IGNORED

Dark Souls

Joyrex

I joined the Forest Covenant after killing Sif, specifically so I could get the dark woodgrain ring. It worked, but now they hate me. I'm debating saving up the 100k souls to get absolved, otherwise I gotta deal with those Darkmoon punks constantly invading my game unannounced.

EDIT: Actually, correction, I joined the Forest Hunters, then killed Sif. I did this so the NPC's in the forest wouldn't try to kill me each time I ran back to Sif. I can confirm if you are in the Forest Hunters and kill Sif, they won't hate you. Infact, the Cat asks you to kill Sif if you get to level 5 in the covenant.

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Made good progress this weekend in Demon's Souls (Fry's had Dark Souls for 50 bucks... FUUUUUU... want to play that, but want to finish Demon's first):

Only have the Blue Dragon and the False King left in world 1 - BD bbqed me with his flames so need to get my DEX up so I can use the Flame Shield along with the ring (couldn't find the 'safe spot' you can stand, and Biorr just stood there and took damage - some help)

Got the Storm Sword from the sting ray boss in 4 - that's a badass sword! Beat the Old Hero, etc. the game is getting easier (a bit)

Started journeying into World 5... that's a damn big swamp! Leech King was pathetic. Those big Depraved Ones are a bitch since they can move much faster in the water than you can.

Nice. So which levels do you have left? Finished world 2? Have you played through world 3 yet? That was my favorite atmospherically. The trick with the blue dragon is that you have to time your run past him on the right. As soon as he starts sweeping from right to left, start running. You will not get hit most likely if you time it right. Then you can stand underneath him (actually behind him almost through the hallway) and fire arrows at him until he dies. My advice for 5-2 is to keep your armor off so you can sprint away from enemies more easily. Also lure out all the little guys before taking on a big guy. Then just roll around and dodge the big guy and try to get a few good hits on him, maybe even use enchant weapon beforehand.

Guest AcrossCanyons
Do I have to be in the forest covenant to find/fight Sif?

no. infact you can't touch sif if you're in the covenant unless you want to be kicked out and branded a sinner. he's easy to get to. just go into the heart of the forest and stick to the left all the way, you'll see a large door past some weird passive mushroom enemies, sif is in there.

talking about the forest covenant i joined it yesterday. got summoned 3 times to defend the forest - very cool. first 2 times were against the same high level dude who i had no chance against. he was clearly farming souls/humanity with this method. 3rd time the guy got killed by npcs and i never got to see him.

Man, I wish my internet connection was good enough to play on Live. :( Either my router's settings are whack, or my xbox wireless adapter is just crap, but I get kicked off after about 5 minutes. Good to know about Sif and the forest covenant though, I plan on going with the Dragon Covenant when I can be bothered to attempt to descend the Great Hollow again.

you'll have a hard time ranking up with the dragons since you need dragon scales and they are a bitch to farm (so i hear). you can get them in other ways but you need to pvp :(

Infact, the Cat asks you to kill Sif if you get to level 5 in the covenant.

can you confirm this because i heard it's just a rumor?

I can't atm, I have sinned them, and need to save up about 100k souls for absolvement. I joined them, killed sif, then bought everything off Shiva, killed him, and now they hate me. From my understanding its just dialog, and not a quest reward or anything.

Guest AcrossCanyons

I can't atm, I have sinned them, and need to save up about 100k souls for absolvement. I joined them, killed sif, then bought everything off Shiva, killed him, and now they hate me. From my understanding its just dialog, and not a quest reward or anything.

did you not kill shiva's ninja friend? he has a great ring (not that i plan to kill him)

Thanks man, ill try that out :)

Yeah I know dragon scales will be a bitch, but I'm mostly just joining dragon covenant for the fire breath ability. I'm never human, humanity is too much of a bother to farm... so I don't care for invasions really.

Beat Demon's Souls last night - now to go through New Game+ and get the remaining items for the trophies and that elusive Platinum.

Wow, grats, and GL.

I made it thru once, messed around a bit, and that was enough for me. I know only one person in RL who platnium'd that game.

Guest AcrossCanyons

Yeah, I had to restart Dark Souls, I wasted like two Fire Keeper Souls and I also messed up the storyline by accident in the beginning.

how?

Yeah, I had to restart Dark Souls, I wasted like two Fire Keeper Souls and I also messed up the storyline by accident in the beginning.

how?

I accidentally used two Fire Keeper Souls instead of using them to reinforce my flask. I also killed that Pyromancy NPC by complete accident, that really pissed me off.

Guest AcrossCanyons

oh right. that npc has some cool spells but he isn't very important. there are more pyromancy teachers in the game. depending on what you do he may turn hollow anyway.

Yeah, I had to restart Dark Souls, I wastedo like two Fire Keeper Souls and I also messed up the storyline by accident in the beginning.

how?

I accidentally used two Fire Keeper Souls instead of using them to reinforce my flask. I also killed that Pyromancy NPC by complete accident, that really pissed me off.

I accidentally killed quelaana of izalith, out of reflex. She was just around the corner in blighttown where no one had been before, and I rammed my +5 lightning spear through her skull. :(

Been stuck on orenstein and smough for two days now. Went back and killed ceaseless discharge and the black hydra, then joined dragon covenant. Fuck the great hollow.

Been stuck on orenstein and smough for two days now.

Just got to them tonight, what a bunch of cunts. Easily gave me more problems then any boss battle thus far. Its all well and dandy until Smough breaks my endurance bar and orenstein rushes in with his fag attacks.

Gonna give it another shot this weekend when I find some time.

Yeah, I had to restart Dark Souls, I wastedo like two Fire Keeper Souls and I also messed up the storyline by accident in the beginning.

how?

Been stuck on orenstein and smough for two days now.

Kill orenstein first, use the lightning spear. A lot of range on that weapon which means you can attack quickly from far away, and then you can dodge roll after attacking. Not to mention Orenstein will stagger if you hit him enough. When you kill him, make sure Smough attacks the broken pillars. That means he won't able to hit you, if you fight him enough his one on one attacks become very predictable, and with that spear you can poke, poke, and run. When he jumps in the air and smashes the ground, make sure you dodge roll right after he makes contact with the ground so that you avoid the lighting all over the ground. As soon as you enter the fog door, aim on Orenstein and focus on him. When he attacks you try to barely back up to the point where the tip of his sword barely misses you, this leaves him open with pokes with that spear. Dodge roll the hell out of everything Smough does during.

That's been my basic strategy. Lighting Winged Spear +5 and Grass Crest Shield. I tried out the Crystal Ring Shield and managed to kill Orenstein with it in a few hits... then I missed a roll halfway through my fight with Smough :wtf:

Finally got past Orenstein and Smough in Dark Souls... cheesed the fight by using iron flesh. Tanked them both, used two flasks the whole time. Now I'm trying to decide which place to go to next... Duke's Archives, or Demon's Ruins...

Finally got past Orenstein and Smough in Dark Souls... cheesed the fight by using iron flesh. Tanked them both, used two flasks the whole time. Now I'm trying to decide which place to go to next... Duke's Archives, or Demon's Ruins...

Either is terrible. Good lord this game..

Me too. I didn't use iron flesh, but I used a cross bow. Felt so cheesy :)

Right now I'm doing Catacombs/Tomb of Giants.

Me too. I didn't use iron flesh, but I used a cross bow. Felt so cheesy :)

Right now I'm doing Catacombs/Tomb of Giants.

Haha it's kinda fun to cheese it though, it's like giving the game the finger and telling the enemies to piss off. :emotawesomepm9:

Ground up enough souls to finish upgrading my pyro flame, only to remember that I accidentally killed the lady in the swamp that does it :( so instead I went through painted world, followed by the great hollow and killed the hydra in ash lake, then joined dragon covenant to get the dragon head, then I left and joined Chaos servants to get access to their uber-pyromancy. Now I'm headed towards demon's Ruins/ Lost Izalith to get a sunlight maggot so I can get the witches ring and actually talk with the chaos witch... I enjoy the npcs in this game.

I found that I actually like several characters in this game, too. I get sad when the pyro npc in firelink calls me friend and tells me to have a safe journey, and I couldn't bring myself to touch Priscilla even though I want her scythe/soul... few games do that to me.

Haha it's kinda fun to cheese it though, it's like giving the game the finger and telling the enemies to piss off. :emotawesomepm9:

Ground up enough souls to finish upgrading my pyro flame, only to remember that I accidentally killed the lady in the swamp that does it :( so instead I went through painted world, followed by the great hollow and killed the hydra in ash lake, then joined dragon covenant to get the dragon head, then I left and joined Chaos servants to get access to their uber-pyromancy. Now I'm headed towards demon's Ruins/ Lost Izalith to get a sunlight maggot so I can get the witches ring and actually talk with the chaos witch... I enjoy the npcs in this game.

I found that I actually like several characters in this game, too. I get sad when the pyro npc in firelink calls me friend and tells me to have a safe journey, and I couldn't bring myself to touch Priscilla even though I want her scythe/soul... few games do that to me.

True enough, in DsS you had to cheese bosses very often, I don't really look at this game any differently. Its tough to say how the developers intended us to defeat the bosses. I've seen people call summoning phantoms cheap, yet they put a soul stone infront of O&S's gray fog wall. Until they patch it so you can't do something I am going to assume its ok. On a side note, From Software is putting out a patch soon and so far the only things they appear to be addressing are related to PVP (ring of fog and tranquil walk of peace), except for parameter modified weapons will be getting a boast.

I think your path sounds right, I completely forgot about the painted world as I skipped it the first time I saw the painting. I went to Demon Ruins first after O&S and got destroyed by basically everything. I even got eggheaded and had to find a cure.

Catacombs was much easier because I had a +5 divine scythe, but now that I'm about a mile down into the earth, I wish I addressed this area later. You are smart in getting that helmet, as whenever I find my way in the dark to the lantern, I'm going to have to give up on my precious shield until I get to Nito. So far I can't even make it to the first bonfire because Tomb of Giants has way too many places you can fall and huge skeletons that gang up on you with archers using magic arrows. Its a nightmare. I'd lordvessel my way out of here, but I really don't want to walk through catacombs all over again.

Archived