IGNORED

"Light From A Closing Door" - photographers please help

Luke, I'd stick with the very first one you posted. I was looking through some pictures of mine as I had an idea that seemed kind of fitting to the phrase "Light From A Closing Door" (which is a good title, too), but it didn't fit at all when I listened to the tracks. They have a warmth to them and my pictures don't, so I didn't bother posting them.

I think the first one you posted is the most powerful, I'll explain why: Cover art influences the way an album is perceived a huge deal, so it's kind of a tightrope walk between not being too minimal and not drawing an overly defined picture that overshadows the music. I think the pic from the first post manages to capture just that. It outlines a place and a mood but it doesn't give very much away. The black becoming this turquoise color is quite interesting and fitting to the theme imo as it suggests that there is an absence of something, a diffuse area that cannot be seen, but it kind of becomes a shape or an object of its own. The thumbnail-version of the pic looks pretty shitty, like a poorly feathered mask or something, I thought it was supposed to be a sketch, so I didn't even enlarge it at first. But on second look, it reveals that this apparent monochromatic plane is actually has depth and is just the result of a dark area that could not be captured. So in a way, it serves both as a blank space (like the Peel Session covers and such) but is also part of a place. Will there be writing on top of the image? I think it would work well with this one since you could use this turquoise area as a perfect canvas without having to compromise the image or the position of the text.

And, will this go into print or is this a digital only release? I think the picture would work especially well as a digipack sleeve. The additional pictures you posted would go well with it as sort of inner sleeve design, inlays, whatever.

I'm not such a huge fan of the last pic you posted that everyone else likes. The composition is a bit too simple for my taste and it doesn't really have as much character of its own. It does work on a certain level, but it's quite "safe", which I think is boring. Not very memorable. The other one would be the much braver choice.

Guest Dr. Bunsen Honeydew

Attached an image I found on the internet, not suitable for use but its the sort of image I had in mind in the original post. thought i would post it incase its some inspiration or something.

post-184-0-66995900-1394394158_thumb.jpg

Luke, I'd stick with the very first one you posted. I was looking through some pictures of mine as I had an idea that seemed kind of fitting to the phrase "Light From A Closing Door" (which is a good title, too), but it didn't fit at all when I listened to the tracks. They have a warmth to them and my pictures don't, so I didn't bother posting them.

I think the first one you posted is the most powerful, I'll explain why: Cover art influences the way an album is perceived a huge deal, so it's kind of a tightrope walk between not being too minimal and not drawing an overly defined picture that overshadows the music. I think the pic from the first post manages to capture just that. It outlines a place and a mood but it doesn't give very much away. The black becoming this turquoise color is quite interesting and fitting to the theme imo as it suggests that there is an absence of something, a diffuse area that cannot be seen, but it kind of becomes a shape or an object of its own. The thumbnail-version of the pic looks pretty shitty, like a poorly feathered mask or something, I thought it was supposed to be a sketch, so I didn't even enlarge it at first. But on second look, it reveals that this apparent monochromatic plane is actually has depth and is just the result of a dark area that could not be captured. So in a way, it serves both as a blank space (like the Peel Session covers and such) but is also part of a place. Will there be writing on top of the image? I think it would work well with this one since you could use this turquoise area as a perfect canvas without having to compromise the image or the position of the text.

And, will this go into print or is this a digital only release? I think the picture would work especially well as a digipack sleeve. The additional pictures you posted would go well with it as sort of inner sleeve design, inlays, whatever.

I'm not such a huge fan of the last pic you posted that everyone else likes. The composition is a bit too simple for my taste and it doesn't really have as much character of its own. It does work on a certain level, but it's quite "safe", which I think is boring. Not very memorable. The other one would be the much braver choice.

thanks, Terp!

i seriously appreciate the unpopular opinion, and you've actually halted me from just going with the last image i posted. now i feel challenged to try harder. i will be back. thanks again for your insight, this is partly what i think i was looking for.

god i need some plants in my house.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived