IGNORED

Belong - Common Era

Tauhid

http://kranky.net/

http://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=13277

belong.jpg

"the final bit of info for the moment is the krank155 Belong-Common Era LP / CD / digital which will be unleashed on march 21st. it has been five years since this new orleans duo has delivered an album, and this will be a revelation for fans and newcomers alike."

This could be worrysome though:

"but on Common Era their music comes more into focus, with distinct vocals, guitars and drum machines that follow basic pop song structures."

Guest Enter a new display name

New Tim Hecker, new Deaf Center and now new Belong. 2011 seems better than 2010 already. And thanks for the heads up, Tauhid!

• 1 month later...

just what the world needs, another fake shoegaze album

name the other offenders. i get more of a joy division feel with shoegaze treatment, than fake shoegaze. this is also like a distorted, damaged version of radio dept.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

This album is a stunner! Divergent compared to the first album... Also very midrangy sounding to me where the first album seemed like the entire freqeuncy band was almost completely saturated; Common Era sounds a bit muffled by comparison, but it also makes me feel this palpable sense of longing... it's a bit hard to explain; like hearing something amazing a few rooms away and knowing that you can't get into that room to hear it more clearly. A kind of tragic beauty.

Guest Gary C

I love it. Perhaps just as much as October Language. I didn't enjoy the 60s EP so much, but Common Era is definitely what I wanted to hear at this moment.

I've just had the CD and vinyl delivered. I don't even own a record player, but I might have to find a cheap one for this album alone.

Guest Archrival

There is some really stunning tracks on this album, like the 2 first and the last track. Great album.

• 2 years later...

This album is a stunner! Divergent compared to the first album... Also very midrangy sounding to me where the first album seemed like the entire freqeuncy band was almost completely saturated; Common Era sounds a bit muffled by comparison, but it also makes me feel this palpable sense of longing... it's a bit hard to explain; like hearing something amazing a few rooms away and knowing that you can't get into that room to hear it more clearly. A kind of tragic beauty.

Well said, heard a few rooms away. I think about that concept a lot, actually, and I'm a little dumbfounded to see it used to describe this album, because it is a perfect attribution. This album is still one of my favorite of all time, and nothing fits the sunset drive back from a day in another city. You know the one, it is an hour or two away, and has better stuff than where you live.

Fun Fact: The Sight Below ranked "Common Era" in his top albums of 2011 list, and "Glider" is somewhat similar.

Well said, heard a few rooms away. I think about that concept a lot, actually, and I'm a little dumbfounded to see it used to describe this album, because it is a perfect attribution. This album is still one of my favorite of all time, and nothing fits the sunset drive back from a day in another city. You know the one, it is an hour or two away, and has better stuff than where you live.

Fun Fact: The Sight Below ranked "Common Era" in his top albums of 2011 list, and "Glider" is somewhat similar.

I am interested in checking out 'The Sight Below' as I've heard great things. Where should I start?

Doesn't matter really. It's all great. I would start with Glider I guess and go chronologically from there. His remixes of Biosphere's N-plants are far better than the album.

I am haha. I found N-Plants to be pretty dry, and the beats sounded corny. I wish there were more than three tracks on the EP, two of which are versions of the first track on the album.

Guess I never commented on Common Era. Great album overall and was obsessed with A Walk and Perfect Life for awhile. I actually think the album is more unique than October Language, which is borderline Fennesz worship.

I thought the exact same thing. I was comparing it to Substrata and Dropsonde, but it is basically Patashnik filtered through those albums. I came to a point where it sounded brilliant all of the sudden, and now I love it.

On Common Era, sometimes I skip the first two tracks, but there is nothing wrong with them and they transition nicely into the rest of the album which does not misstep. Very Careful is one of the best last tracks of any album, kind of like how Absence is on Totems Flare, but even better.

Archived