got singing and Squarepusher doesn't sing," as a clever trick. She said straight away, "The drums." I wonder if she gets tired of him using the same tiresome and immediately identifiable drum sounds.

I don't think she would believe Shobaleader has any extra members, but I didn't ask. I will do I think.

<-(Hers is the right arm)

why is the 909 getting so much stick (in other threads) i think its pretty lo-fi drum programming going on. just the style I like.

The more I listen to the album, the more the drums bother me. They just sound so lifeless and dead. It works on some songs, but on others it almost sounds laughable. I think a little bit of variety or even real drums would do wonders... anyways, I'm enjoying every other aspect of the album.

the 909 can be used well, i like it in certain contexts but this time it feels like a weird forced usage of it. Almost like Pusher realizes how far out he's gone to sounding like pop music that he needed something familiar to 'ground' squarepusher fans. I mean it could have been the amen break, which one would you rather have? I personally would prefer neither, I miss when he used meaty drums in general on his stuff. Selection 16 had tons of 909 on it, i fucking love selection 16.

i hate to say this in a different new release thread for spusher but the man could really make a wonderful album if he had the help of another producer or recording engineer. As much as an awesome composer Tom is, he often mixes the ingredients together in ways that don't necessarily 'pop' sonically.

i like this, but i agree that tom sometimes makes bizarre production/mixing/mastering decisions. ultravisitor sounds so fucking thin in places, and the distorted kick on megazine off this sounds downright weird (but good imo)

Archived