IGNORED

Maschine Mikro

Guest The Bro

Looks interesting. I'm thinking about maybe getting an MPC500 secondhand but now I see this and it looks kinda fun. I really wanna get something that just fits in my bag and that I can take out and play at lunch.

Guest ryanmcallister

you do realize this requires a computer though right? not the same as an mpc500. looks cool though, i've been in the market for a good pad controller for a while and can't find anything that does everything i like...this maybe be an option. i couldn't justify paying full price for the full maschine package for just a midi controller, but i might be able to stretch for this, sexy little beast she is.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

I posted that Jeremy Ellis youtube on FB a few hours ago. As far as I know him and Araab Beats are the best finger percussion players in the world. I wouldn't be surprised if there was zero quantization in that video. He pretty much is just known for his pad playing skills. He probably practices 3 hours a day on average. I have been trying to get nearly that good punching pads for the last year, IMHO it's just as hard to master as a real drum kit (but it's easier to practice whenever you want) but I have felt a few times that Ellis' level of mastery is attainable if I just practiced enough.

no way it's quantized. He's playing like 64th notes in there. Would it be quantized to that? Might as well not be quantized at all! Plus you can here some off-tempo variation in the beginning. I bet if you graphed the bpm it would slightly vary through the track too.

definitely no quantization.

also no velocity... which makes it a little less impressive.

if you have any type of drumming skills, just practice several hours a day, with consistent sample setups, and I'm sure you could get as good as this guy(never seen this guy before... so he may be even better than what he does in this video, but I think something like this is pretty doable, with practice)

Nice to know that all these bold leaps in music technology have gotten us as far as square shaped buttons.

Well, maschine has always struck me as a clever way of integrating software and hardware. Its a clever bit of kit and will be cool to see a smaller, more portable version. But I'm growing a bit impatient with developers all offering slight variations on the same concept, and not making bold and fresh advances in terms of interface and form.

That video was certainly something, cant say I really enjoyed the music but pretty solid technique. That said I cant imagine its so unobtainable with a bit of practice. Strikes me as remarkably similar to double hand tapping techniques for guitar, see Steve Vai, Jennifer Batten etc.. Except those examples would probably be shunned as self gratifying wankery.. ho hum..

Guest ryanmcallister

ya'll need to scope the great david "fingers" haynes. imo he blows jeremy "gingers" ellis out the window. i've included a maschine video for consistency though i think he usually rocks an alesis unit.

[youtubehd]

RQuzYO4hp3A

[/youtubehd]

sorry if this is jazz :emotawesomepm9:

Do none of the Maschines have velocity on the pads?

Limitless assignable finger pads, knobs, faders, buttons and keys are really effective for tactile control of the in the box production parts of making music. I find no surprise or disappointment that aren't a shit load of new weird concepts for this stuff. The out of the box ideas I've seen are all show, not nearly as tactile as they pretend to be and are in general not that effective. I think the market has gotten so much better in recent years for USB foot controllers, keyboards, controllers and pad boxes etc. I don't think they need to reinvent the wheel on these ideas they just need to keep evolving the multitasking efficiency.

There is a lot more you can do with two hand tapping on a guitar than putting the gain on a butt rock tone to eleven and shredding out the most complex 'melodic' mixolydian diatonic heptadolphin floggers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ4H0pP8DjE&feature=related

These guys are just one of many bands I've heard recently that are really "hip" that use a shit load of two hand tapping where it just sounds like fast piano playing etc. not butt metal shredding.

if you have any type of drumming skills, just practice several hours a day, with consistent sample setups, and I'm sure you could get as good as this guy(never seen this guy before... so he may be even better than what he does in this video, but I think something like this is pretty doable, with practice)

He has quite a few videos were he pretty much makes himself out to be the most impressive dude with pads besides Araab Muzik. People have had MPC's for so long but I've barely seen anyone compete in competency with those two. I think there is good reason why there are so few that are really that good at finger independence, speed and tightness with pads. It takes a lot of dedication and talent IMHO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVDFM8jYtss&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I8wQmoPqRQ&feature=related

i shot the jeremy ellis maschine mikro video (and the old maschine video he did on the rooftop in LA). i can guarantee you there's not a LICK of trickery in anything you're seeing there. every shot you're seeing is being played exactly as you see it. the dude is phenomenal.

beyond that, maschine is not just a MIDI controller. i'm the farthest thing you'll find from an NI fanboy, but the thing has changed the way i make music. it's FUN AS ALL FUCK.

that is all.

c

no, NI hasn't changed my life, but maschine has absolutely changed the way i make music. fact.

for contrast, i'll never touch their vintage compressors or 'solid mix' nonsense because i'm not going to load guitar rig to get to a compressor plugin. it's just lazy programming, and that's their downfall.

c

Yeah was just joshing you instead of licking your ass because your involved with the industry. AND It just gave me the urge to relive that Pablo Francisco clip. Haven't watched his stand up in a while.

I don't really understand what your complain about NI with the Guitar Rig thing being lazy because the individual software compressors aren't available as a standalone plugin?

well, think of it this way. you're working on a track, and you need to wrangle a particularly dynamic loop or synth sound - whatever it might be.

if i'm going to go for a compressor plugin, i want to grab it quick and be done with it. so i'll go to my UAD plugins and grab one of the channel strips or compressors (which are all pretty excellent, but that's as maybe.)

it's several factors more effort to both think about the fact that i have the NI vintage compressor plugins available, for example (since they won't show up in the plugin list), and to then instantiate guitar rig, then navigate either the quasi-convoluted NI browser, or physically browse to the folder with the vintage compressors in it to load them into guitar rig. on top of that, you've got multiple gain stages going on in guitar rig (input, output, in addition to the actual 'plugin' itself) - which, while it may not be an issue if everything is set to unity, still gives the entire affair this very clunky, unprofessional kind of feel.

wait, what was i doing again?

exactly.

it's like that working with the reaktor-based instruments, too. razor sounds great, but i forget it's there 99% of the time because when i'm working, i don't stop to consider what NI products i might have access to if i take the time to load reaktor and dig around in the instruments.

it would take quite a bit more development to flesh all of these plugins out into viable stand-alone (for lack of a better term) AU or VSTs. hence why i cite it as being lazy. although perhaps it's more a motivation of time and money.

the irony of it being that the perceived value of all of these plugins and instruments would increase quite a bit if they were individual, legitimate plugins. it's a weird, esoteric concept, but i think it's important.

one might argue that loading samples into a sampler is a similar endeavour, but to me that's an entirely different mindset. when i want to use a sampler, it's because of the things i can do to the sound with the sampler. reaktor and guitar rig offer nothing in the above scenarios beyond being a wrapper, essentially.

so dat's what i meaned.

c

Yeah I get you, I guess I totally I can relate to that feeling that oh yeah Reaktor has all these cool instruments in it. When I look at my VST list I too would love to see the individual Reaktor ensembles etc. in there instead of just Reaktor. It's kind of almost as excessive as why I don't Rewire Reason in very much, I wish I could just put a Thor or a combinator in a channel in my DAW instead of having to Rewire in Reason and spend at least 10 minutes setting up how I'm going to talk to this completely separate workspace. I sure as fuck am not going to use Reason by itself.

Guest hahathhat

that jeremy ellis guy is amazing but that video tells me absolutely nothing about the maschine mikro. i imagine he could have done the same exact set on an MPC. so what am i supposed to take away with the vid? Maschine is an MPC replacement? Maschine will make me good at padding?

Archived