IGNORED

WarpRecords YT channel - Exai

zlemflolia

Did that with Iradelphic and the new Jamie Lidell too. Nothing to do with business being slow or anything. This is 2013, a lot of people look for new music on sites like youtube, so it makes perfect sense to put up the albums on there.

so you're saying that if Exai was flying off the shelves and they couldnt stock it fast enough, they still would have put up all the songs in full resolution for everyone to hear?

Indeed. What ff says. And it isn't uncommon too. More companies are doing that (you can search for most celebrities). There are two big wins:

Give people an opportunity to hear these tracks ( with the possibility of going viral - which is marketing mekka)

And second, it enables them getting to know the people who listen those those tracks. Don't forget there's a huge amount of data and surf-statistics involved behind youtube ( marketing mekka#2).

You don't think exai sells less copies because it's up on youtube, do you?

Guest theSun

this is pretty much the point being argued by big record companies innit

that argument is wrong, as has been proven many times

Great. Now they should get rid of Merlin. Why didn't they monetize

fan made video instead of just removing it? As a rights holder, you can monetize videos containing your material and you can even look into the analytics of those videos afaik. Fan made videos are great, free promotional material which you can now even profit from. Why remove them if you're going to put those tracks up for free streaming anyway?

Did that with Iradelphic and the new Jamie Lidell too. Nothing to do with business being slow or anything. This is 2013, a lot of people look for new music on sites like youtube, so it makes perfect sense to put up the albums on there.

Absolutely right - I've read recently where a high percentage of people find music via YT - for record labels, and artists as well, to survive, they need to embrace the way people are doing things, and more importantly, monetize it for both the artist and the labels' benefit.

Guest pixelives

I look on youtube for tracks ALL the time. But it's usually for rare or out of print stuff, to decide if I want to discogs purchase.

I think it would be ridiculous for labels not to put their stuff up there these days..

No, record companies don't like it when other people upload 'their' music. And if you didn't leave out the other text, you could have known why.

Guest theSun

thanks for telling me the advantages of putting videos on youtube. my post was an apparently badly executed attempt at irony, as no record company would have put up full tracks for free 10 years ago. now they have realized they actually can make money without selling physical media.

pretty fucking funny if you ask me

thanks for telling me the advantages of putting videos on youtube. my post was an apparently badly executed attempt at irony, as no record company would have put up full tracks for free 10 years ago. now they have realized they actually can make money without selling physical media.

pretty fucking funny if you ask me

Aaaaaah

Wait, let me fix that for you

this was pretty much the point being argued by big record companies 10 years ago innit

I was confused about the timeframe you were using. Like back then when you posted that. Instead of now, btw. Thanks though. My irony files will be updated in a second. Hopefully I'll be better prepared next time. And every other instance in the entire future, for that matter.

Archived