IGNORED

My internet is bugging out - on just ONE computer

Squee

So I bought a new MacBook Pro a couple of weeks ago and it's beautiful and fast beyond belief. When I'm at work browsing the internet is no problem using my new computer. When I come home I can only load one website at a time. If I start loading more than one nothing loads at all and after a minute or so it stalls and tells me that it just times out and gives me the same error as if the website didn't exist.

I have done a wee bit of Googling to see if I could find an answer to my problem and the most frequent answer has been to use Google's DNS address or that infamous 208.67.222.222 + 208.67.220.220 DNS but it hasn't helped at all. And remember, it's only on my new MacBook Pro. My iMac and old MacBook Pro have no problems at all. When I perform internet speed tests it shows no sign of slow speeds.

Help me, internet wizards!

Try a different web browser? How is local network traffic? Could be a dhcp conflict. Run a continuous ping and see if you get any timeouts while you are browsing.

Try a different web browser? How is local network traffic? Could be a dhcp conflict. Run a continuous ping and see if you get any timeouts while you are browsing.

I have tried a different browser and that didn't help.

DHCP conflict? :)

MacBook Pro

There's your problem...

This new "ban from thread" function is amazing.

Your router hands out ip's via a service called DHCP. If there is a conflict somewhere your computer might be fighting for an already taken IP. Try rebooting the router?

i have a really infuriating problem on my desktop pc where it says the internet is working, right up to the windows diagnostics saying its fully functional, coming up with the name of the network, and the bytes sent thing firing up as normal, and yet nothing internet based loads, while all the laptops in the house work fine. does it for 12 hours or so then works again. nightmare.

i have a really infuriating problem on my desktop pc where it says the internet is working, right up to the windows diagnostics saying its fully functional, coming up with the name of the network, and the bytes sent thing firing up as normal, and yet nothing internet based loads, while all the laptops in the house work fine. does it for 12 hours or so then works again. nightmare.

Might have to do with what Squee brought up in his initial post with DNS settings. Next time it happens open up your command prompt (start > run > type in cmd and hit enter)

In the black box type: ping google.com

If you get a time out then try the following: ping 4.2.2.1

If that gets a response that means internet is cool, just having issue with DNS, or resolving a domain name to an IP address. But if you get a timeout pinging that IP then it's something else going on hardware or software wise.

Think of DNS like a phone book for the internet. It stores records for public IPs (telephone numbers) to domains (peoples names).

You can try manually changing your DNS servers to osmething like googles and see hwo things go.

lol at how a simple have you tried turning it off and on again helped. :wink:

I fear my router. It's a combined modem and router and I've had plenty of trouble with it, so I just stay out of its way as long as it lets me stay connected to the internet :)

Archived