IGNORED

music for the jilted generation is a work of genius

vamos scorcho

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest hahathhat

HURRR HURRR I HAVE NO SONGWRITING SO I WILL COVER POPULAR SONGS WITH ACCORDIAN I AM LIKE AN UNFUNNY RICHARD CHEESE

Guest Lube Saibot

Also, when has the Prodigy ever been "experimental". I mean, yeah, I see the post-90's decline in experimentalism in Reznor's case, but Howlett? Prodigy was never more than rave taken really really seriously and produced laboriously and with lots of TLC. IMO, that never changed, even at their worst (baby's got a temper), same energy, same production values, same spirit, only people no longer dig rave so much. The prodigy still obviously really really do.

So what did you expect after? That they would go full-on Autechre, or that they would hop onto the next really popular genre and make it their own? Honestly, if the prodigy started making dubstep or "electro" to "keep up with the times" i would literally get depressed. and, let's not forget what happens when grand-daddies from cheesier days try to "keep up" (not that pendulum are in any way in the same league as prodigy but still...):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvUyPUfmwNU

...i puked in my own mouth a little bit...

Then some people complain about "cheese" and stuff...

Have you HEARD "no good"?! that's like one of the cheesiest fucking tunes of all times and also one of my favorite tunes ever. and some of you will say "yeah but those were different times", and i retort that by then incunabula had already dropped, aphex was making waves, if they would've ever given a fuck about leftfield it would've happened sooner rather that later.

Here's to prodigy sounding the very fucking same 10 years from now, so i still have somewhere to go for the itch only they know how to scratch. :beer:

Guest Greg Reason

The Prodigy are one of the most over rated bands out there. Having said that, I do like this album and some others. The new one was muck though.

Man Thunder and Omen were well mad tho, and the leaked version of Worlds on Fire was sick

edit: I actually really like Take Me to the Hospital too except for the moronic lyrics

Guest Greg Reason

and, let's not forget what happens when grand-daddies from cheesier days try to "keep up" (not that pendulum are in any way in the same league as prodigy but still...):

Pendulum were always shit though. I remember seeing them years ago before they were famous and it was one of the worst things I'd ever seen in my life. Then they got huge and I was just like "how does this shit work?"

Guest Lube Saibot

and, let's not forget what happens when grand-daddies from cheesier days try to "keep up" (not that pendulum are in any way in the same league as prodigy but still...):

Pendulum were always shit though. I remember seeing them years ago before they were famous and it was one of the worst things I'd ever seen in my life. Then they got huge and I was just like "how does this shit work?"

quoted for truth.

Also, when has the Prodigy ever been "experimental". I mean, yeah, I see the post-90's decline in experimentalism in Reznor's case, but Howlett? Prodigy was never more than rave taken really really seriously and produced laboriously and with lots of TLC. IMO, that never changed, even at their worst (baby's got a temper), same energy, same production values, same spirit, only people no longer dig rave so much. The prodigy still obviously really really do.

So what did you expect after? That they would go full-on Autechre, or that they would hop onto the next really popular genre and make it their own? Honestly, if the prodigy started making dubstep or "electro" to "keep up with the times" i would literally get depressed. and, let's not forget what happens when grand-daddies from cheesier days try to "keep up" (not that pendulum are in any way in the same league as prodigy but still...):

Then some people complain about "cheese" and stuff...

Have you HEARD "no good"?! that's like one of the cheesiest fucking tunes of all times and also one of my favorite tunes ever. and some of you will say "yeah but those were different times", and i retort that by then incunabula had already dropped, aphex was making waves, if they would've ever given a fuck about leftfield it would've happened sooner rather that later.

Here's to prodigy sounding the very fucking same 10 years from now, so i still have somewhere to go for the itch only they know how to scratch. :beer:

i like the cut of yer jib, sir

Also, when has the Prodigy ever been "experimental". I mean, yeah, I see the post-90's decline in experimentalism in Reznor's case, but Howlett?

Perhaps "experimental" was the wrong word to use. I was trying to say that during the 90s their sound evolved because Howlett was "experimenting" with new styles and approaches to his music e.g. FOTL is a clear display that Howlett at the time was into bands like Rage Against the Machine and other guitar based music which seemingly rubbed off on his music making, therefore he experimented further with this and came out with tracks like Breathe and Firestarter. However, when we reach AONO and IMD (2004 and 2009) there seems to be a sense of laziness in the music making (emphasis on the fact that this is imo, because all music is subjective anyway) which then meant that his music suffered. I don't regard him to be "experimenting" with a new, interesting approach to the Prodigy's music today.

Anyway, just posting this to lighten the mood a little:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM_8PiSMpTs

if the prodigy started making dubstep or "electro" to "keep up with the times" i would literally get depressed. :beer:

Sorry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIwgocCHYnU

but to be fair, it was a "short lived" remix that they used in their live shows, before people pointed out that it was shit, so they went back to the original breathe...

:facepalm:

Guest Lube Saibot

if the prodigy started making dubstep or "electro" to "keep up with the times" i would literally get depressed. :beer:

Sorry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIwgocCHYnU

but to be fair, it was a "short lived" remix that they used in their live shows, before people pointed out that it was shit, so they went back to the original breathe...

:facepalm:

wow... WOW. and there was nothing intrinsically BAD with it, i mean... "breathe" isn't anything if not a track that could accommodate a huge half-tempo head-nodding vibe. and that beat is pretty bangin, from what i hear, but of course they half-ass it... those fucking lfo "FX" pew pew pew! shits and them not doing the vocal bits with the same gusto or flow anymore. at least they didn't use Brutal Electro. goes to show why people should stick with what they're good at.

The sample work he did was pretty incredible, seeing those youtube track recreations really made me appreciate the work involved even more.

From the prodigy.info

"I remember going down to the music shop in Chelmsford and saying 'What do I need?' I was going to buy a Roland S-10 Sampler and a little sequencer but the guy in the shop said, 'Wait a couple of months, there's this new thing coming out. It's like a workstation in one keyboard.' It was like, 'Man that sounds good.' I got the W-30 and, you know, for about four months I didn't go out. I stayed in every day with the headphones on learning how the thing worked. Man, I just had to learn that keyboard inside and out. "

That's the type of drive you only have when you're young and or poor.

• 2 years later...

Bottle of decent french red and spinning this loud right now (just reached No Good...).

Not sure which is more tasty, the wine or the music. This isn't music to stroke your chin to its music to go mental to, though just chilling at home works well. You cannot deny the amount of ideas rushing backwards and forwards into every tune. Hardly, if ever a dull moment and thats good going seeing how long some of these tracks are.

So good :music:

Archived