IGNORED

MLK Memorial - Washington DC

Rubin Farr

Guest Wall Bird

For all of the European Watmmers;

Was their ever an equivalent civil rights movement in your respective countries, or did Europe somehow avoid developing equally repressive systems towards black people and other racial minorities?

Holocaust?

Aaaaah yes. I suppose that would do it. Are there any other examples?

Guest ruiagnelo

Hate to break with the consensus, but I think that sculpture of him is embarrassingly crap. Bad likeness, bad execution - somewhere, Michaelangelo is laughing

considering the stone type, which always guides the execution of a sculpture, i think it is pretty good.

also a comparison with Michaelangelo is simply pointless, as he was carving rock 500 years ago

Was their ever an equivalent civil rights movement in your respective countries, or did Europe somehow avoid developing equally repressive systems towards black people and other racial minorities?

Holocaust?

Aaaaah yes. I suppose that would do it. Are there any other examples?

Ukraine. Byelorussia. Latvia. Yugoslavia. Bulgaria. Turkey. Italy. Hungary.

Hate to break with the consensus, but I think that sculpture of him is embarrassingly crap. Bad likeness, bad execution - somewhere, Michaelangelo is laughing

considering the stone type, which always guides the execution of a sculpture, i think it is pretty good.

also a comparison with Michaelangelo is simply pointless, as he was carving rock 500 years ago

oh that's right, I forgot humans have degenerated since 500 yrs ago.

Having googled it, the original small clay models seem better than the final granite one, I guess something was lost in translation. I do find it amusing that his body below his arms could easily be a statue of Mao (not surprising given the sculptor is Chinese). His body type seems strangely short and pudgy rather than heroic. But whatev, I like the overall concept behind the space so...

Guest ruiagnelo

oh that's right, I forgot humans have degenerated since 500 yrs ago.

Having googled it, the original small clay models seem better than the final granite one, I guess something was lost in translation. I do find it amusing that his body below his arms could easily be a statue of Mao (not surprising given the sculptor is Chinese). His body type seems strangely short and pudgy rather than heroic. But whatev, I like the overall concept behind the space so...

i googled the clay models and they do look fantastic, which makes me think that the photos of the actual memorial can deceive the eye. light has such power.

and a sculpture needs to be seen and lived in reality. wish i could do it, but it is quite far from where i am!

Europe perhaps didn't have such an institutional system of repression as the blacks endured in the US (apart from the Holocaust), but especially in Eastern European countries the Roma people are often considered second-class citizens.

Guest Lady kakapo

His body type seems strangely short and pudgy rather than heroic.

Wasn't MLK short and pudgy in real life? I think it's one of those instances someone's physical charisma (and tv) makes them appear taller.

Archived