IGNORED

New Silent Hill Movie

gmanyo

Silent Hill: Revelation, based on Silent Hill 3. It looks like shit. They've tied in some dumb fucking love interest, and apparently changed Heather's character completely. I can honestly say that I'm glad they skipped the best game to try and hit a wider target audience because I know that they'd fuck that one up, too. They know that all the Silent Hill game fans will go see it just because it's called "Silent Hill", so all they're concerned with is trying to appeal to a wider audience.

Hollywood really likes to ruin good things.

As a side note, I love how you have to watch an ad to watch an ad.

1. Wrong subforum.

2. This looks like fucking nonsense.

3. How does Silent Hill look worse than in the first movie? They nailed the town perfectly there (shame the rest of the film was gash)

4. I'll see it anyway. lol

Guest Frankie5fingers

i don't know, it still has Akira doing the soundtrack. so thats a good sign. and the first one i thought was very well done. probably one of the few good video game to movie concepts. so im gonna reserve judgment on this one and see it anyways.

at first i was like wtf this looks a bit too campy for michelle williams and then i realized it was just some random actress who looks fucking exactly like her.

Squee: I thought the first Silent Hill movie was good. It fell apart a bit at the end, and the directing was only adequate. But it had some stuff in it I really liked. One of which was the depressing, claustrophobic ending.

big disclaimer: I'm evaluating it as a standalone, as I have never played any of the games

I don't get people saying the movie(s) butcher the story of the games, when the games had horrible wooden acting and dialogue in them. The interesting things were the lore and the atmosphere, which I feel the first one got right enough to deem it the only successful video game movie. I'll reserve judgement on this one till I see it, but I'm definitely excited to see it (in 2d).

I don't get people saying the movie(s) butcher the story of the games, when the games had horrible wooden acting and dialogue in them. The interesting things were the lore and the atmosphere, which I feel the first one got right enough to deem it the only successful video game movie. I'll reserve judgement on this one till I see it, but I'm definitely excited to see it (in 2d).

Yes, and the first movie was nowhere near the heights that the video game brought to us. Sometimes that shit just doesn't translate well onto the big screen.

I have unrealistically high expectations for anything based off of the SH stuff anyway because that whole concept in its many different nuances was something special...now its just another teen horror flick.

PS-Pyramid Head did not make any sense in the first Silent HIll movie, it was purely a means of cashing off of the character's popularity, rather than explain the ethos behind such a curious and disturbing manifestation. Extrapolate the PH problem and thus you have a weak movie compared to the SH trilogy (i dont count anything after 3).

Guest Frankie5fingers

yeah that song is amazing.

and i do agree that the first movie was a mash up. i liked it and it did have its high and low moments but overall it was a pretty good movie. like others have said, what made Silent Hill so scary was the atmosphere and twisted lore, not so much the characters. and i felt that the first movie did a pretty good job at recreating that. in fact, when watching that movie i did have the same feeling as i get when playing the games (which by the way, only a few horror movies have ever made me feel so uneasy like that) yeah, they arn't following "exactly" to the fine print of the games, but who can blame them. thats how movies work. there has never been a movie that was an exact representation of whatever medium it came from. there is always something you can pick out and say "thats not how it happened in the _____." the Pyramid Head thing is actually the only part that upset me about the first one and now 2 it appears. since Pyramid Head was a creature that James created, if im not mistaken. so there really is no justification for him being in either of the movies. it would have been better if they made the movies as separate story lines that connected to the games in some creepy weird way, like the games did to each other. but it seems that they just want to make a linear story for the movies. which i cant really get mad at em because that kinda gets hard to wrap youre head around. and most people don't want to deal with that. i mean, this is a psychological mindfuck of a story that is being released in an entertainment era where everyone just wants to see gore. so if they didn't have the giant (Pyramid Head) that slashes people to bits and rips off their skin while still alive then not as many people would want to go see it.

so long as they didnt change the reason behind way Heather sees what she does (HUGE part to the game) then i have a feeling that i am going to enjoy this movie at least as much as i did the first.

I think the first movie did a terrible job capturing the Silent Hill mood AND as a standalone movie. It was just, like someone else said, a teen horror flick.

People that make horror movies need to realize that monsters/guys with axes or whatever aren't scary. Isolation, loss of loved ones, rejection, guilt, and death are scary. Guys with axes are only scary because they can kill you. About the only thing I can give stupid teen horror flicks is that pain is actually pretty frightening in it of itself. Silent Hill was scary because you felt so alone. The movie did a terrible job at this.

Also, the concepts behind the Silent Hill characters and the story were great (in 2 at least), it was just poor execution because of awkward writing and terrible voice acting.

how was the first silent hill movie like a teen horror film? I'm not necessarily defending it as a great film, but it least there was a lot of creative imagery at play. For having so much CG it actually managed to look scary. I'd take the atmosphere and aesthetics of the Silent Hill movie over the average teenage slasher flick any day.

Guest Frankie5fingers

how was the first silent hill movie like a teen horror film? I'm not necessarily defending it as a great film, but it least there was a lot of creative imagery at play. For having so much CG it actually managed to look scary. I'd take the atmosphere and aesthetics of the Silent Hill movie over the average teenage slasher flick any day.

i gotta agree with this. Silent Hill was no Teen horror flick. it really didnt have any slasher flick moments in it at all. all of it was visual and story. not monsters chasing the girl around. there were moments with monsters in em but they only lasted for like 5 minutes at most.

Actually, my problem was that the movie seemed fascinated with novelty and gimmicks. It was more concerned with the idea of a cool monster doing something cool and freaky than it was actually letting the horror sink in. So what you got were a bunch of loosely connected "cool" scenes with not much to really hold them together. All the horror felt so forced, and it wasn't scary.

not arguing that there was cool imagery, i was actually pretty damn impressed with the nurses and the PH design, but horror flicks can have pretty neat imagery and still ultimately end up a weak movie.

(PS. barbed wire revenge at the end was beyond retarded)

and again, though PH looked impressive, he had no place in the movie....and I know people will defend it by saying that Im being way too nitpicky, but, sorry, umm....no. Silent HIll's creatures were individualized manifestations of either Alyssa's fears/anger or of the main character/visitor (i.e. Pyramid Head was James's manifestation). You fuck that up and you fuck up the whole magic behind the Silent Hill ethos.

It reeks of laziness when you have an incredible creative setting to work with....you could create a seemingly infinite number of unique creatures based off of the characters involved and the characterization of those characters as the movie trods along. Instead the director went for the easy cash route and rounded up all the familiar faces of the Silent Hill bestiary.

the context of all the characters didn't really matter to me probably because i never played any of the games, i took it all at face value and found it a pretty gnarly movie overall. It's not often even in an R rated horror flick we get to see a ginger girl picked up off the ground by a giant, stripped naked and then have her skin torn off like a rag doll. It was sort of hot/horrifying in a Hellraiser 2 sort of way which i admit i appreciated greatly.

the context of all the characters didn't really matter to me probably because i never played any of the games, i took it all at face value and found it a pretty gnarly movie overall. It's not often even in an R rated horror flick we get to see a ginger girl picked up off the ground by a giant, stripped naked and then have her skin torn off like a rag doll. It was sort of hot/horrifying in a Hellraiser 2 sort of way which i admit i appreciated greatly.

and that's my whole point; you are missing the lore and ethos which made the original storyline and universe so compelling. its condensed into an easily digestible movie narrative for the sake of exploitation. Yeah, its enjoyable, but knowing its origins and how it failed to deliver on any meaningful level is incredibly frustrating.

"Oh, all those cool monsters? Yeah, they just live here. They look cool though, right?"

Silent Hill 2 didn't have much lore. I didn't expect the movie to be like Silent Hill in plot; I honestly didn't care if it was. If that movie had been Jacob's Ladder but with the names switched to Silent Hill names I would've been happy. I just thought that it was a shit movie regardless of its relation to the game.

Archived