IGNORED

Ebola hits US

LimpyLoo

You guys fucking kill me.

Why would you want the CDC going in straight away? Would duplication of protocols in place have prevented anything? Forgetting for a minute the highly selfish nature of these individuals infected with ebola (Duncan lying his ass off, that fucking nurse in Maine for example), these are initial cases. So it his unlikely that anything would have been done differently, even by the CDC. Note that by September 30, nurses caring for Duncan had upgraded to hazmat suits: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/25/us/ebola-dallas-timeline.html

CDC further updated their protocols on October 18, with special reference to protective care. They updated these protocols based on "lessons learned" from the first case reported in US history in September of 2014. So within the time span of 20 or so days, they updated protocols for a massive organization - the US healthcare industry. I'm not quite sure you understand the scope of that. Was their first response perfect? No, but would it have been different had Duncan not lied his ass off about his travels and contact with Ebolees in West Africa? Most probably. For a potential outbreak of a deadly pathogen, I'd give the CDC a passing grade in how they handled it.
Some op-eds to read that give pretty balanced positions:
http://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/sunday-commentary/20141107-jeffrey-weiss-heres-how-the-cdc-can-restore-its-reputation-after-ebola-scare.ece
http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2014/10/23/cdc-ebola-gamble-public-confidence-trust-truth-not-clueless-czar-column/17800077/
Note the USA today's author tweet about the CDC (they're awesome):
https://twitter.com/AlexBerezow/status/531980554522984448

RE: that Tom Frieden picture - note the caption - he was being shepherded by MSF - so presumably it was their protocols he was following. I also like how you don't note the next picture down of WHO officials in the full white gear.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok it's 6 in the morning, so since I haven't seen the first video (i'm reading the transcript) I won't comment on it just at the present.

But you're going to counter some fairly well established facts about Ebola in America (namely, it ain't around as a threat in the general public right now) with a video about the developments of advertising in the early 1930s to create desire in people and enabling the government to manipulate mass populations, and this video that you're using was distributed by the government....interesting.

See here's the thing with conspiracy theory - why must there always be some element of control necessary. Is it that, perhaps you can't imagine outside actors? Maybe subconsciously, you need that element of control, because then we can contain it, we can define it as human created.

But in actuality, bad shit happens all the time, and since humans are highly fallible, people fuck up.

I actually love The Century of the Self and The Power of Nightmares, I think they are easily Curtis' most unambiguous works (that i've seen) and they do have a lot of truth to them. The problem of course is that extrapolating the information within those films to create a giant global conspiracy hellbent on enslaving the human race is utter nonsense.

Thinking that there is a conspiracy behind everything is a coping mechanism to the fact that we are ultimately powerless in a chaotic world. Thinking that someone is pulling the strings behind the curtain is a nice comforting thought, even if it's usually for some nefarious purpose. At least someone is in control. Conspiracy theories are taking religions place in the post secular world.

Noticed that Chen already said this, but whatevs

So i guess i wont be looking at the video delet posted... Saves me some valuable time. ;D

Did you know btw that Obama is pulling all the strings atm? So whenever anything bad happens in the world....Obama

So i guess i wont be looking at the video delet posted... Saves me some valuable time. ;D

Did you know btw that Obama is pulling all the strings atm? So whenever anything bad happens in the world....Obama

I read through the transcript, and there is some interesting information in there, particularly the ebola testing done in the 90s regarding aerosol transmission.

However they do talk about aid workers in West Africa getting incorrect protocols from the CDC (a bit of a paraphrase, but that's the gist of it); this is incorrect, as there was a coalition of INGOs in charge of aid workers in West Africa, including WHO, MSF, UNICEF, CDC, and others.

More on the management of the crisis here (pay close attention to the paragraphs about the world's response and the limits of the federal government in taking control due to the constitution of all things), and here.

However to take that and link it to "government conspiracy to control the masses" is a bit of a stretch, especially when some of these same people were asking why CDC (aka the government) didn't do a better job before the video.

Archived