IGNORED

a star is born.

chaosmachine

Guest HerculesCzar

Speaking as a fan of Neil Hamburger and "anti-humor," that was very poor. His jokes were alright, but his delivery was just awful.

Selected Hindu Jerks

-soz i'm just annoyed about something at the moment, i didn't even bother with the clip, I was worried that if i stood around for any length of time watching the damn thing, it might collapse under me.

-porleekonstruktedjoeksetc ...

It is rare that someone that young has that good a grasp on humor. I've seen some young "comedians" in my time who were really hard to watch. This kid has a lot of potential, hope he continues with it. Comedy's one of those creative fields that has always seemed really disappointing in the talent department. I can't help thinking that most of the genuinely funny people in the world are more inclined to go into an entirely different field like architecture, or computer programming, or music... well okay, that's kind of related. I've met a lot of incredibly witty naturally funny people, and none of them have the slightest interest into going into comedy as a possible career choice. But oh god is there ever no shortage of utter hacks making a decent living from it... that in itself is pretty funny I guess.

Interesting.

He's well rehearsed and very self-aware. But it's too forced to ever catch on.

That's the whole act. It's anti-humor.

[youtubehd]n5NOt3ClPKA[/youtubehd]

Yes, I know. But it still seems too false for me. Maybe it's the youth in his eyes. It's a well rehearsed sketch with a couple of little titters, but I just don't want to like him.

It is rare that someone that young has that good a grasp on humor. I've seen some young "comedians" in my time who were really hard to watch. This kid has a lot of potential, hope he continues with it. Comedy's one of those creative fields that has always seemed really disappointing in the talent department. I can't help thinking that most of the genuinely funny people in the world are more inclined to go into an entirely different field like architecture, or computer programming, or music... well okay, that's kind of related. I've met a lot of incredibly witty naturally funny people, and none of them have the slightest interest into going into comedy as a possible career choice. But oh god is there ever no shortage of utter hacks making a decent living from it... that in itself is pretty funny I guess.

you could say the same with acting, or probably music. Art doesn't pay.

With acting and music there doesn't seem to be the same shortage of exceptional artists in the field. Granted this is of course a subjective thing, but I'm often impressed my actors, directors, visual artists and musicians alike, but it's rare that I see a comedian and think "wow, this person's really good at what they do." I'm thinking of stand-up comedy specifically. I guess it makes sense because it's a forum where people who want to get paid to be an ass and goof off publicly can do just that, so there's a greater proportion of idiots who end up going into the field. But that's just my asshole theory about it.

With acting and music there doesn't seem to be the same shortage of exceptional artists in the field. Granted this is of course a subjective thing, but I'm often impressed my actors, directors, visual artists and musicians alike, but it's rare that I see a comedian and think "wow, this person's really good at what they do." I'm thinking of stand-up comedy specifically. I guess it makes sense because it's a forum where people who want to get paid to be an ass and goof off publicly can do just that, so there's a greater proportion of idiots who end up going into the field. But that's just my asshole theory about it.

perhaps it just demonstrates that stand-up offers the least opportunities of all. heh.

also, don't they say that, at least in part, that comedic skills can occur as a defence mechanism for kids against the pain of being oppressed (bullied/shunned/whatever), so maybe those people are a lot less socially able to then jump up on stage in front of a braying mass of spectators, waiting for them to fail on amateur night. heh .,.

These people then become writers. Or at least brighten the world around them. ;-] so it's ok, all is not lost.

It might also be because stand-up's such a hard thing to do and not feel completely self-conscious. It takes a special kind of person to really suck at something and be completely oblivious to it, but that same lack of self awareness would be useful in getting someone on stage to do comedy. Some of the funniest people end up also being the most self-critical, so they're less inclined to keep getting on stage if their act sucks the first time around. Then you've got the Dane Cooks of the world who just couldn't care less how bad their shtick is from the get-go, so they're never discouraged. Those are the comedians who persevere, while maybe a lot of truly gifted ones quit before they have a chance of really making it...?

Archived