IGNORED

Ode to Chalie Chaplin

goDel

This clip got me a bit sentimental.

The ending speech from The Dictator meshed with Hans Zimmers (OST Inception). A real tearjerker for the megalomaniacs of this world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K75w6p7cKB8

Point being: never been to conscious of Charlies achievements. But that'll change soon.

eddit: yeah reddit...

Guest dese manz hatin

Nice quote, may or may not be the right place to post this. Theodor W. Adorno about Chaplin:

"Perhaps I may justify my speaking about [Chaplin] by recounting a certain privilege which I was granted, entirely without having earned it. He once imitated me, and surely I am one of the few intellectuals to whom this happened and to be able to account for it when it happened. Together with many others we were invited to a villa in Malibu, on the coast outside of Los Angeles. While Chaplin stood next to me, one of the guests was taking his leave early. Unlike Chaplin, I extended my hand to him a bit absent-mindedly, and, almost instantly, started violently back. The man was one of the lead actors from The Best Years of Our Lives, a film famous shortly after the war; he lost a hand during the war, and in its place bore practicable claws made of iron. When I shook his right hand and felt it return the pressure, I was extremely startled, but sensed immediately that I could not reveal my shock to the injured man at any price. In a split second I transformed my frightened expression into an obliging grimace that must have been far ghastlier. The actor had hardly moved away when Chaplin was already playing the scene back. All the laughter he brings about is so near to cruelty; solely in such proximity to cruelty does it find its legitimation and its element of the salvational. Let my remembrance of this event and my thanks be my congratulations to him on his 75th birthday."

one of the best speeches ive heard oddly enough.

i like the version with M83..but this is good too.

For a second I assumed you meant Ae's m62. That'd be more cheese than Squee could bare.. :duckhunt:

Amazing how the speech still resonates. The ease with which it reaches across decades and is still very much relevant. It's timeless, but in a somewhat cynical sense.

Charlie Chaplin is a total genius. I feel a lot of the younger generations need to pick up on what he was laying down.

If you ever want a really good read, check out his autobiography. His perspective on the world is truly one of a kind. The guy was like Michael Jackson, Tom Cruise, The Beatles, Barack Obama and Mickey Mouse all rolled into one.

The guy was like Michael Jackson, Tom Cruise, The Beatles, Barack Obama and Mickey Mouse all rolled into one.

You monster! Look what you made me do.

ztg0ndq5njnkmtu5mzzkmwmxmzjmzgvlnjbhyja0zgm.jpg

Nice quote, may or may not be the right place to post this. Theodor W. Adorno about Chaplin:

"Perhaps I may justify my speaking about [Chaplin] by recounting a certain privilege which I was granted, entirely without having earned it. He once imitated me, and surely I am one of the few intellectuals to whom this happened and to be able to account for it when it happened. Together with many others we were invited to a villa in Malibu, on the coast outside of Los Angeles. While Chaplin stood next to me, one of the guests was taking his leave early. Unlike Chaplin, I extended my hand to him a bit absent-mindedly, and, almost instantly, started violently back. The man was one of the lead actors from The Best Years of Our Lives, a film famous shortly after the war; he lost a hand during the war, and in its place bore practicable claws made of iron. When I shook his right hand and felt it return the pressure, I was extremely startled, but sensed immediately that I could not reveal my shock to the injured man at any price. In a split second I transformed my frightened expression into an obliging grimace that must have been far ghastlier. The actor had hardly moved away when Chaplin was already playing the scene back. All the laughter he brings about is so near to cruelty; solely in such proximity to cruelty does it find its legitimation and its element of the salvational. Let my remembrance of this event and my thanks be my congratulations to him on his 75th birthday."

ahahahaah classic adorno.

The guy was like Michael Jackson, Tom Cruise, The Beatles, Barack Obama and Mickey Mouse all rolled into one.

You monster! Look what you made me do.

ztg0ndq5njnkmtu5mzzkmwmxmzjmzgvlnjbhyja0zgm.jpg

Wow! You just bust through the drywall with that one!

:emotawesomepm9:

fucking above and beyond the call

Archived