IGNORED

Would you wipe out your bad memories

spratters

Why the fuck would I do that? If I didnt remember what happened the last time I drank 1 litres of vodka Id probably do it again.

maybe if i had been assraped

Maybe if this happened. In the case that it wasnt my fault. If I walked down some back ally* then it was my fault.

* :cisfor:

Without "bad" memories (baby onwards) we'd probably fall off a cliff, or walk in front of a car or something.. what a stupid invention

People are dying from AIDS and all they can think about is make a drug to inhibit bad memories? give me a fucking break :facepalm:

My thinking is that seeing as Betablockers are pretty damn common anyhow and often given on prescription then surely this is already effecting 1000s if not 100000s of people already.

Surely for the association to be removed then the memory would have to be pretty persistently recalled and intense enough emotionally.

Not only that the half life of a Beta Blocker (Propranolol) can be as much as 12hrs which gives a person plenty of time to recall many memories and many associations.

Took this off Wikipedia for anyone whose interested .........

"Propranolol is rapidly and completely absorbed, with peak plasma levels achieved approximately 1–3 hours after ingestion. Co-administration with food appears to enhance bioavailability. Despite complete absorption, propranolol has a variable bioavailability due to extensive first-pass metabolism. Hepatic impairment will therefore increase its bioavailability. The main metabolite 4-hydroxypropranolol, with a longer half-life (5.2–7.5 hours) than the parent compound (3–4 hours), is also pharmacologically active.

Propranolol is a highly lipophilic drug achieving high concentrations in the brain. The duration of action of a single oral dose is longer than the half-life and may be up to 12 hours, if the single dose is high enough (e.g., 80 mg). Effective plasma concentrations are between 10–100 ng/mL."

Beta-blockers only appear to block the beta-adrenergic receptors of smooth muscle and some organs but nothing happens in the brain (that we know so far). The way the beta-blocker works is that it eases smooth and cardiac muscle, which decreases the contractility of the heart (slows it down) and causes vasodilation (opens up blood vessels and drops pressure). Since a large portion of anxiety is a feedback response from how the juices of stress (adrenaline, cortisol, etc.) activate the sympathetic nervous system, a beta-blocker can only affect the "body" and not the "mind".

The conditions of this experiment are extremely artificial and I'm not convinced that beta-adrenergic blocking will mean any breakthroughs. It's already well known that acetylcholine and glutamic acid are instrumental in memory formation and retention--I think someone needs to be jumping off from there if they want to do any real memory alteration; good, bad or indifferent.

If someone is really interested in erasing bad memories, electroconvulsive therapy does a great job of it. We've been doing it for a hundred years and post-mortem/fMRI studies have shown that the repeated seizures significantly shrink the hippocampus, which is where a lot of autobiographical memory is stored. You just forget about the shit that bugged you in the first place. I guarantee that whatever chemical agent scientists devise will have worse side effects and won't work nearly as well as ECT. New is definitely not always better in medicine.

Very interesting I see you clearly know your shit! :-)

Yeah I must admit thinking about a bit more I was pretty skepital that Beta Blockers would have this effect. Perhaps its more a knock on effect due to the fact that it has a relaxing effect so that during the process because the individuals felt more relaxed the impact of the emotion was some what less if you get me.

Just wondered do you work in psychology etc 'cause I'm wondering how you know so much stuff man!

Without "bad" memories (baby onwards) we'd probably fall off a cliff, or walk in front of a car or something.. what a stupid invention

People are dying from AIDS and all they can think about is make a drug to inhibit bad memories? give me a fucking break :facepalm:

Maybe it will make me forget I have AIDS.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

Similar statements have already been made but yeah if you wiped out all your bad memories you would be a completely different person. You probably would still have a large amount of sub conscious training not to do completely stupid shit but you would be extremely naive.

Archived