IGNORED

Trans Canada Highway leaked

azatoth

Guest Shockerbrown

i preorderd it but i saw soulseek on my desktop so..yeah......

but ok, here's my first impression:

if you compare this with the older releases like mhtrtc and geo i'm really missing the dryness/vintage sound. the ep has same sound like thc. the same filter techniques like if they're using that 80's unison filter for the drum and percussion. through this it sounds more stereo but on the other hand, there's no dryness...

it's like if they're aiming for a complicated drum/percussion sound. the melodies are more hidden this time, more ambient.

so my conclusion:

the mastering/production techniques are better than the older releases. but maybe we can say that "sound engineering" is not the most important thing for a good release.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really dig it. A little too short though. Left Side Drive is really cool, and Skyliner is great (ya gotta dig that melodic sweep that comes in at 3:55, fantastic).....

"Heard" and "Under" are both lovely tracks, but wwwwaaaayyyyy too short. The whole "filler" thing is a bit stupid on an EP. "Dayvan Cowboy" can rot in hell, I hate that song.

Overall, quite a good release.

Guest twiddler

Dayvan Cowboy and the remix are both great. The remix is probably the best thing here - nice drones, makes me think that Odd Nosdam likes acid a lot...

Left Side Drive is good, but in a few listens gets a bit boring. Nothing they haven't done before - it's like they're ripping off themselves(to be more specific: Beach at Redpoint, Kid for Today, Aquarius, Smokes Quantity, and yeah, even Forest Moon). But at least it's light years better than other people ripping them off.

Along with the trailer, it shows a great lack of new ideas. BoC once said they would be happy if My Bloody Valentine doesn't release anything anymore(Loveless being the perfect album). Well, they are certainly not getting better.

Oh, I forgot, the synths at the end of LSD, same idead as in the Boom Bip remix.

Guest killyou and shit

got a promo copy of the new ep and jamie lidell's multiply additions last week, been digging them ever since. although i had a cd-r version of the lidell ep for at least two weeks now. working at music store hooks you up so serious, oh my lord.

Guest killyou and shit
Dayvan Cowboy and the remix are both great. The remix is probably the best thing here - nice drones, makes me think that Odd Nosdam likes acid a lot...

he's more of a flying saucer attack/feedbackey space rock kind of guy. unless you mean the drug, in which case, no fucking clue bro. you should check out burner though, nosdam's most recent release is not too far off from this remix

Guest twiddler

he's more of a flying saucer attack/feedbackey space rock kind of guy. unless you mean the drug, in which case, no fucking clue bro. you should check out burner though, nosdam's most recent release is not too far off from this remix

yeah i meant the drug... I think someone from cLOUDDEAD mentioned that about Nosdam

Guest *__DOLLA MENU__*

ha, downloaded this today. it's quite good. ive got it preordered as well.

Guest cosmonaut

downloaded today as well. not sure what all the fuss is about this left side drive.. sounds like a campfire headphase reject to me. skyliner is my favourite on here, i like it a lot. and to be honest i think the odd nosdam mix is the most disappointing thing i have ever heard from any anticon participant, it's a load of fucking shite... 9 minutes? could have been made ten times better by being cut to 3.

if you compare this with the older releases like mhtrtc and geo i'm really missing the dryness/vintage sound. the ep has same sound like thc.

i agree.

Guest twiddler

Left Side Drive is good, but in a few listens gets a bit boring. Nothing they haven't done before - it's like they're ripping off themselves(to be more specific: Beach at Redpoint, Kid for Today, Aquarius, Smokes Quantity, and yeah, even Forest Moon). But at least it's light years better than other people ripping them off.

Along with the trailer, it shows a great lack of new ideas. BoC once said they would be happy if My Bloody Valentine doesn't release anything anymore(Loveless being the perfect album). Well, they are certainly not getting better.

Oh, I forgot, the synths at the end of LSD, same idead as in the Boom Bip remix.

I don't think so now. To have style means to steal from your previous work, and apart from that BoC works almost never work for me the first time around. I liked the first TCH in a few months, maybe this will happen with the second too.

Guest Yggdrasil
I don't think so now. To have style means to steal from your previous work, and apart from that BoC works almost never work for me the first time around. I liked the first TCH in a few months, maybe this will happen with the second too.
interesting to note that i had MHTRTC shelved for about 8 months before i actually started enjoying it. now it's one of the greatest albums i own. for a while i thought the whole 'grower' idea was a load of bullocks, but music has the right definitely proved me wrong.

the only problem with boc, in my opinion, is that i find myself skipping tracks whenever i put one of their albums in. i hardly ever listen all the way through, unless it's on vinyl and i'm thoroughly smoked. i skip 'color of the fire' so often, i've become accustomed to 'eagle in your mind' segueing into 'telephasic' seamlessly. my guess is that i'll likely end up skipping the short tunes and dayvan on this EP, and going straight for left side drive, skyliner, and the nosdam remix. shouldn't have to do this with a body of work, imo. then again, haven't heard the tunes, so this might be different.

i have no use for the remix. sure it's interesting, the way it comes in different little movements. but, it's nothing that I'll give repeated listens to.

i have no use for the remix. sure it's interesting, the way it comes in different little movements. but, it's nothing that I'll give repeated listens to.

wurd.

i'd maybe be a little more forgiving if it was a trackin it's own right. as a remix it's fairly pathetic. if you listen to it with no associations to the original track, it improves somewhat, as a stand alone if you will.

• 2 weeks later...
i got this today.

i'd only heard 'skyliner' before so it was a nice suprise... short but sweet. only listened through a few times but i really like it.

oh, and the DVD is just the video... there's no secret coordinates :laughing:

so no golden ticket for you then. :cry2:

Guest Yggdrasil
My first reaction to left side drive was not what people in this thread were saying.

But after giving skyliner its due, it really started to grow on me.

accidentally baked poop, is that you?

Hey, does anyone with the vinyl find that the pressing is noisy, particularily in the right channel? It's a coloured vinyl so some noise is expected (since it's made with cheaper wax) but it can be a little distracting during the quieter bits...

Guest PerryH

Did it really leak? I've had the actual EP for like 3 days now. It came early i guess, if that's what you mean.

left side drive isn't copying anything ... i'm completely obsessed with this track, it's right up there with their best work

Yeah, I agree. I was absolutely blown away by it, and still am every time I listen to it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jlp373tisch
Left side drive for me will never get boring like buckie high or 5-9-78 its so good if this is what the new album will sound like i cant wait.

seconded, but that goes double for skyliner which will never die 500 and counting

Archived