IGNORED

Modular sickness

Hautlle

I'm generally not a fan of Mr. Devine and his gear pimping/whoring, but that actually is pretty sick. It's especially nice to see a modular demonstration that isn't unlistenable trash.

I'm generally not a fan of Mr. Devine and his gear pimping/whoring, but that actually is pretty sick. It's especially nice to see a modular demonstration that isn't unlistenable trash.

This. Couldn't express it more succinctly myself.

i do not understand the wondriment,

it is a hard drive platter used as a giant jog wheel ???

I think it's used to drive the clock or something but either way this shit is coming out soon apparently

I saw something similar at a festival in a little tent called 'Noisy Toys' where the an old HD disk was used to control the frequency of a sine wave then all of a sudden some dudes started filming me when I started whipping up some cheesy DnB basslines :emotawesomepm9:

we spent far too long in that tent

My link

Guest hahathhat

i do not understand the wondriment,

it is a hard drive platter used as a giant jog wheel ???

I think it's used to drive the clock or something but either way this shit is coming out soon apparently

you know how a hard drive maintains its speed, reading the proper bits off at the proper time while hurtling around at great speeds???

the rotational mechanism has a precise sensor built into it that counts blips as it goes around and around. N blips per cycle. Not exactly a huge conceptual leap to use that as a gate signal....

edit: or it's a stepper motor they're getting pulses out of. in either case, it strikes me as a rotary encoder that keeps spinning like expensive car hubcaps. is it more? that'd be nice.

Guest theSun

This. Couldn't express it more succinctly myself.

first example is awesome, i'd love for him to put out a whole album like this. The guy i think is too much of a perfectionist though to release something this 'raw'

also i have to admit that when i read the thread title it was referring to sickness as the addiction of being a modular synth collector, which i suffer from a little bit and im sure many others do (including devine)

that devine video kind of reminds me of the faux random sequencing on the Wiard stuff by this dude

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl1o086hIDc&feature=channel_video_title

Guest hahathhat

modular sickness is actually when the EM waves put out by all those patch cables starts to eat away at the cingulate gyrus like hungry little fish in a koi pond.

edit: or it's a stepper motor they're getting pulses out of. in either case, it strikes me as a rotary encoder that keeps spinning like expensive car hubcaps. is it more? that'd be nice.

ya a stepper motor IS an encoder actually. the HD platter jsut gives is some momentum to keep spinning and he uses it as a kind of envelope decay-like thing. Neat, but not too interesting or listenable IMHO.

I like the kinds of sound he makes, but the structure tends to be a bit boring or monotonous or something.

didn't watmm already decide that using sample libraries made by richard devine was cheating? I remember people ragging on Synthetic drums like 4 years ago because the drum sounds were made by IDM stars

Guest mafted

skinny puppy's 'skinned' is by far the best sampling cd i've seen.. tho i haven't seen many. some of the most intensely awesome sounds on there.

didn't watmm already decide that using sample libraries made by richard devine was cheating? I remember people ragging on Synthetic drums like 4 years ago because the drum sounds were made by IDM stars

I checked out the Cwejman sample pack he had up online, wanted to hear what kinda sounds could be teased out of one as I'm interested in trying to get on for myself. really cool sounds but utterly unusable.

it's pretty much in keeping with the opinion I've always had about Richard Devine. he's clearly an incredibly talented programmer, and excellent at getting the most out of his equipment. but I don't get a whole lot of satisfaction from hearing his music, just doesn't click with me. I do very much enjoy it from a technical perspective however. Does seem like he's the perfect guy for making presets for stuff, simultaneously shows the products full potential and manages to make something unusable.

Still, can't quite understand why people want to use sample libraries, especially for IDM. I thought making the sounds was the fun part, making a track is purely an effort to justify the huge amount of time spent geeking out over kit :)

anyways, Cwejman looks well tasty, but I think I'm still more tempted by a proper modular. harvestman and makenoise stuff just looks more my kinda thing.

(tbh I do think RD is a fkn brilliant sound designer, and any criticism stems only from jealousy of talent and kit)

I don't quite click with Devine like i do with say Autechre however there are some gems on Asect:Dsect

I see him as a geeks geek and totally respect him for being that even if he does have a curiously shaped skull (which i also admire)

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

Making sounds is way fun but you ever think about the fact that sampling is just another tool you can use in a casserole of a brilliantly orchestrated sound design? I don't really make IDM per say, but the primary focus for me right now is playing stuff live with my midi controllers and not spending 6 hours making a sound. Sampling some really crazy IDM ish stuff to make into synths are put in a 16 pad kit I spent 2 hours on already is good for business. Besides 90% of the time a sample anything I end up changing the sound of it pretty dramatically. I've got no guilt about sampling sometimes, I'm already inefficient and hardworking about music enough.

doing your own sampling and using sample libraries i think are 2 very different things though. Especially if the library in question you use is very distinct sounding and just say a BFD drum kit patch (which is designed to sound very bread and butter utilitarian)

Making sounds is way fun but you ever think about the fact that sampling is just another tool you can use in a casserole of a brilliantly orchestrated sound design? I don't really make IDM per say, but the primary focus for me right now is playing stuff live with my midi controllers and not spending 6 hours making a sound. Sampling some really crazy IDM ish stuff to make into synths are put in a 16 pad kit I spent 2 hours on already is good for business. Besides 90% of the time a sample anything I end up changing the sound of it pretty dramatically. I've got no guilt about sampling sometimes, I'm already inefficient and hardworking about music enough.

This is pretty much my entire stance on the issue as well. I don't like the idea of just throwing some samples into a drum-kit/synth/whatever and using them stock, you gotta add your own flavor to them, but it's a great way to quickly throw down some ideas to build on later.

Archived