IGNORED

New Silent Hill Movie

gmanyo

Guest Frankie5fingers

the context of all the characters didn't really matter to me probably because i never played any of the games, i took it all at face value and found it a pretty gnarly movie overall. It's not often even in an R rated horror flick we get to see a ginger girl picked up off the ground by a giant, stripped naked and then have her skin torn off like a rag doll. It was sort of hot/horrifying in a Hellraiser 2 sort of way which i admit i appreciated greatly.

and that's my whole point; you are missing the lore and ethos which made the original storyline and universe so compelling. its condensed into an easily digestible movie narrative for the sake of exploitation. Yeah, its enjoyable, but knowing its origins and how it failed to deliver on any meaningful level is incredibly frustrating.

"Oh, all those cool monsters? Yeah, they just live here. They look cool though, right?"

im with smetty on this one.

Actually, my problem was that the movie seemed fascinated with novelty and gimmicks. It was more concerned with the idea of a cool monster doing something cool and freaky than it was actually letting the horror sink in. So what you got were a bunch of loosely connected "cool" scenes with not much to really hold them together. All the horror felt so forced, and it wasn't scary.

you've got a point there. maybe i just really liked it cause all these new horror movies that it was up against were total shit. im not really saying this movie is a masterpiece or anything. a solid 6/10 for me. i agree that the story was hard to follow. ive played SH's 1-4 and some multiple times. and i had no idea at all what was really going on or how the movie had anything to do with the games. and now looking back at what Smetti and I have said i have a feeling maybe this one might not be as good. the things that Heather sees was the WHOLE point to the story in 3. and if they mess that up then this movie will be bad.

I think it's pretty hard to pull off the feel of the games because a film needs a certain pacing and narrative flow to keep the audience's attention. It can't just be an overhead shot of a character exploring a mangled wasteland for 2 hours. That said, the could have easily done a better job on the first movie.

Squee: I thought the first Silent Hill movie was good. It fell apart a bit at the end, and the directing was only adequate. But it had some stuff in it I really liked. One of which was the depressing, claustrophobic ending.

big disclaimer: I'm evaluating it as a standalone, as I have never played any of the games

Same here. I enjoyed the movie, I could never play the game.

• 3 months later...

I did. I liked the first one better, the second one seemed like a stammering excuse: "Uh-buh, duh, here-you-go..."

With the first movie, the story had an active character the audience could relate to and stay invested in the story. In this installation, the only relatable character gets kidnapped right off the bat, and gets tied up, effectively turning him into a boob. All the other characters are from Silent Hill themselves, making them cathartically unavailable.

4/10

Alice Krige is an awesome actor/actress, that I cannot deny. She did her best with the first film (once again, not a horrible movie, but pretty disappointing from a longtime fan perspective)

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Smettingham Rutherford IV" data-cid="1927270" data-time="1357497137"><p>

Alice Krige is an awesome actor/actress, that I cannot deny. She did her best with the first film (once again, not a horrible movie, but pretty disappointing from a longtime fan perspective)</p></blockquote>

Even without her usual seductress typecast, she freaked me out. She's so damn SINCERE, it's eerie...

Archived