IGNORED

RIP Robert Zildjian

BobDobalina

Robert Zildjian, Sabian cymbal manufacturer, dies

RIP, massively influential presence in the drumming world. Shame he split with his brother over inheritance of the family business but he definitely made the best of it, and Sabian is nowadays generally regarded as being on par with the Zildjian brand in quality and sound. I had always thought the name Sabian had some sort of Turkish origin until I read an interview in which he mentioned in was an amalgam of his kid's names - Sally-Bill-Andy or something like that - which I thought was pretty cool.

TBH I own Zildjians, but I've played plenty of Sabians over the years and they were on the school kit that I started out on. Rocktagon FTW.

Wow, had no idea about the business history of both companies and the Zildjian family overall. Has parallels to the Addidas-Puma split.

And that's neat regarding the name too, I also assumed it was another Turkish or Armenian word. Looks like he was a great father and familyman, RIP.

Archived