IGNORED

I Became My Sister

Cheeez

Guest waveformblue

It wanders between some sort of techno-chillout and a Bassnectar type Dubstep. I like how the schizophrenia of the song reflects the title. Was that intentional ?

That electro-didgeridoo lead is cool. Props if you built that patch.

What I don't like...

- The tappity-tap is a bit too loud in the mix. Bring it down a notch or two.

- The rhythm sounds a bit...awkward. Perhaps you could land more of the hits on eighth notes.

- Distortion...yuck. I know it's deliberate, and I know it's trendy, but it must stop. If I wanted bass to sound like that I'd stick a screwdriver through my woofers.

It wanders between some sort of techno-chillout and a Bassnectar type Dubstep. I like how the schizophrenia of the song reflects the title. Was that intentional ?

That electro-didgeridoo lead is cool. Props if you built that patch.

What I don't like...

- The tappity-tap is a bit too loud in the mix. Bring it down a notch or two.

- The rhythm sounds a bit...awkward. Perhaps you could land more of the hits on eighth notes.

- Distortion...yuck. I know it's deliberate, and I know it's trendy, but it must stop. If I wanted bass to sound like that I'd stick a screwdriver through my woofers.

Fair point about the distortion. I normally make quite delicate ambient music so wanted to give the other direction a go.

Cheers for the feedback! All useful.

I have to say I disagree with waveformblue; I'm down with the trend. Maybe distort a bit less and muffle it a bit somehow, make it sound a bit distant but a bit less distorted instead of just straight up distortion. Maybe add in some pink noise, maybe even modulate some sidechain compression using some pink or red noise as the sidechained track, get more of an Actress-ey feel.

The sample seemed a bit silly at first, but by the end of the song I liked it. Love the airy synths in the middle around 1 minute.

Nice track! I like the distortion on the bass, also the pads at about one and two minutes in. Brings good contrast.

I like the reverb space you built with that vocal. That bass is nice, I almost wish you wouldn't go crazy on that distrotion it kinda brings me out. I would re-EQ it to give the distortion a sense of space sharing the room that the other sounds are in. All in all though I like this track a lot, you've got a lot of interesting ideas... and also a new follower on soundcloud :biggrin:

I have to say I disagree with waveformblue; I'm down with the trend. Maybe distort a bit less and muffle it a bit somehow, make it sound a bit distant but a bit less distorted instead of just straight up distortion. Maybe add in some pink noise, maybe even modulate some sidechain compression using some pink or red noise as the sidechained track, get more of an Actress-ey feel.

The sample seemed a bit silly at first, but by the end of the song I liked it. Love the airy synths in the middle around 1 minute.

Interesting techniques I wouldn't have thought of, will try in future. Thanks! The sample was one of those happy accidents.

Nice track! I like the distortion on the bass, also the pads at about one and two minutes in. Brings good contrast.

Cheers!

I like the reverb space you built with that vocal. That bass is nice, I almost wish you wouldn't go crazy on that distrotion it kinda brings me out. I would re-EQ it to give the distortion a sense of space sharing the room that the other sounds are in. All in all though I like this track a lot, you've got a lot of interesting ideas... and also a new follower on soundcloud :biggrin:

I have a lot to learn about EQ. Thank you!

I like that track ! I don't have a problem with the distortion, which I found quite dynamic (the harmonic content it brings is really cool ; may I ask what you used for it ?). I like the drums, though I find this resonant percussive noise standing as a snare a little bit too rough (I like the direction you took for that sound but think it would be more interesting if it was more complex - maybe evolving through the time or something like that). The other snare coming later is awesome though. I like the rhythm in general, I find the pads coming in the middle and at the end of the song very good.

I'm not a big fan of the voice sample except when you develop it at the end. But I'm generally not so fond of this kind of sample, and in the other hand it definitely brings to the atmosphere of the song.

Overall I found the track very good and I encourage you to push forward into this direction !

I really like the skittering, awkward HH, and the vocal sample is really cool. Good job.

yeah this is a cool track mate. Distortion on the bass, maybe cut it back a tiny bit. that sample is awesome by the way. great job!

Thanks!

I like that track ! I don't have a problem with the distortion, which I found quite dynamic (the harmonic content it brings is really cool ; may I ask what you used for it ?).

The interesting harmonics probably come from it being put through a chorus before going to the distortion, gives it a different vibe at least! Thank you for the comments, i'll definitely see where this direction takes me for future tracks.

I like that track ! I don't have a problem with the distortion, which I found quite dynamic (the harmonic content it brings is really cool ; may I ask what you used for it ?).

The interesting harmonics probably come from it being put through a chorus before going to the distortion, gives it a different vibe at least! Thank you for the comments, i'll definitely see where this direction takes me for future tracks.

Aaah good tip, I don't think I never thought about that, I'll give it a try ;-)

vocal sample is nice like everybody else said, reminds me of the 90's. Whoa, nice pads when the distortion stops, pretty lush. Reminds me of Pearl's Girl if it were sampled up and down. I don't like the distorted bits so much, maybe they could work if they didn't sound so clean/dry compared to the other stuff? Maybe if the input gain was a decibel or two less. But yeah this definitely gets across a certain feel. Has that aphex feel where I'm not really THINKING 'nice hihat' etc it all just meshes together

• 3 weeks later...

Archived