IGNORED

Bill Maher decides to permanently entrench himself on the wrong side of history

awepittance

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ughhhhh they are both absolutely insufferable people

I agree.

Also I think this matter will go forever unsolved. Governments need to keep secrets and we need a sort of meta-oversight to keep the government honest. All we can do is spin that plate for, you know, the rest of human history.

Guest disparaissant

he's a neoliberal capitalist hack who's using government leaks to further his own career and line his own pockets. he's not a fucking hero, he's a joke.

lol why is Greenwald insufferable? He's a fucking hero, but i guess even those people, the ones who put their whole lives on the line for the common good still turn people off via their personality

Greenwald is a dunce that had a pile of gold fall in his lap.

so ok lets take Greenwald out of the equation completely and relate Bill Maher's comments to the content of what's leaked, is he taking the 'right' side of this? If you guys have so much trouble with Greenwald's motivations or his personality type then maybe it's best to figure out your actual opinions on the fact that the US government is collecting all of your data and meta data 'to protect you from terrorism'

Guest disparaissant

lol okay whatever duder.

greenwald went and sold government secrets to a billionaire is essentially what happened. some fucking hero.

anybody else want to have a go?

ok

"what a bunch of cunts omg fucking politics and socioeconomical bullshit I can't believe this guy has these beliefs what an eternal twat fuck this shit fuck"

... how'd I do?

It is weird that in this day and age you can profit immensely from what he's doing. But I think that's a terrible reason to penalize him. I think he's done a great job of handling Snowden and the world's a better place for it. I hope he keeps going.

lol okay whatever duder.

greenwald went and sold government secrets to a billionaire is essentially what happened. some fucking hero.

that's extremely baseless and simply wrong, when did he 'sell' anything to a billionaire? You're talking about the guy who hired him among other journalists as his reason for leaving the guardian?

that is pure hyperbole and blatantly false what you've just said fyi

Guest disparaissant

no, it's really not. do you honestly believe that omidyar is going to let him leave and take all this juicy information with him? lol no. not a chance in hell. he sold it all out to a billionaire, period.

It is weird that in this day and age you can profit immensely from what he's doing. But I think that's a terrible reason to penalize him. I think he's done a great job of handling Snowden and the world's a better place for it. I hope he keeps going.

in what way has he 'profited immensely' from what he's doing more than any other journalist who gets paid to do journalism?. I've seen this smear floating around a lot lately but it seems like a variation on a classic smear. I know that you're not just calling him insufferable or something else that useless to have a discussion about, im just curious

no, it's really not. do you honestly believe that omidyar is going to let him leave and take all this juicy information with him? lol no. not a chance in hell. he sold it all out to a billionaire, period.

i can't even make sense of what you're saying. He's already written about a bunch of the stuff he got from Snowden and continues to do so after he left the guardian. So simply because a billionaire wants to be an activist you can't trust that these documents will continue to come out as they have been consistently since day one of the NSA scandal?

and yes it is hyperbole and at this moment in time *false* because it hasn't happened yet, you're speculating on what he's going to do, not commenting on what he's already done

Guest disparaissant

and do you honestly believe that, if he were to sever ties with pierre omidyar and abandon that whole venture, he'd really be allowed to do so? no chance.

I guess just in financial terms. I couldn't begin to put a number on it but I'm sure it's been a boon to him financially and career-wise. I couldn't be happier about it to be clear, I would reward as many people like him as possible if I could.

and do you honestly believe that, if he were to sever ties with pierre omidyar and abandon that whole venture, he'd really be allowed to do so? no chance.

This sounds like a critique of the political climate, not of Greenwald.

i'm fine with the idea that you don't have faith in his intentions or that he will continue revealing US government secrets to us as he has been doing since April 2013, but I lost you out of the gates when you called him a neo-liberal hack. Is this because he gets paid to work? I hesitate even asking you more questions because clearly you've made up your mind

Guest disparaissant

This sounds like a critique of the political climate, not of Greenwald.

it's a critique of both. greenwald is using the fucked up political climate to further his own career and/or pocketbook.

i'm fine with the idea that you don't have faith in his intentions or that he will continue revealing US government secrets to us as he has been doing since April 2013, but I lost you out of the gates when you called him a neo-liberal hack. Is this because he gets paid to work? I hesitate even asking you more questions because clearly you've made up your mind

it's not that i disbelieve he will continue to release secrets - at his leisure, and for pay - it's that i think calling him a "hero" is fucking stupid. he's doing this for his own gain. he's not anywhere near in the same league as ellsberg or manning - people who actually had the public interest in mind. he's an opportunist and he's milking this for all he possibly can.

to top it off, teaming up with pierre omidyar, of all people, for this shit just absolutely seals the deal.

I don't understand...should Greenwald give up his paying job as a journalist to gain more credibility?

It's not like Greenwald suddenly began writing against encroaching gov't programs with Wikileaks.

Guest disparaissant

no

what i am saying is that if greenwald really were the "hero" that ehrlichman says he is, he would have dumped the info and moved on with his career, instead of teaming up with another noted neoliberal capitalist opportunist to release the leaks for profit. that's not heroic, it's despicable.

i'm glad the info is getting out there, don't get me wrong. i just think that greenwald is a fink and omidyar is just straight up evil.

Archived