IGNORED

gearreviews.watmm.com (or something)

Guest boo

just a simple page we can submit reviews to. like em411.

it shouldn't just be reviews of new purchases but also gear people have used for years and recommend. people are always asking what mixers, monitors, microphones, soundcards, analogue synths, digital synths, headphones, etc... they should buy. so it'd be useful to have the information in one place.

it could be organised by price range (budget and pro sections) and then gear type.

I like that - although I think gearbox.watmm.com would be a better name :cool:

So you would want the ability to submit reviews of gear and software used in making music, sort of blog-like?

We can have some people in charge of "approving" and editing submissions that would ultimately appear on the site (this is ultimately how the WATMM news and discography systems will work), but anyone could submit a review that would go into a "pending" status until an editor could review it and mark it approved.

I'm totally open to ideas, and there's no reason we can't do the same thing with EKT tracks - sort of a music review blog on WATMM.

Guest thisket

Me too. I'd contribute as much as I could.

Maybe there should be a page with a negative and positive side and each member could post an intelligent contribution. That following a technical description and summary. Maybe even tracks or just samples featuring the particular item. Maybe.

I like that - although I think gearbox.watmm.com would be a better name :cool:

So you would want the ability to submit reviews of gear and software used in making music, sort of blog-like?

We can have some people in charge of "approving" and editing submissions that would ultimately appear on the site (this is ultimately how the WATMM news and discography systems will work), but anyone could submit a review that would go into a "pending" status until an editor could review it and mark it approved.

I'm totally open to ideas, and there's no reason we can't do the same thing with EKT tracks - sort of a music review blog on WATMM.

yeah, nice. i'd be up for doing some approving.

Guest AlexPallas

i think its fair to say that we all know alot about electronic music and most of us are pretty arroghant...

this will be an interesting experimentation.

Guest Analogue Wings

sounds cool. we could just use a subforum in here and have posting guidelines (ie subject is name of gear) - no need for anything flash

Guest Mr. Modular
sounds cool. we could just use a subforum in here and have posting guidelines (ie subject is name of gear) - no need for anything flash

Agreed

• 1 month later...
Guest maoam

Yes this would be a useful feature.

What would ye think to having a separate gear reviews page instead of a subforum?

I think it would be easier to sort and search through. it can always be integrated into the site down the line. Plus it might help us think that maybe watmm could be more than a forum

I would prefer if we had something that is useful to us quickly and i am willing to develop it. i'll have a go at something over the weekend. i'll be doing a project soon at work in php so i could use the experience.

Sorry, I had forgotten about this thread - I'm a bit busy with freelance work at the moment, but perhaps this weekend or next week I can set up gearbox.watmm.com and get a basic template hashed together for it so you lot can get at it - What we'll do is have a 'pseudoforum' that will exist here but will directly link to the blog to drive traffic that way from the forum, so it doesn't get lost/forgotten out there on it's own. Of course, we can feed recent blog entries onto the WATMM front page as well as having a link to it there.

Guest maoam

so you're going to use an existing blogging package for this? what do you have in mind when you say basic template?

i had in mind to code the reviews page from scratch using php / mysql. guess i wont bother now, was looking forward to a spot of coding this weekend, ah well. gimme a shout if i can help with anything.

Guest 死んでく

I want to write something about the Roland SH101, Roland TR808, Roland TB303, Roland TR505, and perhaps some other stuff (Kawai K4, Korg MS2000). Got a whole bunch of experience on these machines...

Guest blicero

i would avoid getting an off-the-shelf package to run this. especially when you have ready and able peeps here offering to code it.

keeps it lightweight and easy to customize and maintain.

i am definitely up for coding this if you would like. let me know.

i could build it on my server then give you the files to simply install, if you're not comfortable giving people access to the watmm server (i wouldn't).

this would be really simple to code, and i'd be happy to help.

Sorry I've been away - busy with freelance work trying to pay off this Mac before the interest kicks in :fear:

I think using the software that is driving WATMM would be best; it already has a membership and permissions system in place (people could anonymously submit reviews as well that could be approved by an editor before publishing them).

I'm going to try to squeeze in some time right now to get a design done for it (basically 2 templates plus a submission page for non-member submissions), but how should we set up the categories (so people looking for a certain kind of gear could limit searches to just that if they wished) - by gear type, or what? Also I need a volunteer(s)? to be the 'editor' so they can edit and approve reviews. Somebody who is knowledgable about hardware would be best.

List out the categories you think would be best, and once that's settled I'll set up the blog and hopefully by then I'll have the template too (although we could launch it with a generic template if need be).

Guest Idiron's Giblets

hardware

- synths

- sampler

- drum machines

- workstations

- effects

- misc

software

- VST

- DAW

- sequencers