IGNORED

i want a good belt drive turntable

MAXIMUS MISCHIEF

basically i want one thats nice quality 'doesnt have to be amazing', but i just have this big stack of old records that i want to start compiling samples from thats been collecting dust, i dont want none of that dj stuff just a basic belt drive and maybe a usb one.

i have an audio interface so i could just plug it into that and it would go right or does it need a mixer for that ? i dont friggin know one time someone told me you NEEDED the mixer for it to make sounds but i dont think that makes much sense. ok thanks

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

:facepalm: Such a simple question, that google has no problem answering for you much much faster (than you would get a response from such an uninteresting question on EKT)

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=belt+drive+usb+turntable&hl=en&prmd=ivns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1360&bih=677&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=2387193501152741687&sa=X&ei=an5wTsKnB86nsAKtkdS1CQ&ved=0CJ0BEPMCMAc

Buy that and enjoy.

Unless you have a great sounding soundcard with a high gain phono input I would much rather say invest in that than some old turntable off craigslist/ebay. That belt USB turn will work great. When you really want to go audiophile with the fidelity just get a good cartridge/stylus for it down the road.

you don't need a mixer, but you will need either a phone stage or an amp with a phono input.

I've got a Rega P2

rega_p2.jpg

The Rega P1 is the entry level model and you can get one second hand for about £100. You can get cheaper second hand ones that will do the job, although be prepared to replace the cartridge and stylus.

• 2 weeks later...

you don't need a mixer, but you will need either a phone stage or an amp with a phono input.

I've got a Rega P2

rega_p2.jpg

The Rega P1 is the entry level model and you can get one second hand for about £100. You can get cheaper second hand ones that will do the job, although be prepared to replace the cartridge and stylus.

Yeah I was gonna recommend one of those or one of Pro-Ject series too - the Debut III to be precise. And yeah you'll need to buy a preamp (well unless you like everything to sound like headphone leakage)

oh ya forgot the diff between belt driven and direct drive. i have a set of technics 1210s that I h4x0r3d to make the pitch from +/- 8% to about +/- 16%. they're at a friends house right now though havent touched them or my record collection in years. i went over there and he had been screwing around with some of my records and had a whole stack of them all leaning to one side i was like wtf ever probably never gunna use them again anyway.

Guest Dogboy73

hmm so i also need an amp. any recommendations ??

Not nescessarrily. A phono stage is what you will need. My Soundcraft Compact 10 mixer has inputs for 2 turntables. I've got another turntable hooked up to a Cambridge Audio amp, but it didn't come with a phono stage. I had to buy one & fit it inside ....... actually I got the guys in Richer Sounds to do it incase I broke it. But it turned out to be easy enough to do. So if you do buy an amp make sure it has a phone stage!

Archived