IGNORED

Terrence Dixon aka Population One retired

Amen Lare

I'm retired after 20 years of making music. Thank you

-- https://www.facebook.com/terrencedixon95

I know that it says nothing to a lot of you. Some kind of fame caught TD just a couple of years ago after the release of From The Far Future pt.2 which received accolades from central media outlets.

For a lot of years for me and my friend (telefunken here) Terrence was a hidden gem in a desert of minimal techno hype. He wasn't doing anything fancy or deliberately pleasing, yet his sense of minimalism rivaled the likes of Jeff Mills and Robert Hood. Unlike them he never left Detroit and stayed in that "grey area". For us he was a mythical figure. Background Records owner Andy Vaz, who first discovered Dixon, privately told stories how they were going around Detroit with him by a random car at every stop in true street gangster fashion. I flew 1800 km (1100 miles) to see him unexpectedly performing live abroad in 2007 only to discover that he had unresolved troubles in living the home country. It wasn't easy to connect these pieces of image with his methodically precise, shifting on a micro-level techno.

Eventually the mist got more clear after his coming into social network, Actress got big with some tunes under heavy influence of him and media got warmed into his odd aesthetics, taking him into account. With more releases to come out, his weaknesses and biases became visible. Though every once in a while he delivered something that was beyond direct comprehension. Last campaign like that was his own label Reduction with four Population One vinyls, label which he planned for many years, but only started last year.

As with his whole career it's difficult to see a reason behind his decision now, when he's finally in demand.

http://youtu.be/F7xAthi5Vrw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BKoR33LlGo

telefunken's remix of him deserve your attention

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RHdLJy9zCs

I'm guilty of neglecting Terrence's work a bit. I really need to dig into some of his older stuff.

Same here, though even a cursory listen indicates why he's been so acclaimed recently.

I know of other renowed Detroit techno producers (James Stinson, Omar-S) were DJing and producing while holding full-time jobs. No idea if this was the case for Dixon. I don't want to speculate any further on outside factors being involved, for all I know he just wants to simply bow gracefully and quietly out of the techno scene.

I wish him well and hope this decision (which I can only imagine was difficult) is one that benefits his situation.

I know that it says nothing to a lot of you. Some kind of fame caught TD just a couple of years ago after the release of From The Far Future pt.2 which received accolades from central media outlets.

For a lot of years for me and my friend (telefunken here) Terrence was a hidden gem in a desert of minimal techno hype. He wasn't doing anything fancy or deliberately pleasing, yet his sense of minimalism rivaled the likes of Jeff Mills and Robert Hood. Unlike them he never left Detroit and stayed in that "grey area". For us he was a mythical figure. Background Records owner Andy Vaz, who first discovered Dixon, privately told stories how they were going around Detroit with him by a random car at every stop in true street gangster fashion. I flew 1800 km (1100 miles) to see him unexpectedly performing live abroad in 2007 only to discover that he had unresolved troubles in living the home country. It wasn't easy to connect these pieces of image with his methodically precise, shifting on a micro-level techno.

Eventually the mist got more clear after his coming into social network, Actress got big with some tunes under heavy influence of him and media got warmed into his odd aesthetics, taking him into account. With more releases to come out, his weaknesses and biases became visible. Though every once in a while he delivered something that was beyond direct comprehension. Last campaign like that was his own label Reduction with four Population One vinyls, label which he planned for many years, but only started last year.

As with his whole career it's difficult to see a reason behind his decision now, when he's finally in demand.

Thanks for this primer, nice introduction to him and his work.

would you care to elaborate on that? :)

Archived