IGNORED

Old Tunes Master List

Alzado

Fredd-E: you don't have catalogue numbers for the OT releases either - A few Old Tunes is CANCAS001, and Old Tunes Volume 2 is CANCAS003. Since the mystery tape doesn't have a liner, we can assume it's CANCAS001, and probably Old Tunes Volume 1. Then again, we might be wrong on that assumption :rolleyes:

Guest Moebius
Fredd-E: you don't have catalogue numbers for the OT releases either - A few Old Tunes is CANCAS001, and Old Tunes Volume 2 is CANCAS003. Since the mystery tape doesn't have a liner, we can assume it's CANCAS001, and probably Old Tunes Volume 1. Then again, we might be wrong on that assumption :rolleyes:

Er, you said CANCAS001 twice. Do you mean AFOT is CANCAS001 and that you are guessing the mystery tape is CANCAS002?

(the AFOT pics don't show the cat. number so I can't check myself :P)

speaking of photos, Fredd-E, you have two pictures of buildings in a rural setting in a folder called 'hexagon' on your site.

these aren't pictures of the studio, are they? if so where did you get them and who from?

Honestly I don't have a clue.. I think I've downloaded all those pictures from Davidac long time ago and just made them available online. Those files were tagged 'hexagon' so I kept it that way.

ah. the reason i ask is because the wooden staircase on the side of this building:

boards-of-canada--hexagon-02.jpg

looks very simiilar to one that the boc brothers were sitting on in a picture from one of the recent TCH era interviews.

just wondering...

Er, you said CANCAS001 twice. Do you mean AFOT is CANCAS001 and that you are guessing the mystery tape is CANCAS002?

(the AFOT pics don't show the cat. number so I can't check myself :P)

I think that's indeed what he meant yes. I'll edit my pages right away :-)

Speaking of covers, Joyrex, weren't you promising to post some scans of BoC Maxima? :boc:

Yes, that's right - I'll try to remember to photograph the tape and J-Card tonight. Been busy!

Guest Moebius
Finally I remembered...

post-1-1147668795_thumb.jpg

Nice, but there' some nasty artifacting on the hats, could you save one at higher quality?

Guest Moebius

Are there any liner notes in BoC Maxima? I would guess there'd at least have to be a track listing.

Is Old Tunes V1 Tape 1 Track 14 not called Godever then (possibly not the same Godever as Closes V.1, although possibly as the track times are very similar). I'm getting rather conflicting information for various sources.

Is Old Tunes V1 Tape 1 Track 14 not called Godever then (possibly not the same Godever as Closes V.1, although possibly as the track times are very similar). I'm getting rather conflicting information for various sources.

Nobody knows for sure - the thing I find the most strange about all of these OT tracks is not ONE is off of the pre-Twoism releases. Now, with the unknown tracknames on one OT release there is a possibility, but considering OTV2 and AFOT contain NONE of the tracks from the pre-Twoism stuff, it makes me wonder if the pre-Twoism releases exist in a form at all as portrayed on BoC's old site, and perhaps the reason they took them off (besides being constantly bugged by fans about them).

Now, on the other hand, we DO have OT tracks that appear outright or in various forms on current BoC releases, so it is safe to assume that the OT releases are genuine (I know that's obvious, but in the past it's been sugggested that not all the tracks are done by BoC - take that for what you will).

Nobody knows for sure - the thing I find the most strange about all of these OT tracks is not ONE is off of the pre-Twoism releases. Now, with the unknown tracknames on one OT release there is a possibility, but considering OTV2 and AFOT contain NONE of the tracks from the pre-Twoism stuff, it makes me wonder if the pre-Twoism releases exist in a form at all as portrayed on BoC's old site, and perhaps the reason they took them off (besides being constantly bugged by fans about them).

Precisely my thoughts. Also strange is the fact that the Old Tunes cassettes have very lo-fi inserts, probably just B & W photocopies cut out and folded, while the pre-Twoism albums apparently have full color cover art. It all seems a bit fishy to me.

That said, I hope they exist, and the track names and themes for each album seem too well thought out to be just a put-on. Not to mention the samples of Duffy and Circle are real enough.

It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the tracks, given their 6 to 9 minute track times in some cases, are extended ambient drones, or actual jams with live instrumentation. Which would suit me just fine.

Ah, just looking back at the covers and supposed track listings for these albums rekindles my desire to hear them. The tracks have such great names, not like the rather predictable, even "BoC-cliche" track titles from Geogaddi and TCH. I mean: "Growing Hand"? "Echo the Sun"? "Tends Towards"? "Seward Leaf"? "Point Hope"? How could these not be great tracks. I'm drooling...

Ooh lumpenGriff, you couldn't attach the Circle clip could you. That's the only clip of the old site I'm yet to get.

Yeah the mysteries of this old stuff sure is strange. Especially with the colour vs. black and white releases of covers......I wonder if this'll ever got solved.

Precisely my thoughts. Also strange is the fact that the Old Tunes cassettes have very lo-fi inserts, probably just B & W photocopies cut out and folded, while the pre-Twoism albums apparently have full color cover art. It all seems a bit fishy to me.

yeah, i guess if those "records" were real, the tapes were done between 87-95 but the artwork (CD sleeve fit) done in 1997 : from discogs (from old site infos) : Originally released as cassette only in 1987. But in 1997 was re-pressed to CD. also, just looking at the "catalogue 3" artwork, it would have been really difficult to do that in 1987 while anyone since mid 1990's could have done that simple cover with photoshop, etc..

still strange that all those tracks on pre-twoism eps do not appeared in old tunes or in official releases...

Well, another clue is the cover of BoC Maxima on the site is not exactly the same as the actual release - you can tell they cropped and squashed the original cassette cover to make the supposed CD cover.

Another interesting thing is the catalogue numbers for those early releases - some follow the CAN- designation (for CANada, obviously), but others use "AO" (?) and THS (Turquoise Hexagon Sun), and BOARD1 (for Twoism, their first commercial release).

Mike and Marcus obviously did Twoism as a whitelabel with stickers (probably a lot cheaper than having sleeves and labels printed up as part of the pressing of the vinyl), and although I've never seen an original Twoism cassette, I'd make the assumption it's like the BoC Maxima cassette (colour copied insert).

I don't have my original Twoism printing to compare, but can someone verify if the stickers are laser colour copies or offset printing (take a maginifying glass and look for the halftone dots that make up a professionally printed image). Colour copied images don't have this (unless the image was originally printed offset and scanned so the halftone dots show up.

OK, time to take off teh anorak... :laughing:

Guest Moebius

Now, on the other hand, we DO have OT tracks that appear outright or in various forms on current BoC releases, so it is safe to assume that the OT releases are genuine (I know that's obvious, but in the past it's been sugggested that not all the tracks are done by BoC - take that for what you will).

Indeed, it's strange; on one hand, we have this extensive pre-Twoism discography that we are assured actually existed but we have seen neither hide nor hair of (save the old realaudio clips). On the other, we've now seen a fairly massive number of leaked tracks from releases that no one had even heard of before they surfaced. Weird, eh?

I've looked at cross-referencing the track times of "OTV1" and the pre-Twoism releases, but nothing really syncs up that conclusively. I toyed with the idea that the Closes tracks were among them -- the idea being that that each "close" was one of the short interlude tracks (since OTV1 already has a number of interludes that showed up later in the commercial work as well as a number of other short interlude-sounding pieces).

Guest Moebius
Another interesting thing is the catalogue numbers for those early releases - some follow the CAN- designation (for CANada, obviously), but others use "AO" (?) and THS (Turquoise Hexagon Sun), and BOARD1 (for Twoism, their first commercial release).

From a previous discussion about the music70 cat numbers, someone made the suggestion that AO stood for Alpha and Omega. Not a bad guess, but not conclusive either.

Curiously enough, too, Catalog 3 was listed as CANC19 and released in 1987, while the old tunes CANCAS001-003 releases were all released around 1995 or so. You could argue, though that the CANC19 cat number belongs to the 1996 CD re-press.

Hmm, in relation to this idea, Joyrex, can you confirm the catalog number on your copy of Boc Maxima?

Mike and Marcus obviously did Twoism as a whitelabel with stickers (probably a lot cheaper than having sleeves and labels printed up as part of the pressing of the vinyl), and although I've never seen an original Twoism cassette, I'd make the assumption it's like the BoC Maxima cassette (colour copied insert).

Right, one of the Cosmic Crofter's old electronic music-l posts when he was distributing these to fans said Mike had gone to the trouble to paste the original artwork stickers on for the copies to give away.

Archived