IGNORED

music for the jilted generation is a work of genius

vamos scorcho

I think we all can agree that his is one of the most beautiful electronic tracks ever made

Yeah! Probably the only Chemical Brothers track i can listen to these days!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's pretty shocking when you consider that the Chemical Brothers and the Prodigy were the 90s version of 'EDM' in terms of marketing power and money behind it. Such a far cry from the Skrillex's and Deadmau5's of today

yeah.. what happened? I think skrillex and deadmau5 are more aimed towards children whereas prodigy and chemical bros were aimed at an older audience.. correct me if im wrong though. didnt get to live thru the 90s as an adult unfortunately 8-(

Good point, I feel the mid-00s bloghouse phenomenon after trance's dominance was better too, especially all the Ed Banger stuff.

It's the utterly lame EDM I can't stand: Deadmau5, Swedish House, Adviciii or whatever the fuck, shit like that. I find Skrillex and Mad Decent's roster with all the drops and godawful novelty sounds at least stupidly fun.

i think in the 90s the idea of music still being slightly cerebral with psychedelic vibes was actually marketable, at least in the eyes of the big labels and marketing execs. Now they are trying to hit a broader audience. Even when Electronica was heavily pushed on the public, it was still in some sense a limited hangout genre. IT's really weird to think of the era when they played 'The box' by orbital on the biggest alternative rock station in the bay area sometimes multiple times a day.

That tapped into the rock crossover angle as well. The first time I heard Chemical Brothers was on this comp my dad had, I played it a lot in high school:

61s2R2hnjVL.jpg

The chemical brothers and the prodigy were something of a flash in the pan. In my mind they're equivalent to pink Floyd and led zeppelin. I genuinely feel that way. The music was new and they were genuinely making good, creative stuff for fun and as part of an enthusiastic new world.

That's not going to happen again for a while I would guess. Skrillex and deadmaus aren't really representative of anything similar in my view. They're more comparable to like... Moby and maybe some fourth rate big beat act. Nobody with any real musical taste, young or old, gets excited about that stuff like they did big beat in the 90s.

I was reading an interview of the c bros... Those guys had really good taste at the time. They compared themselves to aphex twin and pole in 1995 and 1997 and said they were going for something more like a band, to give the music an "album", also were mbv fans apparently. All this is important to me bc I view them as true originals and geniuses, at least up to surrender, with a few good songs on come with us.

Surrender may be their best album in retrospect. Frankly the prodigy doesn't even come remotely close when it gets down to it, but they're still second best of that time.

Listen through "music:response"

That's gourmet shit. Seriously. From top to bottom.

Archived