IGNORED

Neil gaiman debunks internet piracy

delet...

i think the whole notion that artists somehow deserve to make a living off their art is ridiculous.

I think the truly exceptional or unique should be able to do so.

Also, I think if I had more time to focus on music, and more projects to improve myself, then I would produce better work. I understand not everyone operates like this, but why does a computer programmer who loves his job get to make a living from it and I don't deserve to make a living from what I love to do?

good question, seems like an odd thing to say, too bad Remy can't followup since he is no longer with us

i believe Francis Ford Coppola said something similar recently

http://the99percent.com/articles/6973/Francis-Ford-Coppola-On-Risk-Money-Craft-Collaboration

cheers, i'll read that later.

What was Remy banned for? I didn't realize he wasn't with us anymore. I looked forward to his response.

but why does a computer programmer who loves his job get to make a living from it and I don't deserve to make a living from what I love to do?

Well for most programmers the programming we do to make a living is not fun, creative work. It's tedious, hard work for stupid clients with ridiculous demands. There are few programmers that can make a living of programming stuff that's near to their hearts, just like it is for artists.

I'm not sure if you're trying to make this hard to respond to.

As an electronic musician, I'll say that any composing work I do that is in the realm of electronics is mostly tedious work. You really think I love plugging in midi events? No, I don't. What I love is having the time to express myself. I've done work for people telling me exactly what they want second for second [because that's the nature of the business], but I don't complain about that because we're working together for a common artistic goal. I love writing music in any style for any medium even if it isn't a style that I'm completely inspired by.

I understand computer programming is a whole different thing, but there are still similarities to the process. Honestly, I couldn't be a strict web designer because I've tried writing code all day and it makes me want to slit my throat. However, there are still people in the business that love what they do, and I'm sure they see it in a similar fashion that I do.

Too many sentences with prepositions.

/drunkrant

Someone needs to make a line graph showing the breakover point at which piracy as a means for exposure crosses the cost for that exposure that begins to prohibit sales (where you'd get data to show this is beyond me...). A complete unknown will benefit greatly from piracy. A pop icon will be hurt insignificantly due to piracy. Some where in the middle lies everyone else.

Someone needs to make a line graph showing the breakover point at which piracy as a means for exposure crosses the cost for that exposure that begins to prohibit sales (where you'd get data to show this is beyond me...). A complete unknown will benefit greatly from piracy. A pop icon will be hurt insignificantly due to piracy. Some where in the middle lies everyone else.

+1

Kinda disappointed Remy was banned, this was an interesting discussion.

Yeah probably, I'd say that middle ground is where it gets really tricky. But in today's world, complete unknowns rarely need to have their work pirated, most complete unknowns put their work up online for free.

Archived