IGNORED

DDT still being used wtf bbq

lumpenprol

So I've been thinking of moving out to my wife's family's place in the countryside, once my baby is born. Figured it would be a great place to raise a kid, clean water, nature, etc.

Last night I was talking to my wife and I figured I'd ask "I know your dad sprays his rice with pesticide, do you know what he uses?" I figured this being China, he might use some nasty shit. So she calls her mom and asks.

"Oh, it's just something called DDT"

lol. sigh. Fucking corporations, I swear. Banned in US, but happy to sell overseas.

Scary shit. I know that kind of thing is a far greater concern overseas, but parts of the U.S. can fall victim to such corporate (and corrupt government) decisions. I've been keeping an eye on fracking: I know it's improved in terms of quality control but the calls for expanding it and oil drilling baffle me. Fuck the "drill baby drill" nonsense, I will gladly stave up "economic benefits" in my local economy (most of which are exaggerated benefits) if it means my family and friends don't have to worry about their drinking water.

Anyway - DDT is not banned in most countries though it's supposed to be used within international regulations. The way its being used by your relatives sounds illegal - it's supposed to be used for vector control only. There are Americans (conservative pundits mostly) who still cite it's ban here as having a negative effect in combating malaria and other high casualty rate airborne diseases in the 70s, because it curtailed DDT usage in areas afflicted with malaria for a few years overseas. They of course, leave out the fact that DDT was banned as soon as it was determined that it was going to make the bald eagle extinct. That was partially true decades ago, it's a irrelevant argument. DDT is obsolete compared to other pesticide treatments. It's just cheaper; hence it's use in places like China.

Do you know any pesticides/insecticides that are as effective as DDT, but safer? I've been trying to do some online research, haven't found anything yet, really. I know about pyrethrins but am not sure if they are that effective, or if they work on crops...

interesting point xxx. reminds me of what i heard once thatlarge corporates get carbon tax credits for lowering their pollution emissions that appear on the books, but all they do is export their emissions to places which keep no books on such things. lol

I'm sure there are alternatives, not sure they'll be cheaper.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_pesticide

Also America uses a lot of ingredients that are banned in the EU/Russia/Asia.

http://www.divinecaroline.com/22175/94738-seven-food-products-banned-europe

i always wonder this when I walk through china town. More often than not old men and women have this horrible pockmarked skin with tons of unhealthy nards and moles. Might it have something to do with years of eating toxin-loaded food coming from china? Or do chinese people just, to quote sir karl pilkington, "don't age well. like a pear overnight."

Guest Franklin

that's suck lump.

maybe you can turn this into profit though... start importing better/less harmful stuff and sell to the farmers with a marketing campaign on why DDT is so bad?

"Anyway - DDT is not banned in most countries though it's supposed to be used within international regulations. The way its being used by your relatives sounds illegal - it's supposed to be used for vector control only."

yep*

Something like 175+ countries have joined the Stockholm Convention as parties at this point, and China's definitely among them... (China joined back in 2004). Use of DDT as a crop pesticide in that country is illegal afaik. I dunno if you (@lumpy) just want to bring this to the attention of your in-laws or what, but it's certainly best that they stop using it. Legal issues aside, he's gonna fuck up his land and his family if he doesn't stop anyway.

*wait - is not banned? It is banned, with a few exemptions, vector control and "production as an intermediate to dicofol and other compounds." 1 Other than that, banned.

Archived