IGNORED

Bvdub - Songs for a Friend I Left Behind

bvdub has some beautiful stuff. Not a fan of everything but a few of them I've definitely enjoyed a lot. Thanks for the update will have to check this.

Guest AcrossCanyons

He's great but when he releases so much and they all sound so similar it's hard to keep up...

Guest Hanratty

I think I'm starting to get bored of him.

haven't heard it but he always seems to have this whiny sad boy aspect to his stuff. I wish he'd just leave it untitled.

Guest Archrival

haven't heard it but he always seems to have this whiny sad boy aspect to his stuff. I wish he'd just leave it untitled.

You just sounded like a whiny sad boy :/

Its so rare these days with artists not being ironic about real emotions. Could someone give me more tips about artists like Gas, Bvdub, Loscil all the kompakt "pop ambient" ones etc... You all have to check out Ulf Lhoman!

Its so rare these days with artists not being ironic about real emotions.

In earlier newsletters to his fans Brock has occasionally been very sincere about his troubles with depression. For instance, he wrote about the making of his album "The Art of Dying Alone" that it helped get him through an extremely rough depression and a period of extreme isolation "from which I wasn't sure I was going to return".

Now, personally I don't think there is neither anything "whiny" nor a "sad boy aspect" to clinical depression.

And like Archrival I feel there is something genuinely refreshing about artists in electronic music who choose not to hide behind "safe" abstract concepts and song titles.

I mean, some of the best electronic/ambient/callitwhatyouwant music released in recent years has had an unabashedly sentimental streak: Burial, Stars of The Lid, Celer, Ulrich Schnauss, Richard Skelton, Manual, Helios/Goldmund, The Sight Below/R.A. Irisarri, The Caretaker, Marsen Jules, etc.

So, Bvdub seems to be in excellent company, if you ask me.

Guest Hanratty

Its so rare these days with artists not being ironic about real emotions. Could someone give me more tips about artists like Gas, Bvdub, Loscil all the kompakt "pop ambient" ones etc... You all have to check out Ulf Lhoman!

I think we're at the point where not being ironic about emotions is actually more ironic. he should just do shoegaze and sing some sad little lyrics over the top.

Guest Smuckers

"Descent to the End" from The Art of Dying Alone has been the only track I've kept from the many releases I've heard of his.

Guest Archrival

In earlier newsletters to his fans Brock has occasionally been very sincere about his troubles with depression. For instance, he wrote about the making of his album "The Art of Dying Alone" that it helped get him through an extremely rough depression and a period of extreme isolation "from which I wasn't sure I was going to return".

Now, personally I don't think there is neither anything "whiny" nor a "sad boy aspect" to clinical depression.

And like Archrival I feel there is something genuinely refreshing about artists in electronic music who choose not to hide behind "safe" abstract concepts and song titles.

I mean, some of the best electronic/ambient/callitwhatyouwant music released in recent years has had an unabashedly sentimental streak: Burial, Stars of The Lid, Celer, Ulrich Schnauss, Richard Skelton, Manual, Helios/Goldmund, The Sight Below/R.A. Irisarri, The Caretaker, Marsen Jules, etc.

I completely agree and I LOVE all those sincere artists you just mentioned, except for Irisarri who I dont know about and have to check out! :D

By the way this Bvdub album is fantastic!

I completely agree and I LOVE all those sincere artists you just mentioned, except for Irisarri who I dont know about and have to check out! :D

By the way this Bvdub album is fantastic!

You might like Irisarri's "side project"

even more than the stuff released under his own name.

I'm grateful for any tips about artists similar to those already mentioned.

Guest Archrival

I think we're at the point where not being ironic about emotions is actually more ironic. he should just do shoegaze and sing some sad little lyrics over the top.

"he should just do shoegaze and sing some sad little lyrics over the top"

He already got some insanely beautiful vocals on top of his tracks like http://www.discogs.com/Various-Pop-Ambient-2011/master/305483 check out the track "Make The Pain Go Away"

I don't know what you mean by this "I think we're at the point where not being ironic about emotions is actually more ironic." Could you please explain further what you mean by this, I don't really understand?

Archived