IGNORED

Culinary Accidents

Zephyr_Nova

Yesterday I bought a bunch of deli meat and cheese + a couple bagels. I made my bagel sandwiches, both were alright but kind of disappointing. Today I still had a lot of the cheese/meat leftover, but no bread. So I decided to go ahead and just fold the cheese over the meat, leave it at that. To my surprise, it was a good deal more satisfying than the more conventional bagel sandwiches of the day prior. I am still basking in the afterglow of how much I enjoyed this breadless sandwich... it's just stupid how happy it made me. So much so that it compelled me to make this thread. But I don't want it to be all about my fucking breadless sandwich. Let this be the thread for sharing all weird food ideas that somehow end up working out... or failing horribly as the case may be. Mine was the most basic example, but yours may be as sophisticated and gourmet-quality as your culinary expertise permits. Or you can write about how you ate some grass, doesn't matter to me.

Go!

i made some rice to put into a burrito but i needed tomato sauce but ditn have it so i useds spagetti pasta tomato sauce and it was ok :shrug:

but eating 2 big burritos its to much burritos!!!

did you try bread on your sandwhich btyw??

i made some rice to put into a burrito but i needed tomato sauce but ditn have it so i useds spagetti pasta tomato sauce and it was ok :shrug:

but eating 2 big burritos its to much burritos!!!

did you try bread on your sandwhich btyw??

lol

So I decided to go ahead and just fold the cheese over the meat, leave it at that. To my surprise, it was a good deal more satisfying than the more conventional bagel sandwiches of the day prior.

Stallone Cuts!

Veins of tangy mayo!

pizza base with black olives, feta, dried apricots, sprinkling of parmesan, and homemade barbecue sauce (1/2 ketchup, 1/3 brown sauce [steak sauce for you merkins, i guess], 1/6 vinegar, and a spoon of brown sugar) in place of a tomato sauce. it was good.

HP is a variety (probably the best variety, imo). your average brown sauce is less fruity, more budget than HP. this one ain't too bad, standard chip shop fare:

daddies-brown-sauce.jpg

i never eat it. it is constantly around but i feel no desire to care. should i start?

also, a confusion arises because i don't ever hear the phrase "brown sauce" nor do i feel a need to go out and buy some. perhaps i am just ig'nant.

Guest disparaissant

i had a bottle of cheap brandy and nothing to chase it or mix it with. except a bottle of vanilla chai tea with soy. took a look at the bottle, was like "haaaaaaaang on, this is a bit like eggnog! eggnog with brandy is fantastic!"

turns out vanilla soy chai and brandy is even fucking better.

i never eat it. it is constantly around but i feel no desire to care. should i start?

also, a confusion arises because i don't ever hear the phrase "brown sauce" nor do i feel a need to go out and buy some. perhaps i am just ig'nant.

it's pretty crap, too tart. Now the other brown sauce, Barbecue Sauce is where it's at. I don't know if they have this overseas.

well, we do, considering i told you how to make it from ketchup, brown sauce, vinegar, and sugar a couple of posts up :emotawesomepm9:

it's remarkably similar to the bottled product.

turns out vanilla soy chai and brandy is even fucking better.

that sounds pretty fucking good right now

In the US, Barbecue Sauce is a very generic term encompassing a whole lot of regional... barbecue sauces. In Australia it's just tomato sauce and Worcestershire Sauce, yes?

well, we do, considering i told you how to make it from ketchup, brown sauce, vinegar, and sugar a couple of posts up

Foghorn_Leghorn2.jpg

i come into a thread late, i stay late !! nothing, i say nothing happened before i got there.

also, sometimes i make a cheap and quick pseudo-spaghetti-carbonara thing using baby button mushrooms, dried basil, lean chopped bacon, diced onion, and condensed chicken soup from a tin (without errr un-condensing it). it's very good with fresh pasta (from a packet). total accident which i'm sure has been endlessly replicated elsewhere.

This isn't brilliant or anything, but I've really taken to making some traditional style tacos (corn tortilla (not a fucking shell, grr), chopped onions, cilantro, and a fine (not chunky) spicy salsa) and replacing beef or chicken with some turkey/chicken sausages like these http://www.aidells.com/product/34 (or something fresh and local if available), diced. The sweetness and richness of the sausages works pretty well: a bit like a cheap 'n easy al pastor, but with whatever added complexity the particular sausage variety brings.

The trick is playing the particular salsa variety and the particular sausage variety off each other.

I think a Merguez sausage would work really well, that's my next experiment.

,-sie- this was supposed to be my food thread. ;-/ .. why must my threads die so that others may live.

Sorry about that, did a couple quick searches and didn't find anything quite the same before starting this thread. Starting a new thread in Gen Ban was a big step for me, so I'm not surprised there was something problematic about it. I'm normally a passive responder, not a thread starter.

I like wrapping a roasted red pepper in a piece of salami and then rolling that in a nice piece of sharp provolone.

Great! This takes my accident to the next logical step.

not really a culinary accident on my part, but pretty sure it started life as one

coca-cola chicken

chop two boneless breasts of chicken into chunks. fry until the outside is sealed (pale but not golden) and set aside.

chop 2 red chilis, 2 cloves of garlic, 1 green pepper and one onion roughly.

break a head of broccoli into largeish chunks, discarding the stem.

meanwhile mix one 330ml can of coca-cola (NOT DIET. the sugar is essential), two/three decent squirts of hp sauce, a decent dash of soy sauce, and a tablespoon of honey. you should be aiming for a slightly glossy consistency.

get the oil in the wok (ideally including that from the chicken) - really hot!

fuck in the vegetables, toss em round for a minute, then add the coke mixture and the chicken, and toss round a bit more.

the aim is to get the sauce to caramelize on the meat and veg, which it should do pretty easily. it's very sugary, and the high heat will help. cook until the chicken is done, but no longer.

i serve it with sticky rice.

,-sie- this was supposed to be my food thread. ;-/ .. why must my threads die so that others may live.

I'm normally a passive responder, not a thread starter.

Same here. Oh the irony that we should then work to cancel one another other out.

Archived