IGNORED

Moving a computer overseas

thehauntingsoul

why bother moving overseas if you're just gonna be a gamer nerd?

it's the closest gal he could find that would give him a lay.

(sorry hauntingsoul!)

LOL

Guest Great Maker ShaiHulud

I'm thinking of taking it apart, packing the individual parts in static bags and padding them with bubble wrap and packing it into my carry-on

lol, way to get shot

I've done this on several international flights and dozens of domestic with 0 issues. Seriously they actually seem to leave you alone if you have 2 or 3 laptops and a bunch of weird boards and tools, because the only times I've been stopped for searching has been with no bags at all...

are you white?

Ah good point. I am the whitest person on earth. They probably wonder what an Amish person is doing with all the weird electronics in antistatic bags.

Also PDX has very friendly TSAs. They're a bunch of fucking bitches in Austin and, oddly enough, SFO.

Once, I accidentally had a screwdriver set at the bottom of my carry on that went right through the xray scanner with nary a peep from the eminently professional TSA personnel (a 50-somethign white woman with cornrows).

Guest spike

idea, transfer all your data to externals, sell your machine in the us, rebuild in europe. i do not know what the cost entails, but sounds the easiest.

If it's that crucial to transport your current comp. and not buy a new one, buy a hard "flight case" for it (there are lots) or pack its individual pieces into a cheaper flight case wrapped up. The cost may or may not be aroudn the same as shipping but i'd go with just ship it.

* note if you ship it: make sure you send it somewhere someone will be there to sign for it, which is often required on a lot of insured international or even just fed ex alone shipments.

4 ur health

Don't worry about power, it's just a kettel lead surely? I've got tonnes of them in the office.

Yeah but wouldn't my pcu need to be compatible with your electrical frequency? I imagine the same would go for the monitor.

If it's that crucial to transport your current comp. and not buy a new one, buy a hard "flight case" for it (there are lots) or pack its individual pieces into a cheaper flight case wrapped up. The cost may or may not be aroudn the same as shipping but i'd go with just ship it.

* note if you ship it: make sure you send it somewhere someone will be there to sign for it, which is often required on a lot of insured international or even just fed ex alone shipments.

4 ur health

So by flight case you don't mean take the computer apart, pack up each part and arrange them strategically amongst my clothing?

Don't worry about power, it's just a kettel lead surely? I've got tonnes of them in the office.

Yeah but wouldn't my pcu need to be compatible with your electrical frequency? I imagine the same would go for the monitor.

4 ur health

So by flight case you don't mean take the computer apart, pack up each part and arrange them strategically amongst my clothing?

no you shove your computer, case and all, in a giant box filled with foam and outside of thick wood & metal and check it for whatever it costs.

Guest analogue wings

This is a really stupid idea. Just burn the shit you want to keep onto DVDs and pack them. Wipe the computer and sell it. I hope the rest of your moving plans make more sense for your sake.

4 ur health

no you shove your computer, case and all, up your arse.

fixt.

is it just me or does this project sound a bit anachronistic..? Desktop computers, they used to have these monstrosities on and under their desks and they had diesel engines.

i love desktops. you can't do goddamn anything with a laptop when it develops a problem, except maybe swap out the hard disc. laptops encourage this bullshit about "disposable appliances" where it's built like shit and dies after a year, so they can sell you a new one.

have you considered a barebone/mini-pc?

Unless you need dozens of pci/pcie slots, they are fine for everything.

Archived