IGNORED

Why buy vinyl/recommend me a reasonable turntable

chassis

Ive started my collection. There are a shit load of vinyls in my house but none but a handful are mine.

Why do you prefer to buy things on vinyl. Is it just because you like the way it sounds or is it actually having the physical release give you some sort of pleasure? Or maybe you DJ vinyl which would be fucking ludicrous these days.

Also recommend me the lowest costing turntable that will still gimme a good sound. I dont need it to be transportable at all.

Discuss.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

obviously 1210's, but they're mega expensive, and if you're not gonna be doing any mixing, just playing/listening... you'd be fine with just a regular belt-drive deck. up to you whether you want a name on it or not. but obviously it's better to splash out a weee bit a get something fairly decent that'lll ast you, rather than something from Argos for 50 quid.

Why do you prefer to buy things on vinyl. Is it just because you like the way it sounds or is it actually having the physical release give you some sort of pleasure?

for most people it's the way it sounds and looks. the sound quality is far superior and warmer and having a nice big rekkid sleeve in your hands with lush artwork is just a lovely ting. :)

i personally prefer vinyl because i believe it's more respectful to the music.

digital formats lend themselves to the notion of being able to easily skip tracks, and have them playing in the background while you're doing other shit.

with vinyl, you're less likely to be skipping through tracks, and you're more likely to play the album through in it's entirety. the artist usually puts thought into the sequence of tracks in an album, so it's a little disrespectful to mess with that sequence. i'm one of those people that classes music as an artform.

also, because of the fact that you will inevitably have to change sides/records at least once during the playback of the album, you're more likely to actually sit down at home and pay attention to the music. no "soundtrack to your life" bullshit.

Vinyl is expensive. It doesn't always sound better than a digital format. Cassettes also make it difficult to skip tracks, but no one praises them for that.

i do. just the other day i made a tirade on facebook, because someone wanted me to make them a 'mixtape', but they wanted digital. and then they started complaining because i said i'd make it one big long MP3, because they wouldn't be able to skip tracks.

THE WHOLE POINT OF A MIXTAPE IS THAT SOMEONE HAS GONE TO SOME EFFORT TO COMPILE SOME MUSIC FOR YOU TO LISTEN TO. BECAUSE IT IS ON A CASSETTE TAPE, YOU'RE LESS LIKELY TO FASTFORWARD THROUGH IT BECAUSE YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHERE THE TRACKS END. HENCE YOU ARE FORCED TO LISTEN TO MUSIC THAT YOU MIGHT SKIP BECAUSE YOU DON'T LIKE THE INTRO, OR SOMETHING STUPID LIKE THAT.

i immediately stopped talking to this person.

Osc raises a good point, but in reality it simply takes discipline to not skip through a release.

As someone who bought his techno on 12"s before it was available from BeatPort, and as someone who is tired of moving those crates from home to home I personally enjoy a high quality digital format release.

I'd like to add that my view on art is selfish. Art has only so much utility in my life as it affords me pleasure. If I don't like track 2,5 and 6 out of 7 on your album, I don't feel I owe it to you as an artist to sit through them. Your art has no use to me if I'm not able to use the parts I enjoy.

Osc raises a good point, but in reality it simply takes discipline to not skip through a release.

As someone who bought his techno on 12"s before it was available from BeatPort, and as someone who is tired of moving those crates from home to home I personally enjoy a high quality digital format release.

yeah, i should really have mentioned that after being too used to skipping through tracks on my iPod (when i had one) i felt like i personally was disrespecting the music. and it was just too easy to do it.

Guest disparaissant

i've got an sl-1900 which is a non-quartz-locked consumer version of a 1200. basically mostly the same, just not meant for wikky wikky scratching. they can be had for much, much cheaper.

i've got an sl-1900 which is a non-quartz-locked consumer version of a 1200. basically mostly the same, just not meant for wikky wikky scratching. they can be had for much, much cheaper.

pro tip right there

girl knows her stuff

Vinyl is expensive. It doesn't always sound better than a digital format. Cassettes also make it difficult to skip tracks, but no one praises them for that.

i do. just the other day i made a tirade on facebook, because someone wanted me to make them a 'mixtape', but they wanted digital. and then they started complaining because i said i'd make it one big long MP3, because they wouldn't be able to skip tracks.

THE WHOLE POINT OF A MIXTAPE IS THAT SOMEONE HAS GONE TO SOME EFFORT TO COMPILE SOME MUSIC FOR YOU TO LISTEN TO. BECAUSE IT IS ON A CASSETTE TAPE, YOU'RE LESS LIKELY TO FASTFORWARD THROUGH IT BECAUSE YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHERE THE TRACKS END. HENCE YOU ARE FORCED TO LISTEN TO MUSIC THAT YOU MIGHT SKIP BECAUSE YOU DON'T LIKE THE INTRO, OR SOMETHING STUPID LIKE THAT.

lol

i hear ya. guess i was talking more about the ability to switch through tracks on official (cassette) releases. Never heard anybody say that they love not being able to get to their favorite song easily.

lol

i hear ya. guess i was talking more about the ability to switch through tracks on official (cassette) releases. Never heard anybody say that they love not being able to get to their favorite song easily.

here's a story:

when i first got hold of The Prodigy's 'Experience' album (around age 13), i would always skip over Weather Experience. The intro sounded just way too boring and i never bothered skimming over the track to see if it turned into something better.

it wasn't until one night of playing DOOM when i was 16 that i actually heard the track, as i'd left the CD playing and didn't bother getting up.

of course, i heard it and was like "why the fuck did i skip over this track?!'. it is easily the best track on the entire album.

and this is why i am a big supporter of the album format, and specifically, listening through an album in it's entirety.

that's a kickass tune for sure, and that's also about the same age that i bought that album. i got it on CD and listened to the whole thing. shame you were so hasty in your youth. :emotawesomepm9:

that's a kickass tune for sure, and that's also about the same age that i bought that album. i got it on CD and listened to the whole thing. shame you were so hasty in your youth. :emotawesomepm9:

i know, and it was totally my own fault.

but my point is that was with just a CD - where i had the whole album there, i just skipped over it. with the advent of iTunes and digital stores where you're not obliged to buy the entire release, it is just so very easy for people to just pick and choose what tracks they want. i just think in this day and age, of 'i want it 5 seconds ago' culture, it is so very easy for people to lose sight of the fact that music is an artform, and not a fucking Subway sandwich.

Doesnt that distinguish the music lover from the music listener? At least thats what I always thought. When Im at a party and someone sticks on a killer tune, then they change to something different and Im left going "Awh man, the rest of the album is killer leave it on". Well I used to be like that, Ive mellowed out a bit.

I was looking at em, wondering "why the hell are these so much cheaper the mk2s?".

Fairly sure Ill pick one of them up. Im not going to be doing and wicky wicky stuff on it anyway.

Vinyl has its perks and disadvantages just as anything does... I stopped buying a lot of the new stuff after my last record binge left me with 2 out of 4 purchases with pressing defects. So now, unless I have had a good experience with the record label, I do not buy much new stuff.

Lol. nice one.

i don't mind tapes.

Archived