IGNORED

!!!! Read before starting a new thread !!!!

Squee

The YLC is starting to look like a fucking wasteland, guys.
There are so many threads being created all the time and so many of these threads never get any replies. It's wonderful that so many people want to share their creations but it would be even more wonderful if you guys would consider the following before posting:

- Are you not getting any replies? Well, before posting a new thread you should maybe comment on some other people's music. Rule of thumb, comment on at least 10 tracks before posting your own. Have you done this? No? Well, get going, buddy. There are +300 pages of music in the YLC.

- Is your feedback/comments worth reading? Are you giving sound advice (no pun intended)? Are most of your comments one or two word posts along the lines of "safe!" or "digging it"? If yes, then please do yourself and everyone else a huge favour and elaborate on this. It shouldn't be so hard to explain why you like something or why you don't or why you would have done something differently. And be nice about it.

- Don't be a little bitch

- If you can't stand getting criticism then don't post your stuff. Quite simple.

- Is your track worth posting? Are you happy with your track? Fantastic! Let us hear it!

You give some, you get some.

• Like 1

Thanks for this, Squee. I hope we can get it back to how it was not even too long ago but it seems a lot of people are signing up just to post their stuff (without giving anything in return). I try to listen to as much as I can.

Random ideas for how to make YLC work better (not sure if they can/should be done just throwing them out there)

-only allow members with at least X posts make topics to avoid people joining just to spam

-limit number of topics each user can make to 1 (not sure about this one, would reduce clutter a ton but sometimes a fresh start is good)

-block obvious spamtrolls like that guy a few months back who just wrote "cool" on dozens of things in the space of a few minutes then made his own threads where he bragged about being way better than Aphex Twin

maybe you don't need to limit existing contributors but future ones will have to be moderator approved (before they start a thread). i dunno sounds complicated but it's a thought

and durv, please go away

Edited by sergeantk

Random ideas for how to make YLC work better (not sure if they can/should be done just throwing them out there)

-only allow members with at least X posts make topics to avoid people joining just to spam

-limit number of topics each user can make to 1 (not sure about this one, would reduce clutter a ton but sometimes a fresh start is good)

-block obvious spamtrolls like that guy a few months back who just wrote "cool" on dozens of things in the space of a few minutes then made his own threads where he bragged about being way better than Aphex Twin

I've asked Joyrex about these exact things before, and it seems like there is a Karma system you can implement, but I don't wanna make a big fuss about it. I just want to see this place grow and be useful for newcomers and existing users, but it will only be useful if people actually do their part in this eco-YLC-system.

maybe you don't need to limit existing contributors but future ones will have to be moderator approved (before they start a thread). i dunno sounds complicated but it's a thought

Yeah, I don't want to have to check each topic that gets created. But this actually gave me an idea... brb

breasts

Fuck off.

/banned

I'm not an EKTer (yet) but I approve of this movement. Squee is good moderate.

:)

what if the topics did not get sorted by latest reply but by latest topic created instead. so people will not be able to spam their topics to the top all the time and everyone gets the same amount of exposure even if they are new

Guest kokeboka

I'm not an EKTer (yet) but I approve of this movement. Squee is good moderate.

Seconded, in regards to both the thread and Squee. It'll be good to have YLC running with new rules and new policy, it has the potential to be a lot more than what it is right now.

At various points I've tried to make a commitment to listening to & making some semi-substantial comment on at least three things in EKT & at least three things on my SC feed each day, been slack lately but maybe now I'll get back indah game

Edited by Cryptowen

Guest Frankie5fingers

this might be a little radical but is there a way that no one could make a thread for YLC? and when someone first signsup they instantly get there own single thread, and thats it? along with no most recently updated threads being shot to the top. just have everything in alphabetical order. that way you don't have to approve anyone and bumping will no longer work.

i realize that this would almost be impossible for newcomers to gain any following but i thought maybe you could at least pull an idea out of this.

or maybe, even better! why not have a limit on every account so that everyone can only start 1 topic in YLC. so basicly they are forced to put all their music in one thread. you wont get anymore of those topics with one post in em and then the person starting up another empty topic and then another and so on.

and you could be a little more strict on the bumping policy here too. i always see nobodys coming in here with a song and then bump their thread like 5 times till someone replies. *cough cough*...Durv...*cough cough*

and maybe make someone a mod that only inspects the YLC and no other sections of the site. that way you and the others could be freed up from here. (maybe give a little insentive to have someone volunter for the postition. like they get their own YLC topic that always stays at the top of the list)

well here is my imput. and good luck to you Squee. hope this all works out for ya.

One thread per user seems like a pretty good idea. Having everything in alphabetical order, not so much. As you said, it would be hard as hell for some people to get noticed, like, if your artist name starts with an X or something like that. There already is multiple sorting options, so let's just leave it at that.

Guest Frankie5fingers

One thread per user seems like a pretty good idea. Having everything in alphabetical order, not so much. As you said, it would be hard as hell for some people to get noticed, like, if your artist name starts with an X or something like that. There already is multiple sorting options, so let's just leave it at that.

yeah i didn't think it was that great of an idea to begin with. but i figured squee could maybe pull something useful out of it. so i left it in there.

I've thought about it before, and that's why Joyrex started the blogs (as far as I remember... I could be wrong though) but I agree with Friendly Foil. It WOULD be hard for newcomers to generate attention.

As of now, I think I'll just keep an extra eye on the YLC and make sure no one spams their music left and right without having commented on other people's music, but if you guys have any bright ideas then feel free to share them.

I think I'll be doing what e.g. Friendly Foil does - storing all my tracks, wips etc. in one thread. Whoever is interested will be visiting my thread for time to time and I won't occupy too much space on the forum. Simple, yet good idea.

I encourage you to do the same to keep the first page clean.

I think another possible option could just be to keep different projects in different threads, just so you get SOME variety for each artist, if this makes any senese. Of course I am all on board with cutting back thread creation but maybe this is a fair compromise to either of the extremes. Balance is good no? (if this is still too much, then no whining hear, everyone deserves a chance)

It's sort of a case by case thing. If you're the kind of person who's putting out new demos several times a week then you should probably keep it all in one thread for a while. If you only put out like one thing a year it's probably no big to create a new topic for it