IGNORED

'Global Warming's Terrifying New Math'

autopilot

20 hours ago, iococoi said:

34551b0e35251527.jpeg

does not accurately capture it at all. the difference between 2 and 3 is the difference between all world powers acting perfectly starting now and continually for decades (impossible hypothetical), versus a more realistic best case scenario. the difference between 3 and 4 is the difference between the best case scenario and what could happen if world powers remain oil-influenced for decades through the century. the difference between 4 and 5 is between that and if we're just overall bad at even trying and just resign to push the thing off the cliff, buying bullshit about geo engineering that will of course not reverse anything but rather further the destabilization. the difference between 5 and 6 is much of the same but at that point it doesn't make much difference because somewhere around 4 may be where the strain on societal stability is so bad that it seems like there's a high risk of broader wars that could result in a nuclear armaggeddon. 

funny thing about the "x degree" threshold is it takes... 2 decades of average temperature past that threshold! we already had a full year of average 1.5c hotter. by the time we're officially at 1.5 degrees it will be more than 2 degrees. by the time it's 2 degrees it will be 3 degrees. great. who came up with that? someone fix that.

3 hours ago, may be rude said:

does not accurately capture it at all.

it's a conceptual thing meant to create emotion in people and a sense of fear/urgency. no one is pulling up this hand/table saw art at a climate conference to explain science/geo politics/human predicament. 

that being said.. a number of climate scientists are arguing that 2 degrees would a line up by the shoulder taking off the entire arm. basically saying 2 degrees will be catastrophic for a large number of people and larger number of wildlife

edit:

Shorter videos on specific people/places

Edited by ignatius

On 4/22/2024 at 10:09 PM, ignatius said:
On 4/22/2024 at 10:00 PM, may be rude said:

does not accurately capture it at all.

it's a conceptual thing meant to create emotion in people and a sense of fear/urgency. no one is pulling up this hand/table saw art at a climate conference to explain science/geo politics/human predicament. 

it misinforms though, it doesn't accurately convey the urgency and risk. the real harm is way, way worse. that graphic is something the fossil fuel companies would put out to confuse people and delay action. 

4+ is where we're heading. at 4, avoiding nuclear armaggeddon will be tough. past 4 is basically russian roulette with 5 bullets. people fail to connect the nuclear armaggeddon component. we cannot afford for world governments to descend into chaos and broader war. 

Edited by may be rude

3 hours ago, may be rude said:

it misinforms though, it doesn't accurately convey the urgency and risk. the real harm is way, way worse. that graphic is something the fossil fuel companies would put out to confuse people and delay action. 

3 or 4 is where we're heading and avoiding nuclear armaggeddon will be tough. past 4 is basically russian roulette with 5 bullets. people fail to connect the nuclear armaggeddon component. we cannot afford for world governments to descend into chaos and broader war. 

then make a new one

edit: they should've made it w/cock and balls. 

Edited by ignatius
  • Haha 1

the nuts and bolts of all the things. 

big picture stuff about human beings as a "super organism" and all that nate hagens type stuff. well done documentary focusing a lot on perspective and shifting that to something based in reality of the human predicament. 

edit:

Edited by ignatius

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, ignatius said:

heat dome in mexico 😞

Mexican here... Yes, I've never experienced a heat this magnitude before... Total apocalypse...

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, logakght said:

Mexican here... Yes, I've never experienced a heat this magnitude before... Total apocalypse...

i know about the water situation. apparently even cops protested.  i know it gets jungle hot in mexico but the heat dome must be awful. we had one here years ago and it sucked. had forest fires at the same time that got close enough to smoke out the whole valley. had my windows and doors taped up. couldn't go outside w/o great risk. 

talked to my mom who's in south florida and she said w/the heat index it's 112 degrees. key west hit 115 w/the heat index. 

monkeys falling out of trees from heat/thirst is big sads. i hope you all get some good rains down there soon. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ignatius said:

i know about the water situation. apparently even cops protested.  i know it gets jungle hot in mexico but the heat dome must be awful. we had one here years ago and it sucked. had forest fires at the same time that got close enough to smoke out the whole valley. had my windows and doors taped up. couldn't go outside w/o great risk. 

talked to my mom who's in south florida and she said w/the heat index it's 112 degrees. key west hit 115 w/the heat index. 

monkeys falling out of trees from heat/thirst is big sads. i hope you all get some good rains down there soon. 

thanks my friend, hope you're good too