IGNORED

Why buy vinyl/recommend me a reasonable turntable

chassis

Why would DJing with it be "fucking ridiculous"? Your statement I find pretty ridiculous. Nothing wrong with DJing with records at all!

The price! The cost of buying to good turntables + keeping a vinyl collection would be really really expensive dont cha think, plus lugging around your records to every gig. If you can afford it all well and good. But if you get a laptop and midi decks or some cd-js and a mixer you're laughing.

I just wouldn't see the point considering you can get anything you want on a digital file nowadays.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would DJing with it be "fucking ridiculous"? Your statement I find pretty ridiculous. Nothing wrong with DJing with records at all!

The price! The cost of buying to good turntables + keeping a vinyl collection would be really really expensive dont cha think, plus lugging around your records to every gig. If you can afford it all well and good. But if you get a laptop and midi decks or some cd-js and a mixer you're laughing.

I just wouldn't see the point considering you can get anything you want on a digital file nowadays.

yeah i buy most everything in digital format these days, too. but i don't think you can beat sitting down and listening to something on vinyl, like oscillik says. it's an entirely better process and listening experience, imo. but i do think it's also good to be able to go to a site and just buy 1 track you've been thinking of, or can't find, or something you heard and love....

anyway, so why don't you just get some CD/digital playing decks? or just get both for a good measure and balance. :)

Mmm mmm I have myself a Project Xpression III with an Ortofon 3m Bronze cart. They work well together. I just recently had to rewire my tonearm though :( the ground screw in the tonearm cut the shielding on my left channel so it would short if it made contact with the screw.

anyway, so why don't you just get some CD/digital playing decks?

Because I learned and spent 10 years DJing with vinyl, not Ableton/Traktor/CDJ.

sorry mate i was actually asking chassis there..

Some of those projects look sick, but the lack of deals makes me :sad:

anyway, so why don't you just get some CD/digital playing decks?

Because I learned and spent 10 years DJing with vinyl, not Ableton/Traktor/CDJ.

sorry mate i was actually asking chassis there..

All in due course mate. When I want to start DJing Ill be getting a digi set up anyway.

No bills though so maybe when if I get a job next summer.

vinyl is overrated. i have lots of it and the difference in sound quality is negligible, unless you're on an extremely high end system. it's pretty and expensive, and i guess there's a placebo effect on the quality of the listening experience, but i find most of my listening is still done on a shitty little ipod skipping through wank tracks to the things i actually like.

yep, that's right. because what you say is correct.

and what i say is correct.

except that we're both wrong, and in fact everyone on the internet is wrong. but also right at the same time.

basically, you have no point of reference. and neither do i. so go listen to your space-age laser-CDs

Guest tht tne

i bought some venetian snares vinyl from xxx, but i don't have a turntable... am i a hipster? also i used to have a three 6 mafia 12" and some jazz and dub

Technics 1210

finally%20a%20decent%20record%20area.jpg

How much would a used MK2 cost me would you say?

mine cost me £150 on eBay last year

osc, how much was it altogether?

what exactly do I need to buy? the actual vinyl player, the stereo, speakers - that it? I too am interested.. dad has a bunch of vinyl but through out this player in the 80s because he started playing tapes (the idiot)

Technics 1210

finally%20a%20decent%20record%20area.jpg

How much would a used MK2 cost me would you say?

mine cost me £150 on eBay last year

osc, how much was it altogether?

what exactly do I need to buy? the actual vinyl player, the stereo, speakers - that it? I too am interested.. dad has a bunch of vinyl but through out this player in the 80s because he started playing tapes (the idiot)

Technics 1210mkII - £150 'pon tha 'Bay

Ortofon Arkiv cart - £60 at the time, think they're going for about £80 now

Teac AS-M50 Integrated Amp (circa 1970s) - given to me by my dad, still works great.

Tannoy Titan speakers - no idea how much these would be

if you were wanting to get a similar setup to mine, i reckon you'd probably spend about £250 - £300 maybe? depends on where you source your stuff. speakers and amps, you can usually nab for next to nothing from car boot sales and shit like that. but you're likely to go through some duds probably.

my setup is no-where near audiophile quality. it's just a nice listening setup :shrug:

all you'd really need is a deck and some half decent carts/needles.

if you want to mix then obviously you'd need 2 decks and a mixer.

then just plug it into your Hi-Fi system (if you have one).

you don't really need to pur chase a seperate amp and new speakers, unless you want to of course.

oh and a slip mat, too.

all you'd really need is a deck and some half decent carts/needles.

if you want to mix then obviously you'd need 2 decks and a mixer.

then just plug it into your Hi-Fi system (if you have one).

you don't really need to pur chase a seperate amp and new speakers, unless you want to of course.

oh and a slip mat, too.

yeah definitely, be careful though if you already have a mini-stereo or midi-stereo: sometimes they don't actually have phono inputs on them. they have been phasing them out :(

you don't need a slip mat if you're not mixing

all you need is a belt drive turntable, get a cheap stanton or something and buy a good needle. you can get shure n447 and mffg's for a very good price and that's all you need in terms of needles, no need to drop lots of cash on the needle. the shure's are standard as far as i've read and talked to others on the net.

hook it all up to your hi fi and if you don't have one go to the second hand store and buy an old cheap amp and speakers.

and finally, get a comfortable chair for listening :rdjgrin:

Archived