IGNORED

Robin Guthrie & Harold Budd - Bordeaux

Guest Archrival

Guest Archrival

Robin Guthrie and Harold Budd have a new record out on Darla Records called Bordeaux thats up there with Budds collabos with Eno! Easily one of the best albums of 2011 so far and a classic! You must check it out!

http://darla.com/index.php?fuseaction=item_cat.ecom_superitem_detail&item_cat_id=38944

Darla Records is proud to offer Bordeaux, a new album by Robin Guthrie and Harold Budd; unquestionably the two masters of sonic beauty, minimalism and modern ambient. We feel there is nothing better than an artist with a sound so completely original and unique unto himself that it is instantly recognizable. This gift is widely acknowledged to be one bestowed on both Mr. Guthrie and Mr. Budd. What's even more significant, however, is how the signature style of each combine to create a complimentary union so rare and sublime.

Since meeting in 1986 when they recorded The Moon And The Melodies they have joined occasionally for albums, soundtracks and live performances. Each has forged a very independent music career and become firmly established in his own right. Mr. Budd’s 1984 album The Pearl, a collaboration with Brian Eno, remains an ambient minimalist milestone that set the scene for a whole generation of copyists. Likewise Mr. Guthrie’s guitar and production work, from his roots in Cocteau Twins, has broken entirely new ground and has had a significant impact on alternative music for over 30 years.

With the twin albums After The Night Falls and Before The Day Breaks released in 2006, Mr. Guthrie and Mr. Budd received acclaim without parallel. However, Bordeaux, recorded in the hazy Summer of 2010 in a studio near Bordeaux, France, has a further degree of elegance, poise and sheer breathtaking romance, which shows these two fine gentlemen at their best.

Evident, as one would expect, is a maturity, intensity and depth of character, magnificently understated, which no others in the field can even come close to matching. Its dense richness makes Bordeaux a striking work of ambient impressionism. Quite clearly, Mr. Budd and Mr. Guthrie have created one of the most atmospheric and captivating instrumental performances of our time.

1. Gaze

2. Deva C

3. The Names of Those Never Here

4. So Many Short Years Ago

5. The Belles of Saint Andrew

6. Radiant City

7. L'Aventure

8. Smiling Apart

9. Southern Shore

Guest Archrival

Hahaha!!!!

If this is ambient by the numbers!!! :ohmy: Please then tell what REAL good not ambient by the numbers is!

Liked the youtube clip well enough.

I don't really understand how you can give this sort of music "a spin"...you need to immerse yourself in ambient...

by tom hacker did you maybe mean tim hecker? cause I can't find any reference to a tom hacker on discogs...

I don't really understand how you can give this sort of music "a spin"...you need to immerse yourself in ambient...

by tom hacker did you maybe mean tim hecker? cause I can't find any reference to a tom hacker on discogs...

tom hacker is an independent dark ambient/minimal techno musician from south slovakia, heavily inspired by canadian viking culture and palestinian struggle for independance, he did a split 7" with muslimgauze called "ak 47's for everyone" in 96.

i like my musics a bit more assertive generally, but it's not that i was furiously masturbating and screaming while listening to it anyway..

i rarely put my musics on the background of some other activity, but this one was so mellow and inoffensive that it felt just right for the task, there was no moment when i felt compelled to stop reading and listen more carefully, it just floated along pleasantly.

Guest Archrival

Indeed! :shuriken:

Love on first listen for me, definitely. They've got the same formula and nothing's changed so I guess you could call this repetitive, but it's perfect for what it is - grabbing a mug of coffee and going deep into your thoughts. Budd had his great moments as a solo artist too, but it's really these collaborations where he shines. These Budd/Guthrie records and especially Translucence/Drift Music with John Foxx are absolutely in my list of the best piano (ambient) records, right after the unbeatable Eno collaborations which I don't even need to mention by name.

Archived