IGNORED

Japanese vinyl replicas and the Japanese.

Guest ansgaria

Guest ansgaria

If some of you are fond of buying - and perhaps even collection - music, you probably know of the Japanese editions of some records that are replicas or either vinyl sleeves or gatefolds.

Personally I am very fond of gatefolds. So much space for artwork and material, too bad a lot of gatefolds aren't used/filled out properly.

Either ways, the Japanese vinyl replicas are special, unique and even rare to some degree. I'm sitting here watching Steven Wilson's Insurgentes the movie DVD, and at one point he's shopping for music and he stumbles across a bunch of Japanese vinyl replicas, finding stuff he had been looking for for some time and says something along the lines of "How do you sell the same album to the same person four times? You sell the vinyl, the CD, the remastered CD and then the ultimate thing, the Japanese vinyl replica."

It got me thinking... Do the Japanese consider the vinyl replicas special? I mean, it's all around them I would guess.

Are US/etc. imports as special to the Japanese as the vinyl replicas are to 'non-Japaense' people?

End of blabber.

Guest Greg Reason

I think he means CDs packaged in mini gatefold jackets. Now I like Steven Wilson and all but how are these the "ultimate" thing exactly?!? Just buy the fuckin record

Guest headonist

my girlfriend has several japanese versions of beatles albums pressed on transparent red vinyl, is this what you're talking about?

No, these are regular CDs, only in sleeves that are minature replicas of the original press. All gimmick stuff of the original vinyl press also comes along, as well as posters and inserts. I have a couple and they are real cuties.

If you mean the Japanese CDs with the miniature paper sleeve reproductions, there are few sexual favours that would be taboo if they led to me owning all of the Zep / Floyd reissues (must be mint, with obi).

my girlfriend has several japanese versions of beatles albums pressed on transparent red vinyl, is this what you're talking about?

No, these are regular CDs, only in sleeves that are minature replicas of the original press. All gimmick stuff of the original vinyl press also comes along, as well as posters and inserts. I have a couple and they are real cuties.

oh! yeah i have one of those of THRAK by king crimson, it's pretty excellent! the little plastic sleeve holding the cd is a nice touch.

Archived