IGNORED

Ebola hits US

LimpyLoo

The reaction in the US media has been bonkers, but governments' response has been a fucking joke

a pattern I've noticed throughout the entire Obama administration has been basically to seemingly let the media be fucking bonkers not bothering to jump in with a 'presidential' speech to shift the narrative to something more reasonable. I think the dude is just 100% checked out

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reaction in the US media has been bonkers, but governments' response has been a fucking joke

a pattern I've noticed throughout the entire Obama administration has been basically to seemingly let the media be fucking bonkers not bothering to jump in with a 'presidential' speech to shift the narrative to something more reasonable. I think the dude is just 100% checked out

Yeah, pretty much.

Really hope someone's able to do enough damage control on this narrative of governmental/medical incompetence before flu season hits and everyone really fucking panics.

Or perhaps there's a realization that no matter what he says in a speech, the media is going to continue to be batshit insane in order to fill that horrible, soul-sucking void that is the 24-hour news cycle?

I was reading the guardian today on some stupid shit on of the Tory ministers (I think he was a minister) had said, and there's a dude whose job it is to live-tweet the fucking proceedings of parliament. I mean for fucks sake, wouldn't his time be much better spent doing some research into some actual real reporting?

Since my roommate while I'm in Burma is a journalist, his biggest complaint is that his daily grind job is killing his ability to do actual research on bigger pieces. As all of his friends are pretty much journalists, the same thread is common in much of the conversation.

It's fucking idiotic.

On an Ebola related note: http://thediplomat.com/2014/10/has-china-found-the-cure-for-ebola/

To blame the federal government for the lack of funding for proper equipment, poor emergency reponse policies for hospitals (which I believe lies at the state level in the US*) is also a waste of time. Yes they should have made more efforts, and faster at immigration control, (especially in light of the fact that this guy specifically said he flew from Liberia), but for others who might not be symptomatic, what would you have them do? Detain and probe them? The hardcore liberals/libertarians would be screaming civil rights violations from the goddamned rooftops.

*edit: just realised that the federal government supplies a large portion of health related funding through medicaid...guess if texas opted out of medicaid expansion (which would have produced considerable amounts of revenue that the state could have put back into providing more and better equipment/training/etc...)

What I'm not understanding is that if we're sending in the National Guard from the U.S. to try and "contain" or fight it, whatever that means, (what are we going to do to "fight" it?), are we going to allow those some National Guards people who will probably be massively exposed to it, come back into the US? Even if they get diagnosed with Ebola there, unfortunately, I'm imagining we'll be sending scores of infected National Guards back to the US for treatment.

Yep, but it's all the nurses fault, and everyone's overreacting, this story gets less shocking by the day. Nothing to see here.

I thought back when they occurred that swine flu and says etc were beat ups, rumsfeld was a god damn investor in the company behind tamiflu. Nevertheless the way this is being handled, with the continuation of flights, the inaccurate and contemptible statements by figures in authority, the timing of the outbreak when the US was losing it's grip on western Africa, in the context of already lying about its proxy war against syria, the isil fighters acting on behalf of and funded, armed and paid by the US and client states in the region.

but he said on national tv that he would go in a room with a patient with only gloves and no other protective covering, and that it was actually better to not have that extra stuff. apparently the cdc website had that as their guidelines (only gloves necessary), which he was confronted with and didn't deny and seemed to confirm, as well as there being nurses at the dallas hospital saying they were told they didn't need face covering. to me this aspect, the cdc head saying that and their website apparently having it as guidelines (which he didn't deny and seemed to confirm and agree with), should be a big focal point of wtfness (especially if it may have been why those nurses got it), but i haven't seen it talked about much/at all online anywhere.

Yeah, pretty much.

Really hope someone's able to do enough damage control on this narrative of governmental/medical incompetence before flu season hits and everyone really fucking panics.

Yes, the flu currently kills more people annually than Ebola, but that's not why people freak out. The real concern is the potential harm Ebola could do.

That's not to say there is actual cause for alarm, necessarily..

well yeah but also for myself and seemingly a lot of people its the fact that this seems to have shown that the cdc aren't really interested in doing their job to the degree that they should be doing it, to get to ground zero on day one and shut it down then and there, and they are also putting out some pretty questionable guidelines which seem to ignore the reality of the thing. so personally i have little faith in their ability to deal with a 'real threat' at this point.

Yeah, pretty much.

Yes, the flu currently kills more people annually than Ebola, but that's not why people freak out. The real concern is the potential harm Ebola could do.

That's not to say there is actual cause for alarm, necessarily..

What I mean is that when flu season hits, many, many people are going to look at their standard flu symptoms and absolutely fucking panic, particularly if it seems CDC et al are completely unable to contain an outbreak. I can imagine that the U.S. healthcare system will do much worse with mass hysteria than it does with Ebola.

they should all be posted to cover the story in west africa, thin the herd. Especially that amanpour bitch.

[this post was generated for the sole purpose of satire and in no way is suggesting that the cnn team leave the cnn centre, atlanta and go on location somewhere actually around the world for once]

The media cherrypicks. The big O can talk his ass off (which I believe he does, quite regularly?) and the media still is in mode of hysteria. Hysteria sells, not some rational president talking about stuff which might get the public to relax. Relaxation in a commercial perspective is only interesting if you can sell it. Like a massage or a vacation. Not someone making sense of the crap that's in the media.

Also, for a second I thought this thread was about a collection of EP's called "The Ebola Hits".

The media cherrypicks. The big O can talk his ass off (which I believe he does, quite regularly?) and the media still is in mode of hysteria. Hysteria sells, not some rational president talking about stuff which might get the public to relax. Relaxation in a commercial perspective is only interesting if you can sell it. Like a massage or a vacation. Not someone making sense of the crap that's in the media.Also, for a second I thought this thread was about a collection of EP's called "The Ebola Hits".

12 Golden Ebola Hits

Including the favorites:

"Hemorrhagical Mystery Tour"

And

"I've Got a Fever and the Only Prescription is Heperan, Oral Reydration and Dialysis"

Archived