IGNORED

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion

Guest Mirezzi

yeah i just started and some fucking wizard dropped out of the sky...hooked now lol

took me awhile to realize it was more rpg based and not all my attacks would work against the monsters

Yeah, frustrating as. Fucking swinging a warhammer at a mudcrab that's just sitting there and missing is rather infuriating. I'm glad they fixed that with Oblivion. Capsaicin kinda has a point, though I disagree in some ways.

If they could find a middleground between Oblivion and Morrowind it'd be amazing. Can't wait for the next gen Elder Scrolls.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest philia

about 17 hours into oblivion now. basically i think it's good, but inferior to fallout 3 in every aspect. :confused: i know that isn't quite fair because oblivion is the older game, and also maybe i feel this way because i generally dislike highfantasy lotr settings...but... on the whole i feel that it's ultimately less immersive.

it feels as if my character just does whatever quests for no reasons. feels like my choices don't matter. it was the same in fallout a little, but when i did something 'bad' in fallout i actually felt bad. can't say the same for the experience in oblivion. the quests themselves aren't developed as much either, they are just things to do. in fallout, each quest was like it's own little novella.

and for me, the most disappointing thing in oblivion is how not fun exploring the world of cyrodiil is. again, this may be because i don't like the setting much - but the wasteland in fo3 was much more interesting and beautiful imo, and i genuinely enjoyed just exploring it.

the leveling system is also an ordeal in oblivon as well. but, i will continue with it because i do still enjoy the game so far.

putting oblivion on hold as i'm playing point lookout now :smile:

Guest catsonearth
about 17 hours into oblivion now. basically i think it's good, but inferior to fallout 3 in every aspect. :confused: i know that isn't quite fair because oblivion is the older game, and also maybe i feel this way because i generally dislike highfantasy lotr settings...but... on the whole i feel that it's ultimately less immersive.

it feels as if my character just does whatever quests for no reasons. feels like my choices don't matter. it was the same in fallout a little, but when i did something 'bad' in fallout i actually felt bad. can't say the same for the experience in oblivion. the quests themselves aren't developed as much either, they are just things to do. in fallout, each quest was like it's own little novella.

and for me, the most disappointing thing in oblivion is how not fun exploring the world of cyrodiil is. again, this may be because i don't like the setting much - but the wasteland in fo3 was much more interesting and beautiful imo, and i genuinely enjoyed just exploring it.

the leveling system is also an ordeal in oblivon as well. but, i will continue with it because i do still enjoy the game so far.

generally i agree with you, but i will say that the world in oblivion is much more expansive and open than in fallout. you can actually explore it, whereas in fallout there were a lot of places you couldn't go, a lot of things that blocked your path. you couldn't just walk from one side of the map to the other, there are parts where you'd have to go underground to get through, which was kind of a let down. i enjoyed the exploration in oblivion because you could pretty much go anywhere you could look at. i climbed a few mountains in that game that i didn't think i'd be able to. even if it just looked like "this mountain is the edge of the map" you could still get pretty far up the side of it before there was no more footing. the fallout map is definitely more immersive, but it's also kinda drab. overall i think fallout is a better game, but oblivion had a better map.

bethesda needs to take some time off and play mass effect for awhile and spice up their dialog scenes though. they're the worst parts of both games.

i need to get back into this at some point...playing Dead Space instead...goddamn that game is fun.

i gave up on the portals because they were all samey and the maps were fucking CONFUSING....i cant tell you how many times I would have to just randomly jump off a tower onto another one, lose 90% of my life just to get to a new area....that pissed me off the most about that fucking Oblivion world.

i liked the atmosphere of oblivion, and how it was first person, and the graphics were good. the dialogue , the voice acting, the repetitive quests and dungeons and caves, the endless glitches, and the broken leveling system ruined it for me. i hated fall out 3. full of glitches, same boring brown landscape the whole way. ugh

i hope in the next elder scrolls game they fix those problems

Maximus Mischief, I find it hard to believe you'd like any game. Both Oblivion and F3 are fantastic. Oblivion arguably has more replay value, but Fallout is more advanced graphically and combat-wise. As good as they are, though, I don't think they quite achieve "classic" status, mostly due to cheesy dialogue and story.

oblivion has the same boring green landscape the whole way :fee:

true, except for the mountain bits, the city bits, the coastal bit, the lands through the oblivion gates, the dungeons and castle sections.

no you're totally right. the fallout 3 pallette is pretty darn subdued (as I imagine it would be in a post apocalypse !) but it's still pretty varied.

Guest Glitchy

very cool game. I generally cant get into RPGs but this one was brilliant. I think aside from Chrono Trigger this may be the only RPG Ive played through.

didnt bother with Fallout. even though I love scifi the "look" of the game is what put me off. Oblivion just looks fucking awesome.

apparently there are two kinds of people - ones that enjoy the urban post-apocalyptic environment more, and those (myself included) that really enjoy walking through the woods, mountains, ...nature. for me, it's no contest: if you compare the interestingness of the environment, fallout totally looses. also, oblivion has the whole herb collecting thing - i was always picking herbs all the time, everywhere i went. and it's green, there are trees. everything in fallout is pretty much flat.

but yeah, i know. personal preference.

Guest olson

i bought oblivion today and put about 7 hours into it. i pretty much agree with you completely so far. the quests feel way less open ended than fallout.

Guest Glitchy
apparently there are two kinds of people - ones that enjoy the urban post-apocalyptic environment more, and those (myself included) that really enjoy walking through the woods, mountains, ...nature. for me, it's no contest: if you compare the interestingness of the environment, fallout totally looses. also, oblivion has the whole herb collecting thing - i was always picking herbs all the time, everywhere i went. and it's green, there are trees. everything in fallout is pretty much flat.

but yeah, i know. personal preference.

I think thats the draw actually. I will ocasionally just wander aimless in oblivion not doing any quests or picking fights. just walking around.

Definitely. I've just restarted playing this again from the start last night but I remember I never did the 'jump to town' (whatever it's called, where you transport by clicking on the map) feature to get anywhere as I enjoyed just going round the places taking in the pretty sights.

Guest Dr. Bunsen Honeydew

I played fallout long enough to get to the center of the DC area and was too frustrated with jumping through hoops to find my way through the city. for me that detracted quite a bit from the gameplay, its like they wanted to increase the time it takes to play by putting a quest in the middle of a maze. I can do without mindless maze walking. It was pretty fun though up until that point.

I skipped oblivion but morrowind was cool.

I played fallout long enough to get to the center of the DC area and was too frustrated with jumping through hoops to find my way through the city. for me that detracted quite a bit from the gameplay, its like they wanted to increase the time it takes to play by putting a quest in the middle of a maze. I can do without mindless maze walking. It was pretty fun though up until that point.

I skipped oblivion but morrowind was cool.

you could always venture out and do quests outside of downtown

this thread seems to prove the premise that gamers have become a lot more impatient. I can see how DC could be slightly frustrating, but seriously...what's gaming without a little bit of challenge? They give you the ability to fast travel afterwards, so boo-hoo...

somewhere there's a half-inch thick notebook where I painstakingly drew out each Fallout 2 map on graph paper, all items and quests listed. Sure it was geeky, but part of the fun was imagining mapping and exploring a new world. Nowadays gamers just buy game guides or look at walkthroughs online, and get frustrated at the slightest impediment.

It makes me sad how games have been dumbed down. The solutions to Tranquility Lane and the Presidential Supercomputer were made too easy just to avoid frustrating idiots. Games are succumbing to the same lowest common-denominator demographic targeting that hollywood is subject to.

as others have mentioned, I think a legit complaint about Fallout 3 is lack of sufficient reward for exploration or challenging tasks. I see nothing wrong with asking a player to go through hell, but there needs to be adequate compensation at the end to make them feel their effort was worthwhile. I think if they had spent a few more months fleshing out the different environments, giving more backstory, unique encounters, and unique items, it would have benefitted the game greatly. I really don't understand why it's so hard to write a few interesting paragraphs about why the guy who is shooting at you went nuts/hates you/is protecting his stash. System Shock 2 and Bioshock showed the power of audio logs; and Fallout 3 demonstrates this as well with the Keller tapes and Dunwich building, so I'm not sure why they didn't leverage it more extensively. Something as simple as a tape with a clue to some hidden stash makes exploration a lot more rewarding.

I'll never forget when I finally got the key to that scale model house in Minefield, and it only had a few simple items in it. Fucking lol, that never should have gotten past the devs...

Guest olson
as others have mentioned, I think a legit complaint about Fallout 3 is lack of sufficient reward for exploration or challenging tasks. I see nothing wrong with asking a player to go through hell, but there needs to be adequate compensation at the end to make them feel their effort was worthwhile. I think if they had spent a few more months fleshing out the different environments, giving more backstory, unique encounters, and unique items, it would have benefitted the game greatly. I really don't understand why it's so hard to write a few interesting paragraphs about why the guy who is shooting at you went nuts/hates you/is protecting his stash. System Shock 2 and Bioshock showed the power of audio logs; and Fallout 3 demonstrates this as well with the Keller tapes and Dunwich building, so I'm not sure why they didn't leverage it more extensively. Something as simple as a tape with a clue to some hidden stash makes exploration a lot more rewarding.

I'll never forget when I finally got the key to that scale model house in Minefield, and it only had a few simple items in it. Fucking lol, that never should have gotten past the devs...

what? i thought fallout 3 was pretty well fleshed out. theres little bits of backstory all over and most places have some unique item to reward your exploring. i dont think that every single raider needs to drop a diary explaining his innermost thoughts and why he is trying to kill you though. and there are definitely a lot of "hidden stash" notes or tapes, or other little items that lead you toward other areas (the weapon cache in the museum of technology comes to mind).

The radio transmissions that lead you to the bunkers were a fantastic little slice of side story.

Although I remember one with a Chinese voice I couldn't track down, near a destroyed bridge. And another one with a Chinese girl spouting anti American sentiment near the Brotherhood enclave I couldn't find the source of either.

Edited for retarded spelling

I've finished Oblivion and Fallout both. Took me a while to get into Fallout as I really think the first few levels are pretty difficult if you don't know what you are doing.

Archived